maintenance, care, compatibility
Parrot fish – peaceful tsikhlovaya. It does not have a natural habitat, it has not been officially discovered and described by natural scientists, therefore there is no Latin name for the species, only the production name in English is Red Parrot (red parrot). This cichlid got its name due to the saturated color of the body.
The texture of the head visually resembles the beak of a parrot. However, some characteristics of the anatomical structure of fish are associated with physical abnormalities that are inherent in many hybrids. Such deviations sometimes lead to death.
Firstly, the fish is barren, and secondly, it has a very unusual mouth opening vertically at a small angle.
Watch a video with a story about a parrot fish.
Parrots are different in that they are not so easy to feed them: the wrong mouth can cause a pet to die of starvation. Suppliers admit that the motley, bright color, which aquarium parrots own – not real, but artificial, that’s just how one manages to get richness, was kept secret.
Parrots are mysterious ornamental fish, therefore humane aquarists are not satisfied with this approach to breeding – they demand to prohibit the sale of this hybrid.
The red parrot is a cute aquarium fish, whose length in an aquarium reaches 15 cm. In the absence of serious deviations, it can live peacefully in a home aquarium, pleasing the eyes of all family members. The content is easy, but requires familiarization with the features of the species.
Despite congenital defects, the red cichlid is energetic, enduring, and in good health.
Parrots will be the real pearls of any aquarium thanks to a special color. Body color can be red, blue, cream, purple, yellow, orange, green and so on. There are mixed, “wild” colors like natural cichlids.
With age, the body color fades, so the fish is fed with special foods enriched with carotene (for red scales).
Before you get new inhabitants of the aquarium, you need to understand their types, types, characteristics of the content and other nuances. Certainly, the parrot is one of the best representatives of the water home world.
This is a unique pet with a bright color, lively character and very funny manners. It is noteworthy that for the breeding of the species, it took breeders several years and cross-breeding of fish from the order of South American type cichlids.
It was from them that the “sea elf” received the color brightness and the funny characteristic “beak.”
In the family of parrot fish, 10 genera and more than 100 species are distinguished. But only some of them are known and more common:
- Red parrot The individual grows up to 25 cm, the color is predominantly red in combination with yellow, a distinctive feature is the beak, sometimes supplemented with sharp incisors and canines protruding to the outside. It is important that this fish changes its color several times as it matures. Natural loneliness in coral reefs does not affect good neighborly relations in the aquarium. By the way, it is the red parrot that is the most favorite inhabitant of beginning aquarists and the photos of fish can often be seen on sites. The pet’s nighttime rest is especially interesting – the fish at night creates itself a cocoon in the form of a cover made of mucus and prefers to sleep protected from all external influences.
- Scar. Small representatives of the species, growing to 19 cm and having more than 50 species. The most famous are: dark, striped-bruised, Red Sea and guacamayia. The natural habitat is a coral reef, where fish feed on mollusks and some species of coral. But do not worry, aquarium parrots – Skara well belong to a variety of traditional food.
- The green shish-thorn is an amazing representative of the fish family. To begin with, this “Petrovsky grenadier” grows to 100 cm or more, and the weight is also considerable – from 40 kg, such photos are often found on websites. But this all refers to the natural existence, aquarium representatives are much smaller, although here it will look like a “gulliver” among all other inhabitants. And do not forget that any quarrel of a green parrot with another pet can end in tears: using your forehead as a ram, the companion literally knocks the enemy “off his feet”, very skillfully attacking.
Of course, there is a parrot fish of other colors and colors: red, pearl, with a purple hue. Also there are representatives with various types of beaks.
And if you had the idea to start a couple of persons in your tank, you should think about the nature of other inhabitants, so as not to create unnecessary problems.
Immediately, we note that these scaly friends are distinguished by tranquility and peacefulness. But there are some points in the content of individuals necessary to create a normal environment for other pets.
- Nimble or calm fish that like to rake ground and disdain vegetation are the best friends of aquarium parrots.
- Angelfish – a problem may arise with them. A red parrot or another species mercilessly plucks algae where the scalar loves to hide. And after eating the twigs, the individual can pay attention to the neighbor herself, who is unlikely to enjoy the sea elf’s snooty character. Although in life there are examples of the normal coexistence of all types of fish, however, the aquarium should be at least 200 liters.
- Small fish – the subject of special “adoration.” The parrot fish will definitely try the little one on a tooth, without even noticing this fact. Therefore, if your friends are scaly friends less than 5 cm long, you do not need to tempt fate, get two aquariums.
Parrot fish, or red parrot (Red Parrot) – a representative of the Cichlow family. It is a hybrid of aquarium fish, which appeared as a result of selection of two representatives of Cichlids.
In 1991, the fish became the property of the first aquariums. Its production has increased, with time it received the name “red parrot”.
The history of creating a hybrid carefully classified, however, this applies to many fish, artificially bred. There is a version that the Red Parrot is a descendant of several South American Cichlovas, as a result of triple crossing. Asian breeders strictly protect the right to the maintenance of this fish.
The red parrot can interbreed and bring offspring, but very few people managed to see their eggs.
Aquarium parrot fish has an unusual body color. Thanks to him, she is popular among breeders and lovers. All the pet shops and aquariums in the world do not deny themselves the pleasure of settling this wonderful creature.
In Russia, a red parrot appeared in the 90s of the twentieth century.
Aquarium parrot fish can live in a water tank, both separately and with other fish. Compatibility with the rest of the underwater world has been studied in detail, so you should remember only the general parameters of water for all, the conditions of feeding and the list of fish with which it will peacefully coexist.
Red parrots are funny, playful, moving fish, there should be enough space in the dwelling for movement. Choose an aquarium of at least 200 liters for one individual. If you are going to push neighbors to them, then you can choose a container with a volume of 800 liters.
Create an undercurrent, it is familiar to all tsikhlovyh.
Water parameters for all residents of the general aquarium should be as follows: temperature 22-26 degrees, acidity 6.5-7.6 pH, dH 6-15. Water is recommended to saturate with oxygen, aeration is important. Replace ½ part water with fresh water weekly.
The red parrot must live in a spacious aquarium, because of its jumping ability, it may inadvertently jump out of the water, close the tank with a lid.
Aquarium plants are not required in large quantities, but if they are, then keep in mind that many twisted nests will appear in the water.
Check out the recommendations on the compatibility of parrots with other fish.
By launching an adult into a prepared water tank, she will hide for fear in a shelter for several weeks, and will eventually get used to the new house and neighbors. It is curious that the young fish poorly adapts to the parrots, with whom it did not grow together.
Immediately get 4-6 fry that are already “familiar.”
Due to the calm nature of the fish can live in water with medium fish. Compatibility is likely with predators and peace-loving species.
It’s better not to settle with small species (guppies, neons, microassemblies, danios, catfish) – the red parrot will swallow them. Recommendations for settling parrots with other fish in the common nursery:
- The best neighbors for parrot fish are labo, arovanas, black knives, South American cichlids, medium catfish, large barbs, fish of the Kharatsin family.
- Do not move them with fish that constantly require shelter.
- Move active, fast-swimming fish with them.
- Do not move shrimps and small crustaceans with them.
- Optimal shelters for all fish in a common container – large coconut grottoes, dense algae, medium pebbles and stone caves.
- In order to avoid the disease of all fish, constantly maintain the purity of the aquarium and monitor the water parameters.
- The red parrot swims in the lower layers of water, during the spawning period the males become more aggressive, so choose fish swimming in the upper layers of the aquarium as cohabitants.
- Do not settle snails with them – they gnaw through the shell, swallowing the fragments.
Pelvicahromis pulher (lat. Pelvicachromis pulcher) or as it is also called cichlid parrot, and most often aquarium parrot fish is an excellent choice, especially among those aquarists who want to try to contain cichlids in the aquarium.
In addition to their very bright colors, they also differ in interesting behavior. But the most important thing that attracts aquarists is small size, peaceful behavior.
They can be contained in small aquariums and at the same time quite unpretentious to the parameters of water and types of food.
The aquarium parrot fish is calm enough for a cichlid fish, which can be kept in a general aquarium without fear that it will kill someone. Thick-grown aquariums love kribensis, and although they also like to dig deeper in the ground, they don’t pull out and touch the plants.
Like all cichlids, parrots love shelter, but also need an open spot for swimming, however, they mostly stay at the bottom. It is especially funny to watch parents with a flock of fry, gray and imperceptible, they instantly obey any order of the parents and dissolve literally before your eyes.