Ranchu (Carassius gibelio forma auratus) is a type of goldfish, it is the fruit of labor of Japanese breeders. It is believed that ranches were bred 200-300 years ago, purebred fish are very expensive.
Representatives of this species were brought to Russia only in the 19th century, where aquarists called the fish Maruko.
Photo: Ranch Goldfish
The absence of the dorsal fin can be considered an interesting feature of the ranch, but the back itself has a strongly curved shape, the tail is forked and short, as if two forked fins had grown together. In relation to the body, it is located at an angle of 45 degrees. The pectoral and pelvic fins are also short, about half the height of the body.
At this, the ranch swims easily and gracefully, the body of the individuals is broad, egg-shaped, the fish grow up to 18 centimeters.
Important! Purebred specimens do not have growths, they are inherent in lion-headed ranches — a hybrid of ranches and orandes.
photo: Ranch goldfish grows up to 18 cm.
Ranch is a thermophilic creature sensitive to temperature extremes. You can keep the fish not only in aquariums, but also in ponds and pools. The recommended temperature is 18-22 degrees, although short-term fluctuations are permissible, pH is 7-8, hardness is from 15 to 25.
Choosing the ground, give preference to large gray sand, it is better to choose large-leaved plants – elodeyu, krovolniknik, vallyserie, leave and place for swimming. Weekly you need to change to the third part of the water in the aquarium must be an aerator and filter.
It is impossible to overfeed ranch, this short-bodied breed of goldfish is prone to diseases of the digestive system, it is necessary to feed pets with fresh and dry, and vegetable feed, preferably in small portions.
Photo: Ranch goldfish can live in ponds
Approximately in a year the small fish reaches sexual maturity. At this time, the abdomen in females is fuller, and in males a white rash appears on the gill flaps.
In the spawning 30-40 liters placed the female and a pair of males, before that they are well fed and kept separately. Producers after spawning are placed in another aquarium, unfertilized eggs (it can be seen on the 2nd day) are removed.
On the 5th day, fry already appear, you can feed them with “living dust”.
- In addition to the type of lion head ranch, the species Ranch Shubunkin and Ranch Voiletail were bred;
- Not all amateurs share the enthusiasm of Japanese breeders, and meanwhile, in the Land of the Rising Sun, real clubs are created, the task of which is to improve this species;
- The volume of the aquarium must be impressive – from 200 liters, it is possible to contain ranches in pools and ponds;
- Fry are painted black, they acquire their color only with age;
- The color of the ranch is different, the most valuable are individuals whose color spots are scattered all over the body or the gill wings and the space near the eyes are painted.