maintenance, care, compatibility
Among this type of aquarium pets barbs are widely distributed (Sumatran, fiery, dark-haired ruby, tiger), which prefer live food and grow to about 6 centimeters. They are quite unpretentious, but they should be purchased in pairs.
These smallest aquarium pets can not be settled with relatives of veil forms because barbs are able to nibble their fins.
See how live barbs look like.
The presence of the smallest aquarium fish – danio rerio or danio inle will be spectacular. These most active and very playful small schooling fish prefer live or dry food, and their size reaches 3 to 5 centimeters. Excessive mobility of waterfowl, unfortunately, is dangerous for them.
Often, danios jump out of their pool, so only closed aquariums are suitable for growing them.
Talking about the smallest fish for breeding, it is impossible not to mention the well-known neon. These smallest inhabitants of indoor ponds are famous for their amazing color, or rather neon luminous strip, which runs through the whole body.
Like all small fish, neons are schooling, so it is worth to settle them in groups of 10 pieces.
Look at the neon aquarium.
Whatever schooling fish you choose, it is very important to understand that their attractive colorful appearance and cheerfulness depend on you completely. It should be borne in mind that the minimum allowable amount of water for each instance can not be less than 3 liters.
Too many water dwellers will transform your source of inspiration and positive into a kind of “communal apartment” and not the best way affect their behavior. Maintaining an optimal temperature, a weekly water change of 20 percent, the presence of an aquarium filter, aeration and suitable food – these simple procedures will help you enjoy the contemplation of the brilliance of bright colors in the aquarium.
And here’s another great selection of nano fish – look:
Although the majority of small fish are rather unpretentious, leaving for the first time of their life will be troublesome. At first, water will need to be replaced frequently in order to stabilize the number of bacteria.
Standard water change should be done every 3-4 days, at the same time not less than a quarter of the volume should be updated.
Do not put such an aquarium near the window: the sun’s rays will provoke the growth of algae.
A few words about the form. When it comes to a small aquarium, most aquarists clearly state: just not round!
Curved walls in a small container strongly distort the image of the fish, and at the same time, a strong distortion of the external environment will also become a stress for the little fish. From a practical point of view, it will be very difficult to clean glasses of this shape.
There are a few simple rules for choosing small fish in small aquariums. All of them take into account both the peculiarities of the fish themselves and the specificity of a small volume of capacity.
- Do not purchase predators for a small aquarium, no matter how miniature they are. And in general, turning to the pet store for a choice of fish, be sure to check the size of the adult.
- No matter how much you want luxury and exclusivity, you’d better not stop your choice on expensive fish. Small aquariums are very unstable in terms of temperature, and fragile, expensive specimens are usually the most sensitive to such fluctuations, for them the slightest change will be fatal.
- Too many fish are also wrong. There is a classic rule here: there should be at least 3-5 liters of water per fish of about 5 centimeters in size.
- Pick a similar nature of the species. If you move mobile and very calm fish together, there will be no balance in the aquarium. Some of its inhabitants will experience extreme stress. Naturally, it is absolutely not necessary to settle territorial fish in a small aquarium together with other species.
- The best option for a small aquarium – the neighborhood in the water layers. Some of the fish may belong to bottom species, their neighbors – to enjoy life in the middle layers. With them you can also inhabit the species that prefers to inhabit the surface.