maintenance, care, compatibility
Replacing water in an aquarium is an indispensable component of its content. There are 2 types of water changes – partial change and full change.
- Partial replacement in a freshwater aquarium maintains the biological balance of the aquatic environment, despite the often changing composition of the fluid. Before changing the water, from the moment of its first launch, you need to wait two months. Correctly update the water 1-2 times a week, no more than 20-30% of the total. It is often dangerous to change water – it usually leads to deterioration of water quality and neutralization of beneficial microflora.
See how to make a partial replacement of water in the aquarium.
- Complete replacement of water is needed as a last resort – when all the aquarium fish are sick. One fish can be quarantined, in the case of disease of all residents of the nursery you want to change all the liquid. There are a number of drugs that help cure ailment, but they contain chemicals that pollute water, after which it will be unsuitable for life. In this case, a complete replacement of water is often a necessary measure, since even drugs cannot completely destroy the pathogenic microbes. Change all the water you need with a special device – aquarium hose, which is on the shelves of pet stores. When completely replacing the hose with a hose, siphon the bottom, cleaning it from contamination, and the glass container is washed with a special liquid to remove plaque. If you need to fight the disease – you will have to bring all the details back to normal, all the water updates are not enough.
A complete water change is required during a scheduled restart.
How many checks are needed to normalize the water in the aquarium? It rarely happens that tap water does not contain chlorine and phosphate compounds, and if so, then this is a lot of luck.
You can purchase litmus paper at the pet store, using it to measure the acidity and hardness of water from the tap. Water in a small aquarium is easier to put in order than in a large one.
Special components that increase or decrease water hardness can be found in stores or in your own home. In aquariums with a volume of more than 150 liters, you can replace 20% of the water yourself, without prior preparation.
How much time to defend the water? Everything depends on the type of fish that will settle in the reservoir, on their requirements, on the whimsical nature of aquatic plants – after all, the fish often live with plants, and they are almost indispensable.
If it does not meet the pH level of 7.0, then it can be defended for 3-4 days until the chlorine and phosphate compounds evaporate.
Aquarium water: what you need to know about the big replacement?
A large water change is the renewal of a significant amount of fluid that occurs in stages over a period of 5-7 days. It is necessary to change such water when there is a need to lower the level of compounds accumulated in the water.
Often after a big replacement, the fish become healthy and active. However, changing the contents of the reservoir is not recommended very often.
In a 100-liter aquarium with a small amount of vegetation, you can make the following replacement:
Drain 80 liters of old and add 40 liters of new water, add another 40 liters in a day. But this option is unacceptable for reservoirs where there is a lot of vegetation and fish.
In this case, it is better to update 60% of the volume once.
Recommendations for replacing in saltwater aquariums
How to know that it is time to update the aquatic environment in a salt water tank?
Water for aquarium fish must be supported by a certain composition, in which the proportion of substances from the decay of organic matter is regulated. Despite the fact that in many respects equilibrium is achieved through the use of filtration, it is necessary to carry out regular replacement of water.
Deciding how to change the water in the aquarium, its owner must represent what kind of results he wants to achieve.
Complete replacement of all water in established aquarium systems is extremely rare and in exceptional cases. It adversely affects its inhabitants: the leaves of plants grow brighter and die off more quickly, and some fish may die.
What water is needed for aquariums when it is completely replaced? Water should be prepared in advance, otherwise all the benefits of such a replacement will be leveled by a sharp change in pH-environment and water temperature, which, in turn, will be stress for fish.
Therefore, for effective replacement of water it is often necessary to change its chemical composition.
The main question for novice marine aquarists is how to change the water in an aquarium with sea water, without disturbing its composition. The main reason for its replacement: an increase in the concentration of nitrites and nitrates in water.
Replacing water in an aquarium with a marine bio-system is different from a freshwater aquarium. Firstly, if there are whimsical hydrobionts in the aquarium, it is recommended to take water either distilled or passed through reverse osmosis.
There are aquarists who successfully use tap water to replace small amounts of water in fish aquariums. However, beginners should be aware that such a replacement is far from being possible for all types of marine fish and the water must be pre-filtered.
