maintenance, care, compatibility
Sometimes aquarium fish you have to transport: when you buy at the pet store, when you move, when you catch an exotic fish in another country. In order for them to arrive alive and healthy, it is necessary to create comfortable conditions for travel.
The question “opened a pet store. Business is not going. What to do? “- 2 answers
- – Container for transportation (package, bank, plastic box);
- – A can of oxygen (for the second and third paragraph);
- – Battery-powered compressor.
1. In transit fish for short distances you only need a suitable container. In the pet store sold tight bags, special hermetically sealed cans and boxes of various sizes. The ratio of water and air in the tank can be from 1: 1 to 1: 3.
Often in pet stores can add oxygen instead of air, but when transported over short distances it is not fundamental. The most important when transporting fish – Do not expose them to temperature shock.
A sharp temperature drop of 4 degrees in any direction can be fatal. Therefore, in winter, it is better to transport the container with fish in the bosom or in a heated transport, and in hot conditions, protect it from direct sunlight and use an air-conditioned vehicle.
2. Transportation over long distances is much more difficult. In this case, you need the lowest possible density of planting, and the ratio of water and gas in the container should be at least 1: 2 and the air should be enriched with oxygen. For some types of fish you can use pure oxygen.
Before a long trip, it is better not to feed them a day, because a full-bodied fish consumes more oxygen than a hungry one and produces more water-poisoning waste products. Do not worry, a hunger strike for several days will not hurt them.
In this case, as well as in any other, recommendations on observance of temperature conditions are also relevant.
3. Sometimes there are such situations that fish must be transported over long distances with high density of landing. In this case, their life is completely dependent on you, since the supply of oxygen in the tank will end in about 4-5 hours.
After this period, you need to untie the package / open the container, put the compressor spray there and turn it on. Make sure that the flow of air bubbles is not too strong, otherwise the fish may be frightened and even die from shock. With a long journey, you can take breaks in aeration for about 2 hours, or 4-5 when pumping oxygen into the tank.
This is very useful, as it is impossible to leave an uncovered container with fish in a moving vehicle unattended.
One liter of water should be no more than 150 g of fish weight. Otherwise, they are unlikely to be able to take everyone alive, if the travel time exceeds 3 hours.
In the dark, the activity of the fish is reduced, so that they are less stressful and more easily tolerate transportation.