maintenance, care, compatibility
How to clean the aquarium – the secrets and tricks
in just a few seconds, all algal green and brown fouling are scrubbed off the aquarium glass
To become a decoration of your home or office, the aquarium must shine clean. And the fish in such an aquarium are better, they are more active, they get sick less and live longer.
Keeping an artificial reservoir clean is not so difficult, but still there are some subtleties in this business that newcomers should be aware of. Consider the basic issues of cleaning the aquarium at home.
Planned cleaning of the aquarium with the replacement of part of the water is usually carried out once or twice a week, depending on its size, population density, the presence of vegetation.
In each case, the question of the frequency of cleaning and water changes should be decided on the basis of
- the health of the fish,
- aquarium test scores
- and, of course, the appearance of the aquarium.
If the walls are tightened with a brown-green coating, a cloud of dirt rises from the bottom at the slightest movement of the fish, then it is time to clean up, even if everything is fine with the fish.
And, conversely, in a crystal-clear aquarium, concentrations of nitrogen compounds can go off-scale and, accordingly, fish suffer. And this is also a reason for urgent cleaning.
The cleaning algorithm is usually the following:
- we clean the walls from algal plaque;
- if necessary, we clean the scenery: stones, grottoes;
- if there are plants in the aquarium, we will weed and trim them;
- ground siphon (this procedure is not always performed);
- pour out of the aquarium of the water – this can be done during the siphon or on purpose;
- if necessary, wash the filter equipment;
- Pour clean water.
Before you start cleaning the aquarium, you must turn off all electrical equipment, except for external filters.
And now about everything in more detail.
Even in the most prosperous aquarium, an algal bloom forms on the walls, which makes the glass dull and untidy. Therefore, algae must be regularly removed. This can be done with:
- scraper with a metal blade (it can be replaced with a stationery knife blade);
- magnetic scraper;
- economic washcloths.
First option – long handle scraper or, to a lesser extent, the stationery knife is convenient and well removes algae and other contaminants, but is not suitable for Plexiglas aquariums, since it can leave scratches on their walls.
Magnetic scraper indispensable for deep tanks, as well as aquariums, which are restricted from above, or plexiglas tanks. It does not scratch the walls (with the exception of those cases when a grain of sand or a small fragment of soil falls between its parts) and makes it possible not to put your hands in the water.
Minus – it is difficult for them to clean the corners of the aquarium and the lower edge of the glass near the ground.
The economic washcloth option is the most economical, but it is not suitable for plexiglass and is the least convenient, since you have to get it everywhere with your hand.
The algal bloom taken off with a scraper or washcloth is not necessary to specifically catch and clean – that if you do not have time to eat fish, we will remove it when water is drained.
Having cleaned the walls of the aquarium and weeding underwater plantations, we usually lift a lot of mud and dirt into the water. Now this dirty water needs to be drained.
This is done with a hose or aquarium siphon.
With the end of the hose or a siphon tube we drive near the bottom, starting from the most polluted places, and pour the dirty water into a bucket or basin (it’s better that they are white, then we can notice a shrimp or fish accidentally tightened in the water).
You can put the second end of the hose directly into the sewer hole, but this option is only possible for aquariums with large fish that do not exactly fall into the siphon or hose.
At one time, it usually changes from 15% to 50% of water, depending on the conditions of a particular aquarium. Matter
- filter power
- population density,
- demanding of animals to clean water
- the presence of live plants or phytofilter.
In order to find out how often and in what volume it is necessary to make replacements, it is best to use tests for nitrate – the content of this substance in the aquarium should not exceed 20-30 mg / l for undemanding fish and 5-10 mg / l for the fastidious and loving clean water. Such a concentration must be achieved with the help of substitutions.
No need to replace the water completely! This will no longer be cleaning, but restarting the aquarium.
Such a procedure is carried out only in the most extreme cases, for example, after an epidemic. It is impossible to settle the fish in the aquarium immediately after the general cleaning.
It will be necessary to give the system a few weeks to mature, as in the case of a new aquarium.
If necessary, during the routine cleaning, you can siphon the soil in order to remove excess organic contamination.
