maintenance, care, compatibility
Ichthyophthiriosis is an infectious disease of fish caused by the attack of an equally effective infusorian ichthyophthyrus.
The disease is manifested by the appearance on the body of a small fish of small tubercles up to 1 mm in size. The number of bumps is growing every day of illness.
This disease is also called – semolina, as the aquarium fish, as if sprinkled with semolina. Some novice aquarists call these hillocks: dots, bubbles, specks.
However, these are the bumps – the place from where the ciliate parasites come out. Read more about the life cycle of the parasite on our forum – HERE.
Immediate treatment is necessary, otherwise the ciliates will deplete the fish and it will die.
photo Ichthyophthyriosis semolina Goldfish – Voilehvost
For a crushing victory and successful treatment of ichthyophtiriosis, two things need to be known:
1. The life cycle of the infusoria parasite.
I will not bore you with a thorough description of the life of ciliates:) …. I can only say that when a parasite gets into the body of a fish, it leaves it in 1-2 weeks (forming a hillock – semolina). Falling to the bottom is fastened and breeds into thousands of larvae, which are beginning to look for a new prey.
2. Given the knowledge of the life of the parasite. We must make his life cycle unbearable.
And it is very easy to do …
INCREASE THE TEMPERATURE OF AQUARIUM WATER AT 2-4 DEGREES (optimally 30-32 degrees). + ALWAYS INCREASE THE INTENSITY OF AERATION.
What gives rise to the temperature of the aquarium water?
First, the life cycle of the parasite is accelerated, which means that it “goes” and dies faster. And second, as the temperature increases, the immune system of the fish itself is activated, which allows it to more effectively fight the disease with its own resources.
In the initial stages of ichthyophthiriosis, a temperature increase may be sufficient … after a couple of days, the enemy is defeated. But, for greater confidence in the aquarium water, you need to add a dose (see on the package) of tripaflavin or bicillin-5 (the old-time method). You can use more modern treatments for semolina, for example:
TetraMedica Contralck – Contract (best, recommended).
Sera Costapur – Kostapur (analogue of TM Sulfur).
TetraMedica GoldOomed – (from ichthyophthiriosis, especially for Goldfish, universally).
These drugs do an excellent job.
However, one should always remember about “secondary infections” – that is, about the diseases that follow the main infection. Additionally, it is recommended to use other drugs leveling secondary diseases (fungal or bacterial infections).
For example, the Sera Brand, recommends using Sera ectopur (ectopur) together with Sera Costapur to prevent and combat fungus and ectoparasites. Methylene blue can also be used as a preparation for a secondary infection.
On the line of aquarium drugs, read the article: DRUGS AND AIR CONDITIONERS “TETRA”
ALL DRUGS AND CONDITIONERS OF SERA
ALL DRUGS PREPARATIONS OF THE FIRM “ZOOMIR”
In the future, I recommend to be more attentive to pets! Because parasite infusoria, often falls into the water and develops due to: low temperatures, stress of fish, mud, is brought from unchecked sources, without quarantine of new fish, etc.
P.S. Ichthyophthyroidism of fish is very similar to oodinimosis, which is also caused by infusoria, but the other is caused by flagellates.
With this infection, the body of the fish is covered with monkey sand and has greyish, tiny nodules. Which, in the neglected case, form a solid gray cover.
The fish is exfoliated skin. Oodinium disease is actually treated in the same way as ichthyophthyrosis. Specialist. drug for oodiniumosis – Sera oodinopur.
Proportions and dosage of therapeutic agents, see. AQUA MEDICINE.
How to treat semolina in fish :: treatment of aquarium fish from semolina salt :: Treatment
Ichthyophthyriosis, semolina – scary words for a beginner in aquarism. However, you shouldn’t panic, especially if you watch your pets closely enough and don’t miss the first signs of this disease. fish.
Question “Animals” – 1 answer
- – malachite green dye,
- – medicines for fish,
- – disposable syringe
- – salt.
1. If you notice that your fish behave unnaturally, they hang for a long time at the surface of the water, they often move their gills, sluggish in motion, faded spots appear on their scales or skin, they have white ichthyophthyriosis, and in the common people – decoy. Do not panic, do not pull out the plug of the lamp from the outlet, do not turn on the heater with all its might, do not pour furatsilin into the aquarium with cups and do not pour bicillin into spoons, and also do not use any folk remedies.
2. Aquarium fish, like people, experience physical agony during illness, so the first thing to do is to get rid of unnecessary stress. Dim the light in the aquarium, try to ensure maximum silence in the room, do not stomp, do not slam the door.
3. Patients fish you should not set aside in another container, all for the same reasons, treat them in the general aquarium. On the first day, coal, zeolites, and peat should be removed from the filter; put a temporary filter with replaceable fine-cleaning cartridges. Replace 25-30% of water with fresh, naturally settled.
Increase in the aquarium at the time of treatment aeration.
4. Apply for treatment fish from ichthyophthyriosis, only proven drugs, such as Super Ick Cure from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Faunomor from Aquarium Munster and Sera Costapur. These preparations do not harm aquarium plants and cure one hundred percent. fish.
Use Sera Costapur strictly according to the manufacturer’s instructions, and other drugs on the first day, on the third and on the fifth day.
5. Before each addition of the drug, replace up to a quarter of the water, raising the overall temperature by 1-2 degrees for the duration of the treatment. On a day, add a pinch of salt, it promotes healing of wounds that sick fish inflict on themselves, trying to itch against grottoes, stones and shells.
On the sixth day, replace water again, return coal or other fillers to the filter, lower the water temperature to normal even after a couple of days. Also, if you get sick with dunking, adding malachite green dye to the water in a ratio of 0.09 mg / l will help with a syringe, proportions of 0.06 mg / l. This organic dye does not affect the plants and the beneficial microflora of the aquarium.
Ichthyophthyriosis, or semolina, most often affects fish for inexperienced aquarists. After all, it is enough to run one infected individual to the rest of the inhabitants of your aquatic world, without keeping it after the purchase, the allotted time in quarantine, and it is likely that in a few days the ciliates will flood the aquarium. This is manifested by rashes in the form of semolina, fish rub against stones, on the ground, stop eating and die.
If time to carry out treatment, they can still be saved.
- – salt;
- – drugs against ichthyophthiriosis;
- – activated carbon filter.
1. To effectively combat decoy, familiarize yourself with the development cycles. Unicellular ciliates (Ichthyophthirius multifiliis) is a parasite that has an ovoid body as small as 0.5-1 mm. His life cycle is 12-16 days.
Adults, being on plants, soil, aquarium equipment, are covered with a gelatinous shell, creating a cyst. Inside it is divided several times, then the daughter cells (“roaches”) search for the victim for three days. In case of contact with the fish, they penetrate the epithelium, create a cavity and parasitize for several days.
Then they fall away from the victim, and the cycle repeats. Those ichthyophthiriuses who did not find fish perish.
2. If you have a few fish, then deposit them in a container without algae and soil. Since the parasites are still in their body, then add salt to the water at the rate of 1 tbsp. 10 liters of water.
To do this, pour the right amount of salt with a small amount of warm water, wait until it is completely dissolved and pour it into the aquarium. In this procedure, remember that not all types of aquarium fish are well tolerated for a long time in salt water.
For example, barbs, some catfish, tetras, labyrinths and others.
3. In salt water, infusorians outside the body of the fish quickly die, but for greater reliability it is better to change the capacity after 12 hours. After another half a day, transplant the fish into another water again.
With this method, you can not even add salt or other drugs. Since the parasite in the body of the fish can be only a few days, then gradually, within 5-10 days, the infusoria will all die.
4. After you have planted the fish, in the aquarium, raise the temperature to 32-34 degrees and stand in this mode for a little more than three days. During this time, all the “strollers” will die.
5. You can treat the fish from the semolina and in the aquarium itself, especially if you have it big and it is just difficult to remove all its inhabitants. In this case, you can also use the salt, but it is better to buy a special tool, for example, Faunomor, Super Ick Cure, Ichthyofor, Malachite Green. Dilute the preparation according to the instructions in the package.
If repeated processing is required, then spend it.
6. After some drugs, water can be stained, for example, after applying malachite green – in a greenish color. Usually it doesn’t bother the fish; after a course of treatment, lighten the water with an activated carbon filter.
It should be remembered that only those parasites that are outside the body of fish perish from drugs.
Sick fish acquire immunity against ichtiftirioza (semolina). But they can be carriers of the parasite, that is, the signs of semolina will not manifest themselves, and the ciliates themselves will long remain on the body and gills of the fish and, under favorable conditions, will cause a new outbreak of the disease.
Do not raise the temperature of the water very much, some types of causative agent of semolina from this only develop faster.
Until recently, it was believed that ichthyophthyriosis is easily cured. Now it is not so: the parasites have adapted to the methods of dealing with them, and therefore it becomes more and more difficult to get rid of the illness.
It is important to begin treatment as soon as possible: when the first symptoms of the disease appear. In the absence of the necessary procedures, ichthyophthiriosis can kill the affected fish in one week.
To get rid of the disease, it is necessary to completely withdraw the parasites.
The treatment of fish can be made both in the same aquarium, and in a separate container. In the environment from which its inhabitants were removed, the parasites do not survive.
They die within 2-3 days. Therefore, after a successful therapy, you can safely return the pets to their former place: nothing threatens their health.
There are several proven ways to combat the disease:
- Treatment by increasing the temperature
Parasites that cause ichthyophthyriosis, are able to normally exist and multiply at a temperature of from 25 to 27 degrees. If you heat the water to 34 degrees, they will die within the next five hours. When choosing this method of therapy, consider the temperature preferences of aquarium fish and plants.
- Salt treatment
Set the aeration to maximum capacity, heat the water in the aquarium to 30 degrees and add the usual table salt at the rate of a tablespoon for every 30 liters of liquid. The essence of the method lies in the fact that there is less oxygen left in the water that parasites need for normal life, and the high temperature prevents their reproduction. The duration of such therapy is about two weeks. Then during the month, it is necessary to replace weekly 30% of the water in the aquarium.
- Use furatsilina
This effective antimicrobial agent can be purchased at any pharmacy at an affordable price. For the treatment of disease in fish, you will need a 0.02 g tablet. Take one tablet and soak it in warm water to dissolve it. This composition is enough for 40 liters of fluid.
The next day, substitute 20% of the water and add to the artificial pond half of the dissolved tablet. Repeat this procedure for 4-6 days. Such a period is quite enough for the full recovery of aquarium fish.
- Use of hydrogen peroxide
Buy a 3% peroxide solution at a pharmacy and add it to the water to calculate 1 ml per 10 liters of liquid. Repeat this procedure twice a day. Means saturates an artificial reservoir with oxygen, and fish have an opportunity to breathe more freely. It is important not to overdo it with dosages: a large amount of the drug in one sitting will burn your pets fins.
- Antipara application
Add the agent to the aquarium at a dosage of 1 ml per 50 liters of fluid. Change daily water by 30% for the next 5-7 days. For a week of this therapy, you will be able to defeat the disease.
It is quite possible to cure ichthyophthiriasis if therapy is started promptly. Carefully monitor the health of pets, keep the aquarium clean, treat all items placed in it with antiseptics, and then your pets will not be afraid of ailments.
Treatment of parasitic decoy with salt in aquarium fish is a folk remedy for the recovery of the inhabitants of the aquarium. The course consists of long-term baths.
With long-term treatment, a solution in the ratio of one tablespoon of regular salt to ten liters of water is added to the aquarium. The temperature in the tank gradually needs to be raised to 30 degrees. The universal method allows you to destroy almost all the parasites of freshwater fish.
However, you should be aware that catfish and Sumatran barbs do not tolerate salt baths.
An effective treatment for semolina in fish is antipar, which is a combination of formalin, malachite blue and malachite green. It is better to use it in an otsadnik (a separate vessel for treatment), since this method may violate biofiltration.
For treatment of decoys in fish, you can use delagil. It is sold in pharmacies. The concentration of 1 tablet of the drug per 40 liters of water is normally transferred to both fish and plants.
The temperature does not need to increase. Parasites drug kills in the early stages, in cysts.
During the first application, it is necessary to change the water by 20%. If white spots remain in fish every other day, then you need to make a water change of 30% and add another medicine in the ratio of 1 tablet per 120 liters.
Treatment of decoys in fish can be carried out with furatsilinom. The compressor and the filter can not be turned off.
It is necessary to dissolve 1 tablet in 30-40 liters of water and add to the aquarium. Daily change a quarter of the water and add medicine.
The treatment is harmless and good for all inhabitants of the aquarium in 2-3 weeks.
When using such drugs for the treatment of fish decoys, the white bumps on the skin of the inhabitants will become less and less and disappear altogether. If the addition of drugs is made directly to the aquarium, then the water should be replaced daily by a quarter.
It is desirable to accompany the fight against parasites by siphon of the soil.
If the fish were treated in an otsadnik, then disinfection of the aquarium after ichthyophthyriosis is not needed – the parasites die without fish.
Treatment of decoys in affected aquarium fish will be more effective if the disease is noticed in a timely and urgent manner.
Aquarium fish, like other pets, can suffer from typical diseases. Their most common disease is ichthyophthyriosis.
Therefore, every aquarium owner should know how to treat ichthyophthyriosis of fish in the general aquarium.