maintenance, care, compatibility
Caring for guppies will not cause trouble and will not cause complexity. For small fish it does not matter the displacement of the aquarium, they will live in the most miniature versions.
However, there is a question about the humanity of such a content of fish.
When selecting neighbors, it is important to take into account not only the interests of the guppies, but also the “perpetrators” themselves. Therefore, carefully make sure that the water balance is ideal for all pets.
The perfect guppy aquarium:
- Temperature 23-26 degrees;
- Stiffness from 10 to 25;
- Acidity 6.5-7.5;
- 2 liters of pure water per individual;
- The presence of plants and shelters;
- Dim additional lighting;
- Replacing a third of water weekly.
The presence of a filtering device, pump and air compressor are not required. However, this figure is very relative and will depend on the population of the aquarium.
The more residents, the higher the need to purchase these devices.
Guppies can use any kind of food as food. This is another plus in the piggy bank of their demand.
They are omnivores, and gladly devour everything that is given to them. Of course, feeding only dry mixtures is not desirable, since they will eventually lead to an imbalance of trace elements in the body of fish and the aquarium as a whole.
Supplement the diet with moths, daphnia, cyclops and pipemaker. Guppies will also be delighted with vegetable feed.
Please note that these fish are prone to gluttony, so carefully dose the amount of food.
Due to the peaceful nature of pets, you should think about the possibility of keeping them separate from other fish, but if you still want to make an aquarium with many types of fish, carefully select your neighbors. They in no case can not be planted to predators.
Guppies get along well with some catfish, gouras, tetras, battles and some species of haracin fish, and corridors will do. But in practice it has been proved that even among them there are snooty individuals who strive to offend guppies.
The most popular options are:
- Angelfish. Most novice aquarists believe that this option is the most optimal. In fact, he is successful until the angelfish grows up. Therefore, the belief that fearful scalars are harmless is fundamentally wrong. However, there are cases when they peacefully get along with each other in huge aquariums.
- Swordtails. These fish are not the most suitable option, since adult Swordtails often bite their neighbors and eat their offspring. You can plant them together only if you have taken care to grow dense thickets of plants in which both fry and adult fish will be able to find shelter.
- Barbusses. Barbusses are dangerous for beautiful guppy fins. Because the bright colors attract the attention of this fish, and they tend to bite guppies. Pay attention to other fish that will not be so aggressive.
- Goldfish. This option is strictly prohibited. A goldfish can bring a small guppy to death, so consider other options.
Therefore, be careful with your neighbors for such tender and defenseless fishes. Leave the stereotypes and carefully study the approach, both to the owners of the aquarium and to their neighbors. Guppies get along well with peace-loving fish, but categorically do not accept fighters.
Be attentive to the behavior of all pets. If you notice aggression from the other fish during feeding, you should try to increase the dose of food. It is hunger or lack of free space that can make ideal neighbors the worst enemies, leading to injury and stress.
Choosing neighbors, read as much information as possible and consult with other breeders about whether new inhabitants will not eat the fry of the viviparous guppy.
Guppy fish, photo-video review of content, compatibility and breeding
Guppy Compatibility: compatible with all non-predatory and not big fish.
Personal experience and useful tips: Everyone probably knows these fish, even those who have never seen aquariums. We can say that these fish are the fish of all children of the former USSR (they were in all Soviet aquariums))). The fish is very beautiful and unpretentious.
The tail fin is her beauty. The simplicity of the fish is that it can withstand “difficult conditions of detention.”
I happened to see an aquarium with guppies without aeration, without filtration, without plants, without proper feeding, etc. – horror, terrible dream aquarist. Nevertheless, guppies managed not only to survive in such an aquarium, but even tried to multiply.
So to mock the fish of course not worth it.
Interestingly, guppies reproduce – they are viviparous and actually do it themselves without any special stimulation. I recommend to take 3-4 females per 1 male, otherwise they simply drive the females. Fry can not be removed from the general aquarium, but then on the surface of the water must be floating plants, for example, duckweed.
Fry will hide behind these plants.