There are many discussions among non-professional owners of saltwater aquariums on how to change the water in aquariums with sea water. It is believed that the monthly substitution, which occurs in 5-20% of the aquarium water, does not give the desired effect when heavily polluted the aquarium. But replacing large amounts of water destabilizes the balance.
Therefore, the frequency of this process and the volume of water being replaced are determined by the efficiency of a particular aquarium. The need for an emergency replacement will be recognized by conducting regular water testing using tests.
The process of preparing water for the aquarium is simple. The purified water dissolves salts, which include: MgSO4x7H20, NaCI, KBr, MgCl2x6H2O, SrCl2x7H20, Na2CO3, CaCI2, KCI, H3BO3, NaHCO3, NaF.
It lasts 3 days and it is better to add salts in a certain sequence.
Full replacement of water in the marine aquarium is carried out only as part of its restart.
Replacing water is an important part of maintaining a healthy and balanced aquarium. Why do this and how often, we will try to tell you in detail in our article. There are many opinions about changing water: books, Internet portals, fish sellers and even your friends will give different numbers for the frequency and quantity of water being replaced.
It’s impossible to name the only correct decision, it all depends on many different factors that need to be taken into account.
In order to choose the ideal option for your aquarium, you need to understand why we are replacing just this amount of water, and not more or less. An error can lead to a catastrophe, and in case we replace too much and in case of too little.
If you do not substitute regular water in the aquarium, the level of nitrates (they are formed as decay products in the process of vital activity) will gradually increase. If you do not check their number, you will not even notice.
The fish in your tank gradually become accustomed to elevated levels and will experience stress only if the amount of nitrates in the water is very high for a long time. But any new fish is almost certainly accustomed to a lower level, and when you put it in your tank, it is stressed, sick and may die. In running aquariums, the death of a new fish causes an even greater shift in balance, and already old fish (weakened by a high content of nitrates), fall ill.
A vicious circle leads to the death of fish and distresses the aquarist.
Sellers know about this problem, as they themselves are often accused of killing fish. From the point of view of the aquarist, he bought new fish, launched them into the aquarium (where everything is fine), and soon all the new fish died, along with several old ones.
Sellers are naturally blamed, although the reason must be sought in their aquarium.
With regular water changes, the level of nitrates decreases and stays low.
Thus, you significantly reduce the chance of getting fish, both new and long-living in your tank.
The second problem for old water is the loss of minerals in the aquarium. Minerals help stabilize the pH of water, that is, to keep its acidity / alkalinity at the same level.
Without going into details, it works like this: acids are constantly produced in the aquarium, which decompose due to mineral substances and the pH level remains stable. If the level of minerals is lowered, the acidity of the water is constantly increasing.
If the acidity of the water increases to the limit, it can cause the death of all living things in the aquarium. Replacing water regularly introduces new minerals into old water, and the pH level remains stable.
Now, when it is clear that water replacement is important, you need to understand that too much, as too little water change is bad. Although in general, water change is needed, it is necessary to do it carefully, as any abrupt changes in the closed world of the aquarium harm it.
Too much water replaced at one time may be harmful. Why? When 50% or more of the water is changed to a new one, this significantly shifts the characteristics in the aquarium — rigidity, pH, even the temperature changes significantly.
As a result – shock for fish, useful bacteria that live in the filter can die, tender plants lose leaves.
In addition, the quality of tap water leaves much to be desired, namely, it is used in most cases. It has elevated levels of minerals, nitrates and chemicals for water treatment (the same chlorine).
All this is extremely negative impact on the inhabitants of the aquarium.
Replacing water only partially (no more than 30% at a time), and not half at once, you make only small changes in the established balance. Harmful substances come in limited quantities and are utilized by bacteria.
A large replacement, on the contrary, maintains a dangerous level and significantly upsets the balance.
How often it is necessary to change the water in the aquarium :: how often it is necessary to feed the fish in the aquarium :: Aquarium fish
In the aquarium periodically accumulated waste of fish and microorganisms, as well as harmful substances such as phosphates and nitrates. To get rid of them will help partial or complete replacement of water.
