maintenance, care, compatibility
Today cockerels (lat. Betta splendens) are popular aquarium fish.
Belong to the family Macropod, suborder Labyrinth fish. In males, the character is snooty, for which they are called “fighting fish”.
They do not always tolerate settlements with other fish, it is difficult for them to live with their neighbors because of their pugnacity. If a male cockerel is housed in one aquarium together with another cockerel, then conflicts will arise between them that will result in bodily injuries and plucked fins.
But this does not mean that they can not be settled with fish. On the contrary, a good neighborhood harmonizes life in an aquarium.
If your tank is spacious, it has created an excellent aquascap that resembles a natural biotope, there are many plants, shelters, a biological balance is established – then all inhabitants will be comfortable. An important rule – it is impossible for more than one male cock to live within the same aquarium. They can not be called territorial fish, but it so happened that they will fight.
On one male you can settle several females, so it will be comfortable.
Betta splendens females are smaller in size, their fins are shorter, their character is calmer. But females can also conflict with each other, as well as with the male. Females can be kept in one nursery by 3-4 individuals.
They are less aggressive, but their character is also unpredictable. If you notice that the betta fish show constant aggression towards their neighbors, and this leads to fatal consequences, then do not spare money for another reservoir, settling in it a restless pet.
Rules for keeping Betta splendens in a common tank
These fish tolerate temperature drops and can feel good at a temperature of +18 and +25 degrees Celsius. But you can not allow sudden drops, because they harm the health of the pet.
Like a labyrinth fish, a cockerel should live in water that corresponds to the ambient air temperature in the room: + 22-26 degrees. Due to the fact that he knows how to breathe a labyrinth organ, aeration is not necessary – this should be taken into account by settling to him other fish that cannot live without dissolved oxygen.
Replace the water should be once a week, 20% of the total volume of the tank. Do not forget to clean the bottom of the remnants of food and dirt.
What rules should be followed so that cockerels can live peacefully in an aquarium with other fish? These rules apply to all cockerels, which can result in peaceful cohabitation with representatives of different types of fish.
- It is not recommended to keep with betta fish with long fins and brightly colored scales. Although the males themselves have a beautiful appearance, they are painfully perceived by “competitors”, which are external stimuli for them.
- You can not settle cockerels with large and predatory fish, for example, African and South American cichlids. The latter in themselves are peaceful creatures, friendly, but they do not get along with the fighting fish.
- Try to keep the fish in water that is suitable for everyone. You can not settle heat-loving and cold-loving species. For example, a golden fish cannot live in warm water, therefore it is incompatible with betta.
- Betta splendens fish can be settled with speckled catfish, tetras, gourami, swordtails, mollies. After settling the fish in the aquarium, observe their behavior. You can also keep the fish from a young age together, so they are better accustomed to each other. Fish should not be less than 5 cm in length. If the neighbor fish has died, do not hook the new fish with the rooster, otherwise it will score it.
- Compatibility with other fish will be successful if the betta lives in a spacious tank of 50-100 liters. There you can put a lot of decor, shelters, which will reduce to the “no” territorial claims and conflicts.
Take a look at the common cockpit aquarium.
There are such aquarium fish, the compatibility with which the betta is good, they live peacefully, with periodic fights that do not lead to death. These include gourami marble, cardinals, labo, lyalius, macrognathus, scalar.
But it should be noted that the first days of the settlement should be monitored for their reaction, in case of aggression, they are settled separately from each other.
Almost perfect compatibility of the fish Betta splendens with platies, Donaciinae, black mollies, ornatusami, nagging gourami, akantoftalmusami, befortiyami, Ancistrus, minors, ototsinklyuchami, rasbora, black tetra, Congo, botsiyami, tarakatumami, lorikariyami, gastromizonami Siamese, brocade catfish.
Males and guppies – it is believed that guppies and betts live in water with different parameters, therefore they are only conditionally compatible. There were examples of good compatibility, but it’s not always worth the risk.
Males can chase guppies throughout the aquarium until their fins are torn off. Guppies can live at a temperature of 18-28 degrees, although 22-25 degrees for them more than acceptable temperature.
The diet of both fish is the same, so some razvodchiki did not have difficulty in keeping.
Scalar and betta – compatibility is not bad, provided a spacious tank. These fish almost ignore each other, without attracting attention.
The males will rather distort each other than the scalar will bother. However, during spawning, scalars become more aggressive and can drive all neighbors, including labyrinth ones.
Set in the nursery a lot of shelters and plants to protect all.
