maintenance, care, compatibility
These fish are sometimes called false discusses – they resemble the kings of an aquarium with body shape and gorgeous coloring, as well as aristocratic behavior. But the severum is much less demanding in conditions of detention, more resistant to pathogens and stress factors.
These reasons largely determine the interest that aquarists have had for them for many years.
Severums are a species (according to some authors, a group of species) of South American cichlids, which are fairly large in size (in aquariums usually 15–20, sometimes up to 30 cm), tall, flattened laterally and in many ways. Some of these color forms are derived by breeding, others are species found in nature in different localities, therefore they are named after these places.
The following wild forms are found in aquariums:
- Guyana green Guayana, Guyana – a body of an elongated shape of yellow-green color with pronounced specks forming longitudinal rows; young fishes have dark vertical stripes on their bodies;
- the turquoise Peruvian severum is silver-blue or green-turquoise, the abdominal and anal fins are orange, the dark vertical stripes expressed in young fish turn pale with age, only one remains between the anal and dorsal fin;
- Red-shouldered or red-headed severum, Rotkeil — greenish-olive body, red-orange fins, broad bright orange stripe behind the head;
- blue emerald, Santarem — blue or dark blue body with green tint and dark stripes, turning into spots with age;
- turquoise, Turqoise Manaus – is similar to the previous species, differs in a shade of coloring and more blunt snout;
- eight-striped severum, Inirida – body of greenish color, has eight vertical stripes, unlike other species, which have nine stripes;
- red-bellied severum, Mouthbreeder – golden-olive color, belly orange or reddish, in adults one dark stripe near the tail, bearing eggs in the mouth.
In addition, artificially derived variations of severums became widely popular:
- Gold North, Gold – partial albinos, yellow, males have an orange mask. A more flattened, taller body, almost disc-shaped;
- red pearl, redpoint, Red Pearl, Red Spot – yellow body with red specks and specks.
It should be noted that over the long years of keeping in aquariums, different severums interbred with each other, therefore many individuals are complex hybrids, and it is not possible to attribute them to a certain variety.
The most beautiful, bright colors with perfectly pronounced masks on the forehead and gills have dominant males of northern seasons.