If you love catfish, but you want to keep active, fun, playful aquarium fish – the acquisition of a unique view of the catfish corridor will be an excellent option. They are quite unpretentious to the conditions of habitat, while smart, cute, not aggressive to other inhabitants of the aquarium.
Ideal for beginners in breeding fish, as the corridor is a regular aquarium catfish, unpretentious in content.
An interesting feature of the catfish is that their genus numbers about 150 of the most diverse species, so choosing the one you like will not be difficult. But the conditions of maintenance of individual species may vary significantly, and this is not very convenient for those who decided to combine several types of catfish in an aquarium at once.
Before buying the catfish you like, it is important to learn in detail all the nuances of its content according to its belonging to a certain type.
Small fish with slightly convex back. The body of the fish is covered with special bone plates, these are not scales: due to this particular feature, the corridors are called armored.
The mouth of the fish is very low – this feature is caused by the fact that the fish mostly eat food from the bottom. On the upper and lower lips of the catfish there are three antennae – they serve to orient the fish in space, they perform an especially important function in turbid water.
The size of the corridors is from 3 to 10 cm, the life expectancy is quite high and reaches up to 15 years. Coloring catfish varied, there are even albino fish.
Somiki corridors have an unusual respiratory system, it is double: gill and intestinal. Fish are able to absorb air bubbles and digest them through the digestive tract.
It is quite easy to distinguish the sexuality of the catfish: the female individuals are painted more vividly, and also have a beautiful rounded fin on the back. Caviar in females is small.
Corridor: habitat features and species diversity
The birthplace of this fish is South America, small catfish live practically on the whole “water” territory of this country. The water in which the corridors live is fresh, with low acidity, most often of a rather dark color due to the abundant amount of rotted plants.
The bottom of the river in which these species live is mostly muddy, but it can also be sandy.
In nature, there is a fairly large variety of catfish. All of them differ in characteristic external differences and have variable habitat features. The most popular types of catfish corridor bred by aquarists:
- Carp catfish. The body length of the fish reaches 8 cm. This species of fish has a fairly high fin on the back. Females of this species are much larger than males, their fins are shorter, slightly rounded. This type of fish is not whimsical enough: catfish can withstand temperatures from 3-30 degrees, while they can live with a sufficiently large amount of organic matter in the water. Among this species there is a corridor, called an albino, which is more capricious and whimsical under the conditions of detention, its content requires additional efforts.
- Comic corridor meta – a small fish with calm yellow shades. The dorsal fin is black in color with a deep blue tint; the lateral fins may be transparent. The length of the fish corridor meta reaches an average of 5 cm.
- Golden catfish species – Gold. The habitat of this species is mainly Trinidad and Venezuela. The length of the body of the fish is 7 cm, a golden strip runs along the back – from here catfish got this name. The conditions of detention are quite simple, the main thing is to maintain a consistently optimum temperature for this type of 22-26 degrees.
- Panda. The body of this species of catfish is painted white, sometimes slightly pinkish. The eye area and tail are painted with large black specks. The fishes are rather small – the length reaches only 3-4 cm. The growth of the fish is significantly influenced by the type of feed chosen, the corridors prefer mostly live food. Somiki pandas live in a clean, slightly acidified aquatic environment, the temperature is about 22 degrees, it is desirable to carry out the aeration procedure as often as possible.
- Sterba. These are small five centimeter aquarium fish, whose body is covered with dots, turning into an interesting pattern. The fins in the abdomen area are colored orange, and on the pectoral fins there is an interesting pattern – a laser. This type of fish is unique in that, depending on the soil, body color can change.
- Another popular type of catfish – Nanus corridor. Charming fish, having a color of gently brown, yellow and silver shades. The size of the fish varies and can reach up to 6-6.5 cm.
- Adolf. Small sizes Adolf corridor fish – up to 5 cm; The body has a classic white color. On the back of the head is a beautiful bright orange spot. The eyes of the Adolphe corridor are framed with black, and black stripes are also present on the back. The main feature is that being in captivity, the reproduction of corridors basically stops.
- Leopard species of catfish. The most chic coloring on the form. Bright leopard colors look quite impressive, especially in combination with dark ground. The size of the fish varies from 5-6 cm.
- Coruduras arquatus. A small fish: the size of catfish reaches 5 cm. These “cleaners” of the aquarium. Eat only soil feed. The color of the fish is light beige with a black stripe on the ridge. They belong to the family of armored fish, not aggressive, not whimsical in content.
- The favorite of many aquarists fish –Habrozus corridor. The color is mostly yellow-beige, sometimes slightly green, the back is usually much darker than the abdomen. The content of the fish – quite unpretentious. The size of the fish is quite small and barely reaches 2.5 cm.
- Another interesting type of catfish – Duplicareus corridor . This species belongs to the armored family. Breeding of this type of corridor is special: they differ in their dietary habits: unlike other catfish species, they prefer fresh food and do not collect leftover food from the ground. “Lower” food from the bottom can even be dangerous for them.
- Corridor similis – fish, rarely found in home aquariums. The reason for this apparently served as a completely nondescript type of fish – pale color, barely noticeable fins and tail. The length of an adult fish rarely reaches 4 cm.
All types of corridors are special. Mostly these fish – original and unpretentious; corridors have always been particularly popular among novice aquarists.
They differ not only in color, but also in the characteristics of behavior and conditions of detention and nutrition.
Features of the corridors and the compatibility of fish
Due to the peculiarities of eating food, catfish mainly live in the lower layer of water or at the bottom, “digging” and picking up the food that has fallen into the ground. Thus, they are able to perform a kind of orderlies aquarium.
But all these actions of catfish lead to the fact that a certain amount of dirt rises from the bottom upwards – that is why it is simply necessary to acquire a good aquarium filter.