Gourami – all species are close relatives of cockerels, so compatibility can be great. Gourami – curious creatures, tenacious and active, also feed, breathe with gills and atmospheric oxygen. Males do not bother them, sometimes it happens the other way around.
Plant them together in a tank of at least 70 liters cubic. All Macropod enemies are the same: they are large and predatory fish, with which they should not be settled.
Look at the cockerels in the company of gourami.
Mollies and cockerels can live in an aquarium because they carry the same water parameters. But there is one fact – slightly brackish water is preferred by mollies, but Betta is not.
Temperatures of 24-27 degrees is optimal for content. At low temperatures, both fish begin to hurt.
Molly – viviparous fish that must breed in a separate, spawning tank, so that no one will destroy their fry.
The bets are alone in aggressive hydrobionts, so they can be moved to the males only with a flock of 4-7 fish. In the aquarium fights are small, reaching only 8 cm in length.
Peaceful, you can keep them with the same neighbors, provided space and shelters. Males with them almost no conflict.
Corridors – as neighbors are suitable for many fish. They have a calm disposition, an interesting body color, and bring a lot of benefits.
If the rooster does not eat the food, the corridor will pick it up. Somiki swim at the bottom of the aquarium, cockerels at the bottom only sleep.
Compatibility between them is proven, cockerels rarely bother corridors. The corridors, like labyrinths, can use atmospheric air for breathing.
Such a pet can survive under critical conditions. Somiki poorly tolerate salt and organics, as well as betta.
Replacement of water in the general aquarium should occur once a week.
Pretty active fish with predatory instinct. They can pester the neighbors in the aquarium, so they are suitable representatives of those species that are able to stand up for themselves, they are:
If you notice that the barbs are pestering and driving these types of fish, consider options for moving to a spacious or separate aquarium. These fish have a very unpredictable character. It is categorically impossible to settle with:
- South American and African cichlids;
- Carp koi;
With discussion, loach, and guppy, compatibility may be partial, depending on the line of behavior of each fish.
As representatives of the sub-order Labyrinths, they are distinguished by very lush and fan-shaped fins, which, perhaps, are not averse to cutting off some neighbors. The table indicates that representatives of the following types are compatible with them:
You can not settle with the barbs, scalars, cichlids, discus, loach, goldfish, gourami, koi carps, astronotusami, labo, shrimp.
The most ancient and popular representatives of home aquariums. They have a peculiar character, besides, their color is very noticeable, therefore, they are compatible only with the representatives of their family, the Karpovs, the karpami koi.
Deciding what kind of fish to start first in your tank can be sudden, and can be thought out. Unfortunately, novice aquarists are often guided by the very first impulse, completely without understanding the fish. And then, instead of joy and pleasure, they get a headache and problems.
You need to choose the fish wisely, because their life and your comfort depend on your choice. Before you go to the store or to the market, study all the available information about the fish that you liked.
What kind of fish is not worth buying for beginners, we have considered here. And the top 10 unusual fish here.
And in order to make it easier for you to navigate, we have compiled a list of the best aquarium fish for beginners and briefly described them. All of them are distinguished by unpretentiousness, tolerance to conditions in an aquarium, peaceful nature, livableness and modest size.
We hope that it will help make your choice easier!
Danio rerio is a small (up to 5-6 cm), elegant fish. For its small size, peaceful disposition and unpretentiousness, it has earned great popularity in aquarium.
Since this is a schooling fish, it is better to keep at least 5-6 individuals. The aquarium can be planted with plants, but it is important that the danios have free space for swimming near the surface, as this is a very mobile fish. If you are going to have a veil form, do not plant them with fish that may tear off fins, for example, with a Sumatran barbus.
The aquarium should be closed, as danios can jump out of the water.
Omnivorous, they eat any kind of feed – branded, live, frozen. It is better to feed them with flakes, as they pick up food from the surface of the water and they don’t collect them for a long time without sinking.
It is very easy to breed danios, for once the female lays from 200 to 500 eggs.
This is a very small (2.5-3 cm) and very unpretentious fish. However, it is brightly colored, just divorced and completely non-aggressive, even the cardinals do not touch their fry.
They tolerate cold water, some even keep them in the summer in a pond in the yard. They love to move in the middle layers, and also like to gather in flocks.
You need to keep them in small flocks, from 6 pieces. Although it is possible and large, with its modest size, the cardinals do not require large aquariums.
With good content can live up to 3 years.
Fishes belong to the same genus – labyrinth. These fish live in water that is poor in oxygen and adapted to this by learning to breathe oxygen from the surface.
You will see how they rise to it, to take another breath of air. Small, peaceful, males are very brightly colored, and their ventral fins have turned into long processes.