The question “opened a pet store. Business is not going. What to do? “- 2 answers
- – watering can;
- – 2 clean buckets;
- – 2 m of aquarium hose or primer;
- – towel.
1. If you have just purchased an aquarium, planted aquatic plants and launched fish in it, then you should not change the water in it during the first two months. At this time, the environment is not yet stable and it is not yet necessary to interfere in the formation of a microclimate.
2. After a couple of months, you can begin to replace the water. Experienced aquarists advise, as rarely as possible to resort to a complete replacement of water in the aquarium, but to replace a small amount of water, approximately 20% of the volume of the container must be made at least once a week.
3. To do this, prepare the water in advance. Put it in clean plastic buckets, which should only be used to work with the aquarium.
At the same time, they should not be washed with any cleaning agents, as they can have a detrimental effect on aquatic inhabitants. Let the water stand for a couple of days. During this time, harmful substances such as chlorine will disappear.
The water will become softer and acquire an optimum room temperature. If necessary, strain the water to remove impurities.
4. Put a clean bucket on the towel. Then drain 1/5 of the water from the aquarium with a hose.
Put one end of it in the aquarium, then suck in a little air through the second, thanks to this intake, the water will flow into the bucket.
5. Clean the bottom and walls of the aquarium from organic matter accumulated on them. For garbage collection, use a special siphon or primer.
Then pour in the separated water with a watering can.
6. Sometimes it is necessary to replace more water to half the volume of the aquarium. This disrupts the biological balance in the aquarium environment, so this procedure should be performed only in emergency cases, for example, if the fish began to be etched with copper or nitrates.
With such a cardinal water change, some plants and fish can die, but within a week the microflora will recover and you can continue to care for the aquarium, as usual, replacing a fifth of the water weekly.
7. Such a cardinal measure, as a complete replacement of water, should be carried out as a last resort, if the aquarium begins to flourish rapidly, fungal mucus appears, and the water in it is constantly turbid. This is usually due to improper maintenance of the aquarium or when introducing dangerous microorganisms.
8. When water is completely replaced, it is necessary to remove all the inhabitants, drain the water completely, remove all plants and decor. Then rinse everything thoroughly, plant algae again, install equipment, pour in soft water.
Run microorganisms, bacteria and fish. The first water change will need to begin only after 2-3 months.
We are preparing the aquarium to launch the fish at home
From the first minute of the appearance of the glass house, you need to know how often wall cleaning is required, as well as the correctness of the procedure. There is only one correct way of preparation, it needs to be remembered:
- Put the container “breathe” open at room temperature. This is required for the complete disappearance of the aroma of silicone. If the aquarium was purchased in winter, then it is worth leaving the dishes for the night so that the walls do not burst during cleaning.
- Regular baking soda and sponge – with their help, wash the walls outside and inside to clean the glass from any infections. Water use only warm, thorough flushing is required.
- Pour half of the desired amount of water, separated in 24 hours. Water immediately from the tap can not be poured!
- Lay out at the bottom of the “rocks”, living pebbles, “natural” caves and other interior required for convenient location of pets.
Tip! Very often, fish of a certain type require regular pebbles both on the bottom and fixed on the walls.
It is best to use a special glue that perfectly attaches the stones and does not poison the fish.
- After a full day, add all the water, retreating 5-7 cm from the edge of the aquarium.
- Run the fishes.
- If the water does not “run away”, then after 3-5 days it is drained, replacing it with a new one. Do not forget about the mandatory sludge fluid.
Tip! After changing the water for the first time for 1.5-2 months, the water is not completely changed at all! Such a measure is necessary to create a natural biological balance.
At the same time, it is necessary to frequently remove yellowed or rotted leaves of algae. But do not forget to follow the behavior of the fish – it will show how comfortable the pets are in the new environment.
Guppies are considered the best for beginners – these representatives do not require much care and quickly adapt to any conditions.
Restarting is called partial or complete replacement of plants, thorough cleaning of the walls. The procedure should be carried out only in the presence of infections, complete water pollution or if you got the “water world” from a careless owner and you need to completely clean up all the consequences of such “care.”
