maintenance, care, compatibility
In order to understand how many times a day it is necessary to feed aquarium fish, it is necessary to understand the peculiarities of their nutrition in their natural habitat. All types of fish borrowed from their natural ancestors taste preferences and diet.
What do all the fish usually eat?
- Herbivores – these fish have a long digestive system, which indicates the habit of often eating small portions. In their natural habitat, they eat algae, plants, fruits, and seeds.
- Carnivores – have a large stomach, so they eat a lot, but not as often as herbivores. In nature, these fish eat dead animals, small fish, insects, invertebrates, birds, amphibians.
- Omnivorous – the diet of these fish several times a day, they prefer both vegetable and protein foods.
See how to make vegetable food for aquarium fish.
According to the diet and diet, their aquarium fish need to be given such food that suits them. Typically, domestic fish fed live, frozen, dry, vegetable food, which is sold in stores.
It is important that food be varied and rich in healthy vitamins and minerals.
Live food should be given to carnivorous and omnivorous fish. It is a bloodworm, a pipe worker, a daphnia, a coretera, an infusorium, rotifers, and gammarus.
They must be stored in the freezer, they quickly deteriorate. Fish fry need to be grown on live food, due to protein, they become resistant to diseases. Also, as a live feed, small fishes are served with veal, minced fish, chicken meat, liver, invertebrate meat, chicken eggs.
Vegetable food is necessary for herbivorous and omnivorous fish – these can be vegetables, fruits, algae, plants, cereal porridge.
Once a week, the fish are satisfied with a fasting day, or a mini-hunger strike. It cleans the intestines, eliminates the effects of overeating, helps to heal sick fish.
In the natural environment, fish can live without food for a long time, so a one-day hunger strike will not harm them.
To feed the fish you need so that they do not overeat, and were full of food. Diet depends on the age of the pet and the characteristics of its digestive system. Adults usually eat 2 times a day, which is enough for them.
Youngsters aged 1-2 months should eat 4 times a day. And fry up to one month old need to be fed every 3-6 hours.
During the spawning period, the fish should be given less food, sometimes not feeding the first few days after breeding. Two weeks before spawning, producers, on the contrary, should correctly produce more live food.
No matter how many fish you keep, you need to give them all the food at the same time. Begin in the morning, an hour after turning on the lights.
The last feeding should occur 2 hours before the lighting is turned off. The question of novice aquarists is how much food to give, and how often?
Give us enough food so that they can eat it in 5 minutes. Do not feed often, but in small portions, so that they completely swallow them.
Unfinished leftovers can be removed with a net to avoid rotting.
Feed pellets depend on the age and size of the fish. Juveniles should eat food that does not exceed the size of their eyes. Dry food in the form of granules, flakes and tablets is recommended to be ground to dust.
Adult fish like to grab larger particles of food, they do not eat dust. In order for all the inhabitants of the household water body to be satisfied with feeding, install special feeders for dry and live food in the tank.
Of these, food is not frayed, and pets can eat it calmly.
See how to properly