You can feed any feed, including floating. Only give the moth with care and a little, it is poorly digested.
Already after the publication of the article, my readers corrected. The essence – liliaus can be difficult for beginners (he is just a little flaky and jealous of females). I agree, and add that there is another wonderful fish of the same kind – gourami.
There are many types, but for beginners a good choice would be marble gourami. Very hardy, peaceful, of unusual shape and color.
It is generally similar to lyalius, but larger and less demanding. So you can stop at this gorgeous fish, and start up a little later.
Peaceful, small fish, the males of which have a very bright color, for which they got their name. This is a schooling fish, so to keep a cherry barb is better from 5 pieces.
But you will notice that he keeps loosely, gathering in a flock only in case of fright. The size of the cherry barb is small, the color of the males is bright red and very noticeable, the requirements for the content are low.
This is a good fish to mention on our list.
A pair of cherry barbs
Neons are small freshwater fish of the Kharatsin family. In the wild, they are very active and brisk, able to quickly hide from predators, maneuvering among thick plants. Body size reaches 3 cm in length, life expectancy depends on water temperature: from 1.5 years to 3 years.
Behavioral characteristics: due to a peaceful disposition, they can live together with each other in a flock, as well as with other species of fish. Guppies and neons, petsyli and neons, catfish and neons get along well in the same aquarium.
Such compatibility is beneficial for novice aquarists, since these types of fish will definitely not harm each other.
What else should be considered in compatibility? Males of neons are brighter in color than females, the contrast of scales depends on the species. But one thing unites them – a horizontal strip passes through the body, which glitters with “neon” shimmering even in darkness.
This feature can be attractive to predatory fish and those who do not welcome next to their more beautiful neighbors. So settle a flock of neons of 5-7 fish and more in a spacious tank with shelters so that in case of unforeseen attacks, they can hide in time.
Neons are characterized by calm behavior, and only during the spawning season they become overly active and cocky. Therefore, choose as your neighbors for them fish are not predatory, but omnivorous or herbivorous, balanced and not very playful.
There are a number of rules that are important to ensure that the compatibility of neons with other fish in the aquarium is the most successful.
Look at the successful version of the general aquarium with neons.
- Compatibility is possible between fish that live in the wild in a similar environment. Neon fish live in water at a temperature of 18-24 ° C, pH 5.5-7.5 pH, hardness 8-20o. Therefore, their neighbors in the aquarium should be adapted to the same parameters.
- Neon cannot be settled with large predators that feed exclusively on meat and carrion. Otherwise, peace-loving neons will become prey for them – the fins can be cut off, at a minimum.
- You can not settle in the general aquarium fish large and small, such an incompatibility can cause severe stress, or loss of bright body color.
- Choose neighbors, similar in temperament. Small and nimble fish will feel comfortable in the company of calm and not fast fish. What is it for? The fact is that the activity of fish can cause fluctuations in water, which can lead to stress.
- Neons are schooling fishes, not loners. They feel well in the company of the same kindred, the fish alone will not live long.
Neon get on well in the home pond with such aquarium fish: Pecillia (guppies, swordtails, mollies, placiums), speckled catfish, panda, tetra, danio rheo, labo, rastar, minors, gourami, iris, pulcheras, minors, hyacinths, sweaters, laboratories, rasomes, minors, gourami, iris, pulcheras, minors, marines, sweaters, minors, gourami, iris, pulcheras, minors, and fish. Consider compatibility with some fish in more detail.
See how well the scalar and neons get along in one aquarium.
Somiki corridor are excellent neighbors for small haracin ones, live together in the bottom layers of the aquarium, and collect remnants of uneaten food. The corridors are innocuous fish, also small and peaceful, they love to watch their neighbors without harming them.
Rasbory – can make an excellent company neon. Among them: the actual rasbory, boraras, microassemblies and trigonustigma, some of them belong to the family Karpovye.
Fishes of the Family Petsilievye (guppies, molly, sword-bearers, petsilia) – peacefully cohabit with haracin. Swordtails also have small body size, but males may be excessively active.
It should be borne in mind that more than two swordtail males sometimes pursue smaller neighbors, especially during the spawning period. With insufficient feeding, in the cramped, small place for swimming, the swordtails become unbearable.
So that these fish do not terrorize small neons, the aquarium should be spacious, with a sufficient number of plants and shelters.
Neons are poorly compatible with such fish:
- Large catfish, cichlids, barbs, astronotus, cockerels, koi carps – those who live in cool water, or have a predatory, aggressive behavior.
- Goldfish – they live in cool water, and are aggressive towards bright fish and their offspring.
