maintenance, care, compatibility
Before you get new inhabitants of the aquarium, you need to understand their types, types, characteristics of the content and other nuances. Certainly, the parrot is one of the best representatives of the water home world. This is a unique pet with a bright color, lively character and very funny manners.
It is noteworthy that for the breeding of the species, it took breeders several years and cross-breeding of fish from the order of South American type cichlids. It was from them that the “sea elf” received the color brightness and the funny characteristic “beak.”
In the family of parrot fish, 10 genera and more than 100 species are distinguished. But only some of them are known and more common:
- Red parrot The individual grows up to 25 cm, the color is predominantly red in combination with yellow, a distinctive feature is the beak, sometimes supplemented with sharp incisors and canines protruding to the outside. It is important that this fish changes its color several times as it matures. Natural loneliness in coral reefs does not affect good neighborly relations in the aquarium. By the way, it is the red parrot that is the most favorite inhabitant of beginning aquarists and the photos of fish can often be seen on sites. The pet’s nighttime rest is especially interesting – the fish at night creates itself a cocoon in the form of a cover made of mucus and prefers to sleep protected from all external influences.
- Scar. Small representatives of the species, growing to 19 cm and having more than 50 species. The most famous are: dark, striped-bruised, Red Sea and guacamayia. The natural habitat is a coral reef, where fish feed on mollusks and some species of coral. But do not worry, aquarium parrots – Skara well belong to a variety of traditional food.
- The green shish-thorn is an amazing representative of the fish family. To begin with, this “Petrovsky grenadier” grows to 100 cm or more, and the weight is also considerable – from 40 kg, such photos are often found on websites. But this all refers to the natural existence, aquarium representatives are much smaller, although here it will look like a “gulliver” among all other inhabitants. And do not forget that any quarrel of a green parrot with another pet can end in tears: using your forehead as a ram, the companion literally knocks the enemy “off his feet”, very skillfully attacking.
Of course, there is a parrot fish of other colors and colors: red, pearl, with a purple hue. Also there are representatives with various types of beaks.
And if you had the idea to start a couple of persons in your tank, you should think about the nature of other inhabitants, so as not to create unnecessary problems.
Immediately, we note that these scaly friends are distinguished by tranquility and peacefulness. But there are some points in the content of individuals necessary to create a normal environment for other pets.
- Nimble or calm fish that like to rake ground and disdain vegetation are the best friends of aquarium parrots.
- Angelfish – a problem may arise with them. A red parrot or another species mercilessly plucks algae where the scalar loves to hide. And after eating the twigs, the individual can pay attention to the neighbor herself, who is unlikely to enjoy the sea elf’s snooty character. Although in life there are examples of the normal coexistence of all types of fish, however, the aquarium should be at least 200 liters.
- Small fish – the subject of special “adoration.” The parrot fish will definitely try the little one on a tooth, without even noticing this fact. Therefore, if your friends are scaly friends less than 5 cm long, you do not need to tempt fate, get two aquariums.
Playful disposition, great mobility, a tendency to attack, intelligence and cunning – all this is aquarium parrot fish. Want to settle a couple at home, take care of a spacious aquarium, at least 180-200 liters. The natural conditions of pets are in the coral reefs, so the pump is an indispensable element of the artificial “lake”, without which your “sea elves” will not be able to eat and feel normal.
Optimum temperature + 22-26 C, hardness not more than 7.5 pH. A prerequisite is the saturation of water with oxygen. Constant aeration is necessary; parrot fish can only live in running water.
Replacing at least half the volume of the aquarium once a week is law. And cover the aquarium with a net, as from a small vessel your fish can easily jump out.
The maintenance of the fish does not require a special design of the aquarium, parrots are very unpretentious to the presence of special plants and other nuances. But the soil and small stones at the bottom should be, pets love poking around in their beaks, tearing bottom sediments.
It is also important to remember that a parrot fish, and especially a red parrot, is distinguished by an irrepressible love for building nests. Looking at the photo, you will see how the night cocoons look, which then surely will appear in your aquarium.
Pelvicahromis pulher (lat. Pelvicachromis pulcher) or as it is also called cichlid parrot, and most often aquarium parrot fish is an excellent choice, especially among those aquarists who want to try to contain cichlids in the aquarium. In addition to their very bright colors, they also differ in interesting behavior.
But the most important thing that attracts aquarists is small size, peaceful behavior. They can be contained in small aquariums and at the same time quite unpretentious to the parameters of water and types of food.
The aquarium parrot fish is calm enough for a cichlid fish, which can be kept in a general aquarium without fear that it will kill someone. Thick-grown aquariums love kribensis, and although they also like to dig deeper in the ground, they don’t pull out and touch the plants. Like all cichlids, parrots love shelter, but also need an open spot for swimming, however, they mostly stay at the bottom.
It is especially funny to watch parents with a flock of fry, gray and imperceptible, they instantly obey any order of the parents and dissolve literally before your eyes.