maintenance, care, compatibility
Fish that are suitable for settlement with Poecilia reticulata
General rules for compatibility with guppies in home aquarium conditions
When choosing a fish for a community with guppies in an aquarium, you need to know some general rules that you should follow:
- In the tank you can keep the fish only with a similar temperament and behavior. Males guppies usually have long and lush fins, so those neighbors who can pluck them should not live with them. Guppy is not compatible with aggressive, fast types, otherwise stress and physical exhaustion of victims cannot be avoided.
- Diet and water requirements – be sure to choose fish that prefer the same food and water conditions as guppies. Check the pH, hardness, temperature of the water environment.
- It is better to keep all the fish in a spacious tank with enough space for swimming and shelter. On one fish should go on average 50 liters of water.
- The proportionality of the fish – Poecilia reticulata are considered small fish, so it is desirable to keep them with the same neighbors. Large “comrades” will be seduced by the size of defenseless guppies, they can eat them, or take food from them.
- Small bottom fish species can be kept with viviparous Guppy, which rarely swim to the bottom.
Preliminary preparation before the acquisition of small fish
If you have never had an aquarium and no experience of keeping fish, then it is best to start fish that need minimal care and are not very demanding to the conditions of existence. This will avoid the death of your fish, as well as gain experience and knowledge in the content of the aquarium.
Many tropical fish require the maintenance of a certain water quality (hardness, acidity, temperature, etc.), the presence or absence of plants, a certain brightness of the light or its absence.
For unpretentious fish, the range of comfortable conditions is much wider, which allows them to be kept in a lower quality environment. They are also less susceptible to negative factors (improper feeding, delayed water changes, etc.).
There are several determining factors when choosing a fish:
- aquarium size;
- selection and compatibility of different types of fish;
- the size and temperament of the fish.
If you already have an aquarium, you need to determine what and how many fish you can fit into it. This will avoid overpopulation, which leads to unnecessary fights, oxygen starvation, eating predators of peace-loving fish.
Important parameters for species compatibility are their size and temperament. Of course, it is impossible to contain predators and herbivores in one aquarium, otherwise the latter will become food.
In the wild, larger fish eat smaller ones.
Even if you only have herbivorous fish, you need to check that the size of the smallest fish is larger than the largest mouth opening of the fish in the aquarium. This will avoid unnecessary casualties.
Certain fish are territorial and do not let other species close to their habitat. There can be many reasons:
- suitable food supply,
- the spawning ground arrangement (the couple who carry out the treasure jealously guard the nest),
- the presence of water turbulence with optimal temperature parameters, etc.
Differences in species manifested in modes and methods of feeding. For example, somobraznye eat food from the bottom, petsliiliformnye – from the surface.
Some kind of fast and agile, and some – slow and unhurried. Fish require different food, and if you do not like it, it is better to choose pets with the same way of feeding.
If you do not follow the feeding regime, then some species will be hungry and others will be overfed, which will lead to a reduction in the life span of all inhabitants.
Often, fish are acquired that have not reached puberty, which leads to incorrect judgments about their temperament. Therefore, in order to fully determine whether this fish suits you, it must grow and be in comfortable conditions.
Of course, if any representative is unnaturally pugnacious, cuts off fins or clogs other fish, it should be isolated.
This topic is hot and is discussed in many forums. There are many types of fish that require minimal maintenance.
This allows you to choose the most suitable pets for each novice aquarist both in a variety of colors and in size. The aquarium can be equipped with beautiful relief and plants, and originality will give a contrast to the color of the fish.
Very often, beginners choose viviparous fish such as swordtails, plazii, guppies, mollies, etc. And this is an excellent choice.
They have a good survival rate, are easy to maintain, are active, have a long lifespan and do not require strict conditions of detention.
There are some types that are ideal for beginners.
Guppy – fishes of the Petsiliev family, with a peace-loving character, calm and unhurried in behavior. Coloring is very diverse and beautiful.
To the composition of the water does not impose requirements. Periodically you need to change the water.
Viviparous Easily distinguished by sex.