- Angelfish – can live with neons only under the condition that they all grew up with the age of young animals. But neon-stranger scalar will be perceived as food. Also during the mating season, the scalar will be aggressively inclined towards everyone, including these small fish.
To date, the choice of aquarium fish is very large. It all depends on your preferences and financial capabilities.
But for a beginner aquarist it is necessary to choose unpretentious fish, with a calm character and good relations with other inhabitants. Many newcomers love the angelfish for their beauty and grace, combined with leisure.
However, for the content in the aquarium is not the easiest fish. An important factor is the knowledge – with whom the scalar live well.
To feed they are quite unpretentious, they feed on all its varieties. It is better to choose food that does not sink, since the angelfish mostly float near the surface, and will not collect it from the bottom.
You need to feed 2-3 times a day. Do not overfeed in any case, as they are prone to obesity. This may lead to the impossibility of reproduction.
It is useful even to arrange a fasting day for them once a week.
Another undoubted advantage is the affordable price of scalar, their relative simplicity in content, high probability of reproduction. These fabulously beautiful fish willingly get along with a lot of other representatives of the underwater world.
It should be borne in mind that the scalar is a predatory fish, therefore, almost all small fishes settled to it will be perceived as food. And for larger fish of the predator family, the scalar herself can become an object of hunting. Especially if you take into account its slowness when combined with a calm character.
Another point is to move neighbors to these fish better from a young age; if they grow up together, they can coexist peacefully throughout their lives.
Let’s look at what kind of fish can live with scalars in an aquarium?
- SomicsPractically all get along with these calm and sluggish fishes. Somiks are bottom dwellers, the angelfish simply will not notice them, since they absolutely do not care for the aquarium bottom. These fish live well together in the aquarium.
- CichlidsAlthough they belong to the same species, the ideal symbiosis is not always obtained. It would seem, relatives, what should they share? But the thing is that in contrast to the scalar, other representatives are more nimble and more aggressive. Most often, fights occur because of a place at the trough. There is a high probability of a certain confrontation between stronger fish from different schools in the aquarium.
- Barbusses.Very often it is advised to move the barbs. This is quite justified, they live well together. But there are several points: the temper of the barbs is significantly different, they are more active, they can easily leave scalar without lunch. Also because of their activity, these fish can offend calmer cichlids, and sometimes even manage to bite off their fins. Therefore, when you obselenie need to carefully observe their behavior.
- Gourami.These fish are also quite large in size and, together with the scalars, create a beautiful composition in the general aquarium. But you need to settle them together from the young age, then problems should not arise. Otherwise, you can not count the representatives of both species.
- Danio.It is believed that danios can easily coexist with scalars. Yes, it is possible. But it is possible that in the absence of light, scalaries can easily open up a hunt for them with the purpose of eating. Although danios are not that simple either. If this happens, they develop a reflex, and with the onset of the night the fish in the aquarium hide closer to the bottom.
See how the pink angelfish and danios get along together perfectly.
- PequillyExcellent live in the same aquarium. Angelfish more often than not just notice the representatives of this species. Therefore, these fish will be excellent neighbors.
- The irisFully compatible, when taken into account, if they grow with scalars since childhood. Although sometimes you can miss a pair of iris in an aquarium.
- GuppyWith varieties of guppies, scalars can get along, but they can – not. If they are lodged together with fry, then most likely they will be quite comfortable. But of course, newborn fry will be eaten by angelfish. But it is worth remembering that adult guppies are also sinning this way, so this is not an indicator for separate coexistence in an aquarium.
- NeonsThey can live together, since neons live mainly on the bottom, for cichlids they are invisible, but if they often catch the eye, then these predators can easily get a grudge like very small fish.
- Labo and tetras.It is believed that the union is quite possible if these little fish have grown together.
- Pseudotropheus.In practice, they showed good livability with scalars, but nevertheless there were cases when pseudo-feitas gnawed fins on other fish. So you need to observe their behavior in the aquarium.
Such fish as goldfish, piranhas, discus, and astronotus will not be suitable for scalar neighbors.
In general, it is impossible to claim perfect compatibility with any particular species. It is difficult to give a guarantee on what fish this or that species will live well with. Each fish has its own character, temperament, behavior.
Therefore, it is impossible to predict how they will behave in any given situation. When purchasing neighbors to already living individuals for your aquarium, it is better to agree with the store in advance about a possible return if an incompatibility occurs.
Watch closely for the behavior of the fish during the day. Just in case, prepare a place in an additional aquarium or a container with water in order to separate the fighters in time.
Look at the common aquarium with scalar.