Aquarists have been keeping guppies in an aquarium for over 100 years. Since then, many species of guppies have been studied and new breeds bred, international exhibitions have been held.
It is easy to get confused in the variety of breeds, therefore the classification according to the prevailing color, the shape of the tail and fins was adopted.
Many colors are displayed. Often, speaking of yellow or blue guppies, imply several similar breeds.
- Red Moscow. Guppy intense red color. The front part of the abdomen and muzzle are light.
- Red cobra (filigree). The fins are red, the body of the fish is paler. There is an iridescent pattern that resembles snake skin.
- Red clove. Fish saturated red.
- Tomato. The color is completely bright red.
- Red Dragon (Royal). Intense red fish. There are dark or light blotches on the body.
- Red blond. Scarlet color with turquoise, yellow or light patches.
- Orange carpet. The scales and veil are decorated with a dark mosaic-like pattern. The main color of the fish is orange.
- Carnation Guppy body with white, dark and orange tones. The tail “skirt” is brick-red with several vertical rows of black dots.
- Yellow carpet. Yellow variety of guppy with a carpet pattern.
- Germanic. The color is yellow, come with a fully or half white body.
- Golden (gold). Fish with yellowish scales, iridescent golden in the light.
- Yellow blond. The color is intense yellow with white patches.
- Moscow blue-green. The little body is turquoise, it happens with olive spots in the area of the back and face. Scales overflow in blue and green.
- Green cobra The main color is yellow-green, on the “skirt” colorful pattern.
- Smaragdaceae (emerald). On the green body of the fish there are mosaic patterns.
- Japanese The body is dark, all the veil parts are turquoise-bluish in color.
- Blue carpet. Blue fish with a wonderful pattern of dark dots.
- Moscow blue. The rich blue color is combined with light and violet patches.
- Blue glass. Color gray with the addition of blue and greenish spots on the “skirt” blue edging.
- Japanese blond. The color of the fish is pearl blue. The shape of the tail of this type of “double sword”.
- Metallic blue. The veils of the fish are rich blue with blue splashes, the body is gray-blue.
- Black Prince. In the area of the head and the front of the belly is silver, the tail and the second part of the body are black. The transition between colors is smooth.
- The black monk (black Moscow) individuals are completely painted black or with a small bright spot at the head. The body is bluish. Fishes of medium and small sizes are painted more intensively.
- Tuxedo (tuxedo). The front part of the body is light, the tail part is black. Red, yellow or green shades may be present. The transition between black and white is clear.
- Panda. The front part of the abdomen is light, the upper part of the head, eyes and fins are black, which makes the fish look like a panda.
- Received white (white prince). Mostly white color, the second part of the body is dark. Vualevaya “skirt” fish snow-white.
- Pearl white. White scales with a pearl shimmer. There are fish with blackout in the area of the face.
- Albino. Eyes reddish, color completely white.
- Blond. White variety with dark eyes.
Dark spots on a yellow background makes fish scales look like animal skins.
Neon differ in bright outflow and saturated colors. There are neon types of guppies:
Guppy breeds are classified according to the shape of the fins. Often the forms are similar to each other.
There are 14 forms.
The tail is large and wide without sharp ends. The veil on the back is pointing down.
Tail plumage with 2 sharp ends. The narrow dorsal fin is parallel to the body.
“Skirt” Guppy rectangular with a smooth edge. The spinal plumage is directed upwards, pointed at the end.
“Fan” guppy rounded, with “needles” in the center. Dorsal fin elevated and pointed at the end, its length occupies a third of the whole body.
The tail resembles the point of a spear; rounding is less than that of needletails and with a smoother transition to pointed central rays. The length of the tail is half the body.
Plumage on the back of a curved shape with a point.
Another name for the variety: fantail trimmed. The “fan” of a triangular shape does not have such a strong scope as that of the fan-tailed guppies. Angles are clear, sharp.
The fin on the back is wide, raised, ends at the level of the third tail.
Caudal fin rounded and diminutive, dorsal fin rounded, shortened. The size of the tail is not more than half the body of the fish.
Rounded tail with long extreme rays. On the back of the guppy is a narrow elongated fin.
In the form of “skirt” is similar to the lyre. Short dorsal fin pointing upwards.
“Skirt” rounded, there is a process in the form of a sword from below. The plumage of the back is narrow with a point.
“Sword” is located on top, unlike the previous species of guppy.
The tail is a large square with rounded shape, the length is equal to half the body of the fish. Spinal plumage long.
Magnificent triangular “skirt”. On the back the fin is directed upwards.
Fins are elongated, not too wide, dorsal – directed upwards.
There are 3 types of guppies in the petsiliev family:
- Ordinary. The homeland of this species is South and Central America. The common guppy is the most common species, containing more than 60 breeds obtained by selection. Variations are many, and the number of breeds is constantly updated. The natural form with a rounded tail and olive color with orange, yellowish and black spots looks inconspicuous against the background of thoroughbred brethren. Males up to 3 cm in size, females up to 6 cm.
- Endler The maximum size of females is 3.5 cm, males – 2.5 cm. Fish with chaotic neon yellow, emerald, purple, black and orange spots on the body and fins.
- Micropecia Picta (swamp). Uncooperative view. The maximum body length is 5 cm. Natural color is more interesting than that of wild guppies and depends on the habitat. The color can be from red to gray, with a black spot on top of the tail. On the body there are also dark and light blotches. Females are nondescript.
- Sunset In color prevail colors characteristic of the evening sky: yellow and red.
- Galaxy – a fish with a scattering of black dots on a multi-colored background.
- Swallow. The tail of the guppy with elongated rays, due to which it looks “ragged.”
- Red multicolor carnation. Motley plumage of a brick shade with a black pattern.
- Berlin Guppy fins are scarlet, with orange, silver and gray tones on the body.
The most popular are the guppies with the color “cobra”, Germanic, Moscow red and blond – all these types you will find in pet stores. Albinoes, black forms and tails are considered whimsical.
Do not overlook the guppies Endler – small and unpretentious aquarium fish with an interesting appearance.