In aquariums with large fish and without live plants, it is recommended to do this at least weekly, but the more plants and the smaller the density of the fish population, the less often there is a need for this procedure.
Soil in herbalists and shrimp cooks, as a rule, do not siphon at all, so as not to damage the roots of plants, not to reduce the nutritional and biofiltration properties of the soil and not to injure small animals.
Aquarium is poured over at least 24-hour water with the same temperature as the fusion. Water is poured with a hose, bucket or watering can, depending on the size of the aquarium.
It is not poured on the ground, which can be washed with a stream, but on a saucer or, for example, a grotto.
After that, they turn on the filter and the rest of the equipment, check its operation and the health of the fish. After a while, when a small turbidity settles (and it almost inevitably arises), your aquarium will shine with purity.
Such a clean aquarium will please not only you, but also fish that will feel comfortable. And this is a guarantee of their health, longevity and lively, interesting behavior.
Video: Aquarium cleaning steps with examples.
We are preparing the aquarium to launch the fish at home
From the first minute of the appearance of the glass house, you need to know how often wall cleaning is required, as well as the correctness of the procedure. There is only one correct way of preparation, it needs to be remembered:
- Put the container “breathe” open at room temperature. This is required for the complete disappearance of the aroma of silicone. If the aquarium was purchased in winter, then it is worth leaving the dishes for the night so that the walls do not burst during cleaning.
- Regular baking soda and sponge – with their help, wash the walls outside and inside to clean the glass from any infections. Water use only warm, thorough flushing is required.
- Pour half of the desired amount of water, separated in 24 hours. Water immediately from the tap can not be poured!
- Lay out at the bottom of the “rocks”, living pebbles, “natural” caves and other interior required for convenient location of pets.
Tip! Very often, fish of a certain type require regular pebbles both on the bottom and fixed on the walls.
It is best to use a special glue that perfectly attaches the stones and does not poison the fish.
- After a full day, add all the water, retreating 5-7 cm from the edge of the aquarium.
- Run the fishes.
- If the water does not “run away”, then after 3-5 days it is drained, replacing it with a new one. Do not forget about the mandatory sludge fluid.
Tip! After changing the water for the first time for 1.5-2 months, the water is not completely changed at all!
Such a measure is necessary to create a natural biological balance. At the same time, it is necessary to frequently remove yellowed or rotted leaves of algae. But do not forget to follow the behavior of the fish – it will show how comfortable the pets are in the new environment.
Guppies are considered the best for beginners – these representatives do not require much care and quickly adapt to any conditions.
Restarting is called partial or complete replacement of plants, thorough cleaning of the walls. The procedure should be carried out only in the presence of infections, complete water pollution or if you got the “water world” from a careless owner and you need to completely clean up all the consequences of such “care.”
- Catch fish and put in a temporary shelter;
- Drain all the water, catch and rinse using baking soda or special solutions “interior” of the aquarium;
- Remove and clean soil fractions contaminated with excrement, rotten plants and other debris. This is done under a stream of water, in parts (preferably using a strainer), and with very noticeable dirt, the ground is completely changed. By the way, a good result is provided by cleaning with a siphon or a hose with a watering can at the end: open the water, run the watering can into the ground and rinse it turns out perfectly. If an infection has started in the ground, then it must be boiled in water. Usually, the soil is cleaned every 3-4 weeks;
- Washing the walls of the aquarium is the next stage of work. Glass needs to be washed completely. To do this, use a nylon sponge for washing dishes, scrapers (for removing plaque) and other improvised means. It is important not to scratch the walls of the aquarium, otherwise it is in such scratches that all the dirt will collect. Disinfection of the tank is carried out by means of boiling water, then the glass is cooled;
- Pour water on a third of the volume;
- Lay the soil and put back all the washed accessories (without plants);
- Let the water stand for about a week and you can plant plants that have survived in normal form, supplementing with new algae;
- Another 3-4 days and you can run the fish, topping up with water to the desired volume.
It takes time and some money to complete a full cleaning of the aquarium, but this is not all: before filling the tank with fish, it is necessary to conduct water samples.