In nature, lives in the northern part of South America. But now, as a result of artificial acclimatization, these fish have spread to all continents.
During the long years of keeping guppies in aquariums and careful selection, many species of guppies have been obtained, and their maintenance and maintenance are not so simple. At present, it is very difficult to classify guppies, because as a result of numerous crosses, more and more new breeds are bred each year. The basis for the classification of guppies are body color (mainly in males), size, shape and color of the fins.
The length of the male guppy is up to 3 cm, the females are up to 6 cm. The body of the male is elongated, slender, somewhat flattened laterally. The body of the female is also elongated, with the back part more flattened from the sides.
Males have guppies much brighter and have not only beautiful patterns, but also luxurious tails and fins, while the fins of the female are short, the color is weak. In males, the anal fin has become an organ of fertilization – gonopodium.
The group can be kept in the general aquarium (but not with fast-floating species that can tear off their fins) from 60 cm in length, in places with dense thickets of plants, including small-leaved, reaching the surface of the water (among them desirable Indian and glossy leaf) floating plants with roots hanging down, as well as riccia, where the fry will find shelter. To the volume of the aquarium guppies are undemanding. Compatible with any peaceful species of fish, but their voile and therefore inactive forms cannot be maintained even with such non-aggressive fish as barbs.
Therefore, pedigree species of guppies are best kept in a species aquarium. In the aquarium should not be plants with hard leaves and objects with sharp edges (stones, snags), which fish can damage the fins.
Although the temperature range of the guppy content is wide enough, you need to make sure that the temperature is stable 20 – 26 ° C; gH up to 25 °; pH in the range of 6.5 – 8.5, but preferably about 7.0. Sharp changes in temperature and water characteristics (pH, gH) adversely affect the state of the fins of males. Therefore, water should be replaced more often, but in small amounts (not more than a third).
Adding salt (1 tablespoon to 10 liters of water) and a 5% alcohol solution of iodine is useful.
Guppies are omnivorous, but prefer live food. They can not be overfed, as the fish are prone to obesity and then lose their ability to reproduce. The frequency of feeding is determined by the age of the fish.
Fry are fed three times a day in small portions. After determining and separating the sexes, they are fed twice a day. At the age of more than four months, the frequency of feeding is reduced to once a day.
At this time, males are dangerous to overfeed.
Feeding Guppy Aquarium Fish must be correct: balanced, diverse. This fundamental rule is the key to successful keeping of any fish, be it guppies or astronotuses.
Article “How and how much to feed aquarium fish” talks in detail about this, it outlines the basic principles of the diet and feeding regime of fish.
In this article, we note the most important thing – feeding fish should not be monotonous; both dry and live food should be included in the diet. In addition, you need to take into account the gastronomic preferences of a particular fish and, depending on this, include in its diet ration either with the highest protein content or vice versa with vegetable ingredients.
Popular and popular feed for fish, of course, are dry food. For example, hourly and everywhere can be found on the aquarium shelves of food company “Tetra” – the leader of the Russian market, in fact, the range of feeds of this company is striking.
In the “gastronomic arsenal” of Tetra are included as individual feeds for a certain type of fish: for goldfish, for cichlids, for loricarids, guppies, labyrinths, arovan, discus, etc. Also, Tetra has developed specialized foods, for example, for enhancing color, fortified or for feeding fry.
Detailed information on all Tetra feeds, you can find on the official website of the company – here.
It should be noted that when buying any dry food, you should pay attention to the date of its production and shelf life, try not to buy food by weight, and also keep the food in a closed state – this will help avoid the development of pathogenic flora in it.
Guppy breeding and reproduction. First, guppies are viviparous fishes (that is, they do not spawn, but give birth to full-fledged fry).
Secondly, fertilization occurs in the general aquarium (you don’t even pay attention to it). Well, and thirdly, small fry need a separate breeding ground to bring out the fry, because the newly born fry are in great danger of being eaten in the first minutes after their birth: these fish are prone to cannibalism!
As a breeding ground for breeding guppies, you can use any capacity: a plastic bowl (5 liters), a small round aquarium (5 liters), or just a three-liter jar. Naturally, any of the containers should be perfectly clean.
