maintenance, care, compatibility
How to clean the aquarium – the secrets and tricks
How many articles have been written about this, how much has been said … but still people are interested in this question. Our site also has a fairly comprehensive article that HOW TO WASH THE AQUARIUM.
In this article I would like to pay attention to the ways and means of cleaning the aquarium.
So, first of all the walls (glass) of the aquarium are cleaned. This action should be carried out in the event that the walls of the aquarium rummaged, for example, green dots or brown patina.
To do this, you can use special magnetic scrubs or brushes for aquariums. Like these ones:
Such magnetic brushes for an aquarium, very well cope with their task –
in just a few seconds, all algal green and brown fouling are scrubbed off the aquarium glass
How to clean and wash the aquarium: the rules, methods, video examples
Planned cleaning of the aquarium is carried out more carefully than washing a new aquarium. Such an aquarium is washed with chemistry several times, growths are mechanically removed and shaken off, the aquarium is subjected to heat treatment.
After washing such an aquarium, it is advisable to dry for at least a day.
Wash and clean the aquarium in emergency situations – after illness and treatment of fish
Unfortunately, it happens that an infection gets into an aquarium. As a result, the fish get sick and need treatment, and the aquarium needs total disinfection.
In such cases, a simple sink will not do. Infectious aquariums are poured daily with disinfectants to the brim.
The easiest way to fill the aquarium with bleach or other household disinfectants. Pay attention – disinfecting agents.
Not all household chemicals have disinfectant properties, read the instructions for the tool.
Recommend to use: potassium permanganate solution, chloramine solution, formalin solution, bleach solution, hydrochloric or sulfuric acid solution.
When mycobacteriosis is recommended to fill the aquariums with washing powder at the rate of a pound of powder per 30 liters of water.
In addition, the entire aquarium inventory is subjected to heat treatment – boiling.
After disinfection, I also recommend putting the aquarium to dry for at least 24 hours.
Since some people in the “Aquarium Wash” put the concept of weekly cleaning of the aquarium, we will highlight this question.
When cleaning the aquarium every week, the following procedure should be strictly followed:
1. Get the equipment: filter, aeration, thermostat. Everything is washed, put aside.
2. If necessary, the care and cutting of plants.
3. Clean the walls of the aquarium. Sponge or special scrapers wipers.
4. If necessary, siphon soil. It is not necessary to clean the soil weekly, especially if there are live plants in the aquarium.
5. Only after that the water is replaced: the old water is drained and freshly added is added.
6. Install the equipment back cleaned.
Do not forget to clean the aquarium cover and the lamps from the inside at least once a month.
After all the manipulations, the aquarium is wiped with a dry cloth, stains can be removed with a window cleaner.
Observing the above simple rules the process of washing an aquarium will not be difficult and tedious, and the result will be as efficient as possible.
Useful video, how to clean and wash the aquarium
We are preparing the aquarium to launch the fish at home
From the first minute of the appearance of the glass house, you need to know how often wall cleaning is required, as well as the correctness of the procedure. There is only one correct way of preparation, it needs to be remembered:
- Put the container “breathe” open at room temperature. This is required for the complete disappearance of the aroma of silicone. If the aquarium was purchased in winter, then it is worth leaving the dishes for the night so that the walls do not burst during cleaning.
- Regular baking soda and sponge – with their help, wash the walls outside and inside to clean the glass from any infections. Water use only warm, thorough flushing is required.
- Pour half of the desired amount of water, separated in 24 hours. Water immediately from the tap can not be poured!
- Lay out at the bottom of the “rocks”, living pebbles, “natural” caves and other interior required for convenient location of pets.
Tip! Very often, fish of a certain type require regular pebbles both on the bottom and fixed on the walls.
It is best to use a special glue that perfectly attaches the stones and does not poison the fish.
- After a full day, add all the water, retreating 5-7 cm from the edge of the aquarium.
- Run the fishes.
- If the water does not “run away”, then after 3-5 days it is drained, replacing it with a new one. Do not forget about the mandatory sludge fluid.
Tip! After changing the water for the first time for 1.5-2 months, the water is not completely changed at all! Such a measure is necessary to create a natural biological balance.
At the same time, it is necessary to frequently remove yellowed or rotted leaves of algae. But do not forget to follow the behavior of the fish – it will show how comfortable the pets are in the new environment.
Guppies are considered the best for beginners – these representatives do not require much care and quickly adapt to any conditions.
Restarting is called partial or complete replacement of plants, thorough cleaning of the walls. The procedure should be carried out only in the presence of infections, complete water pollution or if you got the “water world” from a careless owner and you need to completely clean up all the consequences of such “care.”
- Catch fish and put in a temporary shelter;
- Drain all the water, catch and rinse using baking soda or special solutions “interior” of the aquarium;
- Remove and clean soil fractions contaminated with excrement, rotten plants and other debris. This is done under a stream of water, in parts (preferably using a strainer), and with very noticeable dirt, the ground is completely changed. By the way, a good result is provided by cleaning with a siphon or a hose with a watering can at the end: open the water, run the watering can into the ground and rinse it turns out perfectly. If an infection has started in the ground, then it must be boiled in water. Usually, the soil is cleaned every 3-4 weeks;
- Washing the walls of the aquarium is the next stage of work. Glass needs to be washed completely. To do this, use a nylon sponge for washing dishes, scrapers (for removing plaque) and other improvised means. It is important not to scratch the walls of the aquarium, otherwise it is in such scratches that all the dirt will collect. Disinfection of the tank is carried out by means of boiling water, then the glass is cooled;
- Pour water on a third of the volume;
- Lay the soil and put back all the washed accessories (without plants);
- Let the water stand for about a week and you can plant plants that have survived in normal form, supplementing with new algae;
- Another 3-4 days and you can run the fish, topping up with water to the desired volume.
It takes time and some money to complete a full cleaning of the aquarium, but this is not all: before filling the tank with fish, it is necessary to conduct water samples.
- Half of the fluid needs to be replaced every 7 days;
- Capacities in volume more than 200 l, need to be cleaned once in 15 days;
- If the aquarium is less than 150 liters, then care is required every 7-10 days.
Remember that cleaning the aquarium depends on filling it with fish. Numerous inhabitants quickly pollute the water, the soil.
Also, the garbage remains after feeding, and here it is important to choose the optimal dose so that the feed particles that remain in the ground do not remain.
Tips from experienced aquarists – this is useful, but do not follow them blindly, because if you clean often, the natural balance is broken. The real state of affairs will show the inhabitants of your “water world”, and how to clean the aquarium, you already know.