Good day, dear subscribers and readers Aquablog. Today’s post will be published at the request of one of the readers who left a comment on the article quarantine of fish. Ivan, as I promised, I prepared for you a post on how to deal with the green algae arising on the walls of aquases.
But before going directly to the problem itself, you need to go into a small excursion about algae, and then I will tell you how to deal with unwanted guests.
In general, algae in our aquariums get in different ways, and in particular with plants from the store, aquarium fish on which there were their spores, food, snags and stones. If the conditions for the development of these pests are favorable in the aquarium, then they will successfully begin to bloom and smell. If no action is taken, the entire aesthetic appearance of the aquarium, even the most beautiful, will be spoiled by unwanted organisms.
To avoid this, it is necessary to perform a series of care operations for the aquarium, namely: regularly replace the water, monitor the intensity of light and the duration of the day, filter the aquarium water.
Algae in aquases that have just been launched are especially dangerous, since higher aquarian plants have established a normal metabolism, and therefore, in the first weeks after the launch of the aquarium, there is a battle between higher and lower plants. The ideal option is when higher plants clog the algae and take away all the nutrients from them, without which the existence of the latter is unthinkable.
In the first weeks after launch, do not hurry to let the fish into the underwater garden, it is better to plant more fast-growing plants such as cabomba, wallisneria, peristristum, hygrophil and so on. As soon as you saw that these plants quickly went into growth, they are gradually replaced by others, slowly growing.
Well, now some useful recommendations for combating green algae on the walls of your jar:
– as practice has shown, all types of algae do not tolerate when they are disturbed. If the walls of the aquarium are very quickly overgrown, then take a scraper in your hands and clean them every day from the walls of your water;
– Try to block the algae access of nutrients, that is organic. There is an option to reduce the length of daylight hours + daily water changes in the amount of of the total. If you perform these operations in a week or two, the result will not make you wait long;
– control the population of the aquarium, do not allow the overpopulated. Fish like all normal living organisms, sorry for the expression, also serut.
This in turn will go to feed for algae. Siphon regularly aquarium soil;
– Do not overfeed fish and after feeding, the remnants of undernourished food should be deposited on the bottom of the aquarium and fall between the fractions of the soil. This is also an additional organic that, again, feed for algae;
– Aquarium fishes have proven themselves very well, such as: girinoheylus, autozinclus, ancistrus, mollies, swordsman, guppy, labo, Siamese seaweed. You can also buy a dozen ampouleries. It is only desirable that they be young, otherwise they will then begin to sharpen the plants with delicate leaves;
– try to maintain biological balance in your bank. Do not allow sudden surges of nitrates, phosphates, sharp changes in hardness, acidity. If there is such an opportunity, buy the necessary tests.
They are online stores are inexpensive. I wrote about the nitrate cycle in an aquarium in this article;
– stimulate the growth of higher plants by regularly feeding fertilizers and if finances allow, buy a CO2 installation. If this is expensive for you, you can use another option with a plastic bottle and yeast.
Somehow I will write a post about a self-made CO2 installation.
Generally, if the fouling is insignificant, then it is not necessary to sound the alarm and look for information in the nete how to get rid of the misfortune. It is considered quite normal that with regular water changes you need to clean the glass with a scraper.
From replacement to replacement, if there is a slight cover of green algae on the glasses, this is considered normal. This suggests that the aquarium environment is fairly clean and that you maintain your aquarium correctly.
Well, actually, and all the basic methods of algae control, there is certainly an option using copper sulfate, but I have not tried this method, so I will not advise you. You can also buy branded imported drugs to combat algae, but I think they will give only a temporary effect.
The main biological balance. If this is the case, then there should be no problems.
At this point I’m finishing the post, I hope it was useful for you and I answered the question posed. Waiting for new comments on the article 🙂 See you soon!