The pregnancy of the female lasts, about 5-6 weeks. Your task is this: watch the growth of the female’s abdomen. As soon as you see that the anus of the female is slightly swollen, reddened and a dark spot appears on it – immediately replant the fish in the breeding ground! (it is sometimes recommended that a male be transplanted along with the female.
I see absolutely no point in this: the female is already fertilized, and the male will only interfere. By the way, the breeding feature of guppies: once a fertilized female, it can itself, without re-fertilization, bring the offspring into the light several times).
For breeding guppies need prepare a breeding ground: in a capacity of 5 liters, put a little Riccia, as well as some thick plants. The water temperature in the spawning area should be + 26 * C + 27 * C, the hardness and acidity is left as in the general aquarium. (Simply put, take five liters of aquarium water, pour it into the breeding ground and raise the temperature of this water).
All this time, feed the female with a bloodworm: she will need strength. Depending on the age of the female and male, from 20 to 100 fry are born.
At that moment, when the female gave birth to the last fry, it is necessary to deposit it.
The fry do not need parental care: they keep a flock near the surface and are constantly asked to eat. The best food for them is infusoria, which babies should be fed at least 4-5 times a day.
As you grow. the number of feedings is reduced to two times a day, and the feed itself becomes more “adult”: nauplii artemia, chopped bloodworm, and so on.
When breeding guppies pay special attention to fry. Fry do not grow very fast, but the trouble is not in this. The fact is that the fry grow unevenly.
In this case, smaller and weaker individuals risk dying from hunger: strong and healthy fry simply do not allow the weaker to eat. Therefore, you should sort the fry by size and spread out by different banks.
Sometimes, during childbirth, there can be “force majeure” circumstances: the female cannot give birth. In this case, you need to help her: make a water change in the spawning area (50%) and raise the temperature to 28 * C + 29 * C.
In this case, the female guppy will surely give birth.
Fish reach sexual maturity at the age of 4-5 months.
On photo germ guppy
ALL TYPES OF GUPPI:
Guppy Blue Metallic
Guppy Blue Neon
Guppy Green Cobra
Guppy red blond
Guppy Red Dragon
Guppy Moscow Carnation
Guppy Moscow blue
Guppy Black Prince
ALL BREEDS GUPPI:
A detailed article about guppy species and breeds can be found HERE.
Let’s look at what kind of fish can live with scalars in an aquarium?
- SomicsPractically all get along with these calm and sluggish fishes. Somiks are bottom dwellers, the angelfish simply will not notice them, since they absolutely do not care for the aquarium bottom. These fish live well together in the aquarium.
- CichlidsAlthough they belong to the same species, the ideal symbiosis is not always obtained. It would seem, relatives, what should they share? But the thing is that in contrast to the scalar, other representatives are more nimble and more aggressive. Most often, fights occur because of a place at the trough. There is a high probability of a certain confrontation between stronger fish from different schools in the aquarium.
- Barbusses.Very often it is advised to move the barbs. This is quite justified, they live well together. But there are several points: the temper of the barbs is significantly different, they are more active, they can easily leave scalar without lunch. Also because of their activity, these fish can offend calmer cichlids, and sometimes even manage to bite off their fins. Therefore, when you obselenie need to carefully observe their behavior.
- Gourami.These fish are also quite large in size and, together with the scalars, create a beautiful composition in the general aquarium. But you need to settle them together from the young age, then problems should not arise. Otherwise, you can not count the representatives of both species.
- Danio.It is believed that danios can easily coexist with scalars. Yes, it is possible. But it is possible that in the absence of light, scalaries can easily open up a hunt for them with the purpose of eating. Although danios are not that simple either. If this happens, they develop a reflex, and with the onset of the night the fish in the aquarium hide closer to the bottom.
See how the pink angelfish and danios get along together perfectly.
- PequillyExcellent live in the same aquarium. Angelfish more often than not just notice the representatives of this species. Therefore, these fish will be excellent neighbors.
- The irisFully compatible, when taken into account, if they grow with scalars since childhood. Although sometimes you can miss a pair of iris in an aquarium.