Males are much smaller, more beautiful and brighter. Omnivores.
Overfeeding is not recommended. Easily tolerate a decrease in water temperature to 15 ° C.
Swordtails – Family Peziliye. Have more than 25 decorative varieties.
In the male, the tail fin has the shape of a sword. Very beautiful fish that does not require special conditions and specific size of the aquarium.
Viviparous, easily reproduce. When the fry appear, the parents should be moved to a free container to avoid eating the children.
Gourami – mobile fish, differing in an interesting spotty color, are curious. To other species of fish and inhabitants are tolerant. They can breathe not only air dissolved in water, but also oxygen directly on the surface.
Somics different external originality. Unpretentious, peaceful, eat any food from the bottom. Clean up the remnants of food uneaten by other inhabitants.
Orderlies aquarium. Prefer bottom-living and easy to get along with other species.
Neon – Representatives of the Kharatsin, there are more than 150 species of fish. The most common among beginners are red and blue.
The content is simple, undemanding to water. They love space, the length of the aquarium should be at least 50 cm.
Excellent jumpers, so you need to cover the surface of the water with glass or a lid.
Danio – schooling, bright, beautiful fish. Aquarium is needed with a length of at least 55 cm. Very mobile and like space.
Requires regular water changes and good aeration. Great jumpers, so you need an aquarium with a lid or glass.
Prefer good lighting and clear, clean water.
Barbusses – schooling fish. There is a huge variety of species (more than 200).
In the schooling content of peace. Very active.
It is not recommended to keep them with fish, the tail of which has thread-like or voile forms. They love floating plants.
gold fish – representative of the carp family. It is very popular, but it requires a large volume of aquarium (per adult of at least 35 liters of water). Prefers clear, clean water and requires its regular substitution.
Very voracious, so you need to be careful with feeding. Prone to overeating.
Antsitrus – somobrazny, herbivore. Very good orderly, nibbles small shoots from the glasses of the aquarium.
The oral opening resembles a suction cup. Males have a large number of mustache. Peaceful.
It is recommended to feed tabletized plant spirulina.
Presents the most common, unpretentious, do not require special care fish that are suitable for beginners. But this does not mean that they do not need to be watched, to know their preferences, the temperature of the water, etc.
Due to the peaceful nature of pets, you should think about the possibility of keeping them separate from other fish, but if you still want to make an aquarium with many types of fish, carefully select your neighbors. They in no case can not be planted to predators.
Guppies get along well with some catfish, gouras, tetras, battles and some species of haracin fish, and corridors will do. But in practice it has been proved that even among them there are snooty individuals who strive to offend guppies.
The most popular options are:
- Angelfish. Most novice aquarists believe that this option is the most optimal. In fact, he is successful until the angelfish grows up. Therefore, the belief that fearful scalars are harmless is fundamentally wrong. However, there are cases when they peacefully get along with each other in huge aquariums.
- Swordtails. These fish are not the most suitable option, since adult Swordtails often bite their neighbors and eat their offspring. You can plant them together only if you have taken care to grow dense thickets of plants in which both fry and adult fish will be able to find shelter.
- Barbusses. Barbusses are dangerous for beautiful guppy fins. Because the bright colors attract the attention of this fish, and they tend to bite guppies. Pay attention to other fish that will not be so aggressive.
- Goldfish. This option is strictly prohibited. A goldfish can bring a small guppy to death, so consider other options.
Therefore, be careful with your neighbors for such tender and defenseless fishes. Leave the stereotypes and carefully study the approach, both to the owners of the aquarium and to their neighbors.
Guppies get along well with peace-loving fish, but categorically do not accept fighters. Be attentive to the behavior of all pets. If you notice aggression from the other fish during feeding, you should try to increase the dose of food.
It is hunger or lack of free space that can make ideal neighbors the worst enemies, leading to injury and stress. Choosing neighbors, read as much information as possible and consult with other breeders about whether new inhabitants will not eat the fry of the viviparous guppy.
