The speckled catfish is one of the most popular types of aquarium fish. The first mention of this representative of the fauna appeared 2 centuries ago, and every year its popularity only grows. Nowadays, you can often meet such a catfish not only among experienced aquarists, but also among beginners.
The fish is unpretentious and has an attractive appearance, for which it is appreciated around the world.
Speckled catfish have a short body with a convex back and flat abdomen.
The aquatic speckled catfish is a small fish of the armored catfish family. In many parts of the world, it is known as the corridor and spotted catfish. The homeland of this pet is the south-eastern part of South America.
There he lives in freshwater bodies of water, which are located in Paraguay, Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil.
In the wild, speckled catfish inhabit shallow water. Their favorite places are ponds, densely overgrown with algae and other vegetation.
The fish spends most of its life at the bottom of a river or lake, where it seeks for food and breeds.
One of the most easily recognizable fish is the speckled catfish corridor. It possesses a fin pointed from the edge, which is shaped like a triangle.
The abdomen of this aquatic inhabitant is flat and smooth. The adult has a rounded back and a slightly extended head.
This species of catfish has no scales, and the protective function is performed by armor plates, which are located throughout its body. In addition, for the defense against a few enemies, the catfish has small but sharp spines.
They are located on all fins and under the organs of sight.
The size of this fauna depends on gender.. Females are slightly larger than males and can reach 7.5 cm in length.
The color of individuals is heterogeneous and can vary from light olive (on the back) to brownish or golden (on the abdomen and near the fins). The mouth of this type of fish is located at the bottom of the head.
With it, the soma explores the bottom of the reservoir and select the plants and small stones needed to maintain health.
On the upper lip of the aquarium spotted catfish are 2 long antennae. Thanks to them, the fish is perfectly oriented in the dark and muddy water, and also finds food for food.
It is possible to distinguish the corridor from other species of catfish by spots that are located all over the body of the aquatic inhabitant. They have an irregular shape and never repeat.
Spotted catfish is nocturnal. At this time, he is not only looking for food, but also breeds.
In daylight, he is inactive and swims out of his shelter only in case of danger.
This pet aquarium is able to breathe, not only the gills. It is often possible to find a situation in which catfish rise to the surface of the water and swallow air with their mouths. After entering the body, it dissolves in the intestines and supplies the fish with oxygen.
This behavior may result from improper or insufficient aeration in the aquarium.
The corridor is one of the few representatives of the water element that can make sounds. He does this not with vocal cords, but with pectoral fins.
This feature can be observed in the mating period or with strong fright.
Spotted catfish are usually very quiet, calm and peace-loving fish. Because of their nature, they are able to coexist not only with other species of catfish, but also with all non-predatory individuals. Among the most popular species with which catfish get along well, It is worth highlighting the following:
Experienced aquarists do not recommend lodging corridors along with predators, heat-loving and large fish. All of them can not only harm the health of the catfish, but even kill him. Among the enemies stand out such:
- cichlids (African and South American);
- carps Koi.
The spotted soma does not transfer well to the mollusks and invertebrates, so their contact should be avoided and settled in separate aquariums.
Corridors are unpretentious creatures that do not require special conditions of detention or care. All aquarium enthusiasts are advised to start breeding fish with this particular species.
The maintenance of speckled catfish, as well as any other species of aquarium fish, dictates the conduct of daily activities. They will help to create the most comfortable conditions not only for life, but also for reproduction.
Mandatory actions are:
- Water change. During this operation, about a fifth of the entire liquid from the aquarium is removed and immediately replaced with a new one. This should be done at least once a week.
- Allocation for each individual 10 or more liters of the volume of the aquarium. It is important not to keep som alone. It is best to populate them in pairs or in small flocks.
- Maintain a constant water temperature in the aquarium. For corridors, the best option is to keep it at + 20 ° … + 25 ° С. At the same time, catfish can easily endure a sharp temperature drop.
- Maintain stable acidity and water hardness.
- Monthly replacement of the aquarium litter. It should consist of fine soil and dark gravel. In addition, there should be sand on the bottom. It is important to ensure that the litter is soft, as the catfish will often dig it up and look for food.
- Providing dim and diffused lighting. Soma live near the bottom, where there is turbid water and little light, so you need to try to recreate natural conditions for them. It is forbidden to put an aquarium with these representatives of the fauna near lighting devices or heating devices. In addition, you should protect your pets from direct sunlight.
- Planting live aquarium plants, styling of logs. This kind of catfish loves to hide and spends all daytime in shelters, so they need to build a few secluded places at the bottom of the aquarium.
If you liked the video – share with friends: