maintenance, care, compatibility
Aquarium breeding is not difficult, if you do not take very demanding types of fish. There are many nuances that need to know an experienced aquarist, but you still get to them. And what should a beginner do?
You say to yourself: I want an aquarium! Where to begin?
We have prepared for you 10 golden rules that will help you to do everything right in the aquarium from the very beginning. The main thing is not to overfeed the fish. In the new aquarium it is better to feed the fish once a day, but after a while you can increase the quantity, following the rule – a little and often.
The main cause of problems for beginners aquarists (often even experienced ones) is too abundant feeding. Aquarium is a closed environment, so that it does not get into it, it will become part of the water in which the fish live.
The food gets into the ground, where it rots, releases toxic phosphates, accelerates the growth of harmful algae, and makes the aquarium look unhealthy. Overfeed the fish and the water becomes muddy, the fish get sick, and the glass will cover the disgusting algae.
How to understand if you are overfeeding fish? Everything that you threw into the aquarium should be eaten within a minute, if the food fell to the bottom or was not eaten in a minute, this is wrong!
The exception to this rule is catfish, they need sinking food, such as pills, and even if they fell to the bottom, catfish will quickly destroy them.
In the new aquarium, it is better to feed the fish once a day, but after a while you can increase the quantity, following the rule – little by little and often. Arrange a fasting day once a week – do not feed the fish, this will allow them to stay healthy and look for food on their own.
The most important thing is to enjoy your aquarium and fish, and spend a lot of time with it. Aquaristics is a rest, a part of real nature in our home, and it is not as difficult as it seems.
Try, make mistakes, but do not throw and after a while, you will already help beginners.
Continuing the article about the installation directly: How to run an aquarium?
Maintaining order in the aquarium seems like a no-brainer. For some reason it is considered that you need to change all the water in the aquarium.
But the main things are a partial replacement of water, removing dirt from the ground, removing algae, and cleaning the filter. All this is enough to do once a week. And for the new aquarium water replacement is not needed!
Only after a few months you need to start regularly changing up to 30% of water.
If your fish is sick – not eating, hiding, losing color, or behaving strangely, and the water quality and conditions in the aquarium are normal, then it is often difficult to understand why the fish got sick. Beginners often do not take into account one important factor – the environment in which the fish lives. Everything, for example – rocks, plants, decor, even other fish affects your pets.
If you take a small fish that lives in nature in densely overgrown, shady ponds and streams and put it in your aquarium with bright soil, light and no plants …. It will experience stress, it will get sick or die. Take the same fish, run into the aquarium with plants, soft light and she will eat well and grow.
When you buy fish, do not take all that you like. Now a lot of information, read, think, learn and compatibility of different types and you will not have to be disappointed.
Filters, lights, soil can directly affect how well your aquarium will look. It is unlikely that you will put a filter that suits the whirlpool, but a weak filter is a common mistake. As a result, the gradual deterioration of water quality, poisoning of fish and plants.
Small internal filters are good for beginners, but they often fail and spoil the aquarium with their appearance. For aquariums longer than 60 cm, it is worth thinking about the internal filter, which filters much better.
As for the soil, you need to understand – whether you want to keep live plants in the aquarium. If so, the best choice is fine gravel is a good choice.
It is well filtered, not stale, unlike sand. But if you want an aquarium with beautiful plants, look in the direction of branded soil mixtures.
They are not cheap, but they give excellent results.
A very common mistake when aquarists wash the filter and its contents under running water and with soap. Such a wash harms both the fish and the bacteria that live inside your filter and help establish a balance.
Always wash the filter only with the water you have collected from the aquarium.
There are hundreds of types of fish you can buy and they are all different. Some grow large, some are aggressive, others are fighting with their own kind, or territorial, some predators. Choosing incompatible fish you create problems yourself, suffering for fish, and all this is easy to get around if you first study a little fish.
Instead of buying at random, read about them, look in the store, ask around about the fish. 10 simple fish for beginners
A new aquarium is not settled, it needs time so that the bacteria decomposing waste multiplied and settled down. If you run your tank too fast, add too many fish, you can get a bacterial outbreak, turbidity and fish death. Launch a new aquarium slowly.
Add fish a little, once a week.
The bulk of the problems in the aquarium lies in the quality of the water. Therefore, it is important that you know everything about the water in the aquarium and regularly conduct tests. Water tests are very simple, and a scientific degree in chemistry is completely unnecessary.
In most cases, a simple set can be found in the nearest pet store. Buy, it will help to avoid serious problems.
Although the network can find the answer to almost any question, it is still better to communicate with the person. Meet the enthusiastic aquarist – he will always give you good advice, help you in difficult situations and avoid mistakes and disappointments in your new hobby.
Now there are many thematic forums, do not hesitate to ask questions, they will be happy to answer them there.
A beautiful aquarium in the house brings joy to our lives during the contemplation of fish and perfectly affects the psychological component. Each novice aquarist unwittingly wonders where to start, to get everything right for the aquarium, run it right the first time and prevent the fish from dying.
Before acquiring a tank for fish, it is necessary to carefully consider its design and shape so that it fits into the interior of the room as naturally as possible, does not interfere with its basic purpose and is located in a place convenient for viewing.
By design, aquariums are on a stand, on legs, suspended, angled, frame and frameless. In form, they are represented by more than a wide choice, the main of which are:
- spherical (round);
- cubic (square);
- parallelepipedal (rectangular);
- parallelepipedal with convex viewing glass (panoramic);
- prismoidal (with a regular polygon of the bottom, as a rule, high, for a floor installation);
- pyromidoidal (triangular, for closed-type aquariums).
The main parameters for choosing a tank for keeping fish in a novice aquarist are the following factors:
- correct installation, which should allow various manipulations during operation (removal or installation of the cover and backlight, feeding fish, planting plants, cleaning the filter, bottom siphon, etc.);
- the exclusion of direct sunlight on its surface;
- the number and size of the aquarium population (the required volume of the aquarium depends on this. If there is no certainty for specific fish, then take at least 1 liter of water per 1 cm of adult fish, i.e. if you want to contain 10 fish 8 cm long, you need an aquarium more than 80 liters, it will avoid overcrowding and allow it to develop well and feel comfortable for its inhabitants).
Together with the aquarium offer covers with integrated lighting and cabinets for them. If there is no specific place to install the aquarium, then you can use this offer. A lid for a backlit aquarium will prevent many species of fish from jumping out, reduce evaporation of water into the atmosphere of the room, and also provide artificial lighting for the plant and allow you to control the length of the day in a pond.
The cabinet is suitable for storing all sorts of accessories (a net, tubes, suckers, feeders, literature, etc.), feed and other things related to the aquarium.
There is a standard set of equipment for aquariums:
- Illumination (the choice of lamp power and the duration of illumination during the day depends on the inhabitants and plants);
- water heater (it is better to choose with automatic temperature control);
- Aerator and water filter can be both combined and separate (power depends on the volume of the aquarium).
The selection of soil and scenery depends on the inhabitants, but small fractional rounded gravel without sharp edges is considered universal. The thickness of the soil at the bottom should be from 5 to 7 cm, this will allow plants to root well and grow.
You can use locks, sunken ships, etc. to decorate and create a unique interior.
Practically all viviparous fishes are suitable for beginner aquarists: mollies, swordtails, petilles and gupias. They are beautiful, elegant, not difficult to maintain and hardy.
The content and reproduction of these species will allow you to learn the basics of aquarism while investing minimal financial and time costs.
You can run a few small catfish to the viviparous fish. They differ in coloring, body shape and behavior. Somiki will add refinement to the aquarium and will eat the remnants of food and clean the plants.
Antsitrus catfish suckers are perfect.
From low-priced low-priced plants, you can use elodea, valisneria, cryptocarin, and from superficial plants, ichie or duckweed. You can also add lumps of moss to a kladofor or javanese moss.
Before releasing beautiful fish in the aquarium, it takes about two weeks. One day can be done:
- laying soil, planting plants, installation of lighting decorations, heating, filter aerator;
- filling the aquarium with tap water;
- turning on the heater and filter aerator.
After that, you need to wait a week for chlorine to evaporate from the water during this time. It is allowed to add various normalizers to the water, which improve the water parameters.
Before using them, you should consult with competent aquarists or sellers who know the parameters of tap water in your area.
After a week, you can run the first, most enduring inhabitants – snails ampoules, tritons, frogs or shrimp. Often the first are ampulyarii. They have a positive effect on the formation of an ecosystem in an aquarium.
Water in a room pond is gaining stability in the order of a month and may become cloudy. Over time, it will clear and be transparent. And only depending on the state of water and the state of health of the ampoule, after about a week you can run inexpensive fish.
More information about the first launch of the aquarium can be found here.
There are some general tips on keeping and breeding fish, but it all depends on the specific inhabitants of your aquarium.
- It is better to buy a rectangular aquarium without panoramic glass, while its length should be greater than the height and width less than the height.
- The volume of the aquarium of about 100 liters will allow you to contain a closed ecosystem (the state of water in the temperature, chemical and biological ranges will be less subject to drastic changes, which will affect the health of the fish), and will also require lower maintenance costs.
- Maintaining a constant temperature will save the fish from many diseases.
- Overfeeding fish can not be, and better to feed once a day. Food should be varied – live, frozen, dry (if you feed constantly alive, the fish begin to get fat and it becomes difficult for them to multiply).
- Change the water in the aquarium weekly with the replacement of up to 30% of the total. Cleaning and siphon bottom in the first month after launch do not need. Depending on the number of fish, pollution of the bottom or chemical indicators of water, these activities should be carried out approximately once every two to four weeks.
- The water filter and aerator in the aquarium should work around the clock.
- Lighting needs to be controlled, otherwise excessive growth of algae or plants will begin. The duration of coverage per day is in the range from 8 to 12 hours.
How to choose an aquarium will tell experts of the program “Cheap and angry” (Channel One):