All about fish: what kind of fish can you keep together :: Aquarium fish
If you decide to start a fish, you need to think first about what kind of representatives of these beautiful creatures you want to see in your future aquarium. All details need to be thought out in advance, because there are many aquarium fish, but not all of them can get along together.
The question “opened a pet store. Business is not going. What to do? “- 2 answers
1. Even before going to the pet store you need to have at least a general idea of the compatibility of aquarium fish. Remember that there are not only peace-loving aquarium inhabitants, but also predators.
For example, in any case, some species of catfish cannot be kept together with guppies, because an adult catfish can destroy all the livestock of small fish, gradually eating them. The same can be said about neons and scalars.
This neighborhood is unacceptable.
2. There are other parameters by which the fish should not live together, for example, conditions of detention. For different types and requirements for nutrition and chemical composition of water may be different.
It is necessary to select fish with similar content requirements. So you can provide your pets with the most comfortable living conditions.
Some aquarium fish are so demanding on the biochemical composition of water that they have to be limited to only one species.
3. It is worth paying attention to whether the fish is a school or not. Some species are able to feel comfortable only surrounded by relatives.
Their number may be different. For example, for neon the optimal number of fellows is a flock of twenty individuals.
4. Today there are special tables with the help of which you can find out about the compatibility of various types of aquarium fish. These materials should be on hand for everyone who is going to get an aquarium. Do not forget to pay attention to the features of breeding fish.
Some species become extremely aggressive during spawning, forcing other inhabitants of the aquarium to hide in the corner.
5. Those who for some reason could not get a special table, can help some general rules by which you can choose friendly neighbors for your aquarium. It is obvious that adults of fish living together should not significantly differ in size, because a big fish can always press a small one.
Watch the fish you like, some species need a lot of personal space, they should not be lodged with passive fish.
6. It is impossible to state unequivocally that predatory fish cannot get along with the more harmless representatives of the underwater world. Such a neighborhood is possible, but only if the peaceful fish are the same size as the predatory ones, or larger.
You need to know that some species of fish are able to bite the fins of their fellows or eat plants in an aquarium. This usually happens with insufficient feeding, but it’s worth knowing in advance about such an unpleasant perspective.
There are not only predatory fish, but also predatory snails. They should not be kept together with the peace-loving aquarium inhabitants.
If you are not satisfied with the aquarium, which is inhabited only by guppies, you can try to hook up to them other small fish that are not predators. Neons, some species of catfish (speckled catfish, catfish stuck), gouras, battles, tetras, small types of character fish, various types of corridors can get along well with their neighbors.
But it is possible that one representative of these fish will show aggression towards the little cohabitants.
Compatibility scalar and guppy. Some inexperienced aquarists are confident that the existence of these two fish in one body of water will not lead to anything bad. They are convinced that peaceful and shy sklyaria will be excellent neighbors for the little darlings.
But this is so only if the neighbors of guppies are still fry.
Compatibility Guppy and Sword. These fish are not always perfect neighbors.
In some owners they get used, and in some they are enemies. After all, there are such cases when the Swordtails bite their neighbors, as well as eat their young.
It is desirable that the aquarium was a lot of vegetation, they will help the fish to hide.
Compatibility barbs and guppies. Fish are not recommended to be planted in the general aquarium. After all, the tail fins with bright coloring of the second will become a target for the first bites.
Therefore, you should pay attention to less aggressive fish than barbs.
Compatibility of guppy and goldfish. These two species can not be planted in one aquarium. This can even lead to the fact that the life of a small, harmless guppy will be endangered.
Therefore, it is better to pick her another candidate for good cohabitation.
Guppies are exactly those fish on which novice aquarists should turn their attention first. They are quite unpretentious to the conditions of the content, therefore, are distinguished by a special survival rate. These charming, small creatures with a big tail instantly captivate the gaze of any person with their graceful movements, as well as extraordinary beauty.
But in order for the fish to live in a calm atmosphere, not to hide from their aggressive neighbors, think carefully about who they will be in the aquarium with. Or maybe it’s better to leave the guppies alone.