- Catch fish and put in a temporary shelter;
- Drain all the water, catch and rinse using baking soda or special solutions “interior” of the aquarium;
- Remove and clean soil fractions contaminated with excrement, rotten plants and other debris. This is done under a stream of water, in parts (preferably using a strainer), and with very noticeable dirt, the ground is completely changed. By the way, a good result is provided by cleaning with a siphon or a hose with a watering can at the end: open the water, run the watering can into the ground and rinse it turns out perfectly. If an infection has started in the ground, then it must be boiled in water. Usually, the soil is cleaned every 3-4 weeks;
- Washing the walls of the aquarium is the next stage of work. Glass needs to be washed completely. To do this, use a nylon sponge for washing dishes, scrapers (for removing plaque) and other improvised means. It is important not to scratch the walls of the aquarium, otherwise it is in such scratches that all the dirt will collect. Disinfection of the tank is carried out by means of boiling water, then the glass is cooled;
- Pour water on a third of the volume;
- Lay the soil and put back all the washed accessories (without plants);
- Let the water stand for about a week and you can plant plants that have survived in normal form, supplementing with new algae;
- Another 3-4 days and you can run the fish, topping up with water to the desired volume.
It takes time and some money to complete a full cleaning of the aquarium, but this is not all: before filling the tank with fish, it is necessary to conduct water samples.
❶ How to change the water in the aquarium fish :: how to change the water in the aquarium with fish :: Care and education
The quality of water directly affects the health of fish and other inhabitants of the aquarium. You need to change it several times a month, each time topping up a small part.
Water from the tap must be defended, and only after that it can be planted algae and underwater plants, as well as run your pets.
The question “How does a little girl retrain to go to the tray (she is 4 months old)? “- 3 answers
- -water tank;
- -siphon nozzle or plastic tube with a diameter of 1-1.5 centimeters;
- -additives to neutralize harmful substances (optional).
1. Get the right amount of water and defend it for at least 5-7 days. In the event that time is tight, after 1-2 days, filter the water through activated charcoal or boil for 10 minutes.
However, you must remember that in the process of boiling water loses oxygen and it must be aerated. Defend water only in an enamel or glass container (the enamel must be intact). It is undesirable, but still you can use plastic bottles to stand on them.
Put the water in a place where the sun will not fall on it.
2. If there is soil in your tank, drain off some of the old water using a special siphon nozzle. Otherwise, you can also use a plastic tube of small diameter (1-1.5 centimeters). At the end of the tube, dipped into the water, be sure to wear gauze so that the fish do not suck into it.
Do not forget about the walls of the aquarium, if they are very dirty, you must clean them before changing the water. Water replenishment is carried out only partially, at a time you can change no more than 1 / 3-1 / 5 of the volume of the aquarium.
You should carry out a complete change of water only in extreme cases, such as: the appearance of fungal mucus, entry of unwanted microorganisms, high soil contamination, etc.
3. To fill the aquarium, defend the water for at least 5 days, then pour the prepared it into the aquarium, plant the plants and run the fish. If you want to speed up the establishment of a normal environment, add a little water and soil to it from an already established, safe aquarium in which there is a ready-made complex of microorganisms.
If desired, you can purchase special supplements that neutralize harmful substances in the store; you will not need to defend water when using them.
Do not overfeed the fish, it is the erroneous feeding that often causes damage to the environment in the aquarium.
In order to check whether the water in the aquarium is good or not, inhale some air from its surface. The smell should be light and unobtrusive. Odor impurities indicate that adverse processes are occurring in the aquarium.
It is best to refill water once a week.
Despite the fact that some aquarists do not substitute water for years and say that they have everything ok, regular water changes are vital for an aquarium.
The amount of water that is worth changing varies from the conditions in your tank, but on average 10-20% per week is a normal amount for any tropical aquarium. Herbal plants or densely planted aquariums need a 10-15% change every two weeks.
The main task of the substitution is the removal of nitrates and ammonia, and the recovery of mineral balance. Without a water change, your aquarium will look good for a while, but only due to the fact that negative factors gradually accumulate.
For a long time, nitrates will accumulate, and the water becomes more and more acidic. But once the balance is broken and the aquarium will turn into a swamp.