- GuppyWith varieties of guppies, scalars can get along, but they can – not. If they are lodged together with fry, then most likely they will be quite comfortable. But of course, newborn fry will be eaten by angelfish. But it is worth remembering that adult guppies are also sinning this way, so this is not an indicator for separate coexistence in an aquarium.
- NeonsThey can live together, since neons live mainly on the bottom, for cichlids they are invisible, but if they often catch the eye, then these predators can easily get a grudge like very small fish.
- Labo and tetras.It is believed that the union is quite possible if these little fish have grown together.
- Pseudotropheus.In practice, they showed good livability with scalars, but nevertheless there were cases when pseudo-feitas gnawed fins on other fish. So you need to observe their behavior in the aquarium.
Rules for keeping Betta splendens in a common tank
Males and guppies – it is believed that guppies and betts live in water with different parameters, therefore they are only conditionally compatible. There were examples of good compatibility, but it’s not always worth the risk. Males can chase guppies throughout the aquarium until their fins are torn off.
Guppies can live at a temperature of 18-28 degrees, although 22-25 degrees for them more than acceptable temperature. The diet of both fish is the same, so some razvodchiki did not have difficulty in keeping.
Scalar and betta – compatibility is not bad, provided a spacious tank. These fish almost ignore each other, without attracting attention. The males will rather distort each other than the scalar will bother.
However, during spawning, scalars become more aggressive and can drive all neighbors, including labyrinth ones. Set in the nursery a lot of shelters and plants to protect all.
Gourami – all species are close relatives of cockerels, so compatibility can be great. Gourami – curious creatures, tenacious and active, also feed, breathe with gills and atmospheric oxygen. Males do not bother them, sometimes it happens the other way around.
Plant them together in a tank of at least 70 liters cubic. All Macropod enemies are the same: they are large and predatory fish, with which they should not be settled.
Look at the cockerels in the company of gourami.
Mollies and cockerels can live in an aquarium because they carry the same water parameters. But there is one fact – slightly brackish water is preferred by mollies, but Betta is not. Temperatures of 24-27 degrees is optimal for content.
At low temperatures, both fish begin to hurt. Molly – viviparous fish that must breed in a separate, spawning tank, so that no one will destroy their fry.
The bets are alone in aggressive hydrobionts, so they can be moved to the males only with a flock of 4-7 fish. In the aquarium fights are small, reaching only 8 cm in length.
Peaceful, you can keep them with the same neighbors, provided space and shelters. Males with them almost no conflict.
Corridors – as neighbors are suitable for many fish. They have a calm disposition, an interesting body color, and bring a lot of benefits. If the rooster does not eat the food, the corridor will pick it up.
Somiki swim at the bottom of the aquarium, cockerels at the bottom only sleep. Compatibility between them is proven, cockerels rarely bother corridors. The corridors, like labyrinths, can use atmospheric air for breathing.
Such a pet can survive under critical conditions. Somiki poorly tolerate salt and organics, as well as betta.
Replacement of water in the general aquarium should occur once a week.
What kind of fish do angelfish live with: angelfish and guppy
Any pet shop consultant will politely remind customers about the compatibility of the fish. After all, for example, before you start a cat or a dog, a breeder asks a compatibility question – how will a new animal join the team, can it easily exist with other animals? The same applies to aquarium fish.
Before letting different types of fish into an aquarium, you need to weigh the pros and cons thoroughly.
So, can guppies and scalar live in the same aquarium? The scalar from the cichlid family is considered shy creatures, although sometimes they are capable of aggressive actions.
What fish do the angelfish live with? With barbs, iris, danios, gourami, catfish, wyunas, swordtails, amano shrimps, viviparous mollusks, etc.
Guppies are small fishes. They can live in peace with the scalars, but only if the latter are still very young. When it is time to grow up, predatory instincts can awaken to the scalar.
Then the breeders, not counting the guppies, wondered in surprise – where did the kids go? And they were actually eaten by scalars.
So the stereotype about a peaceful and shy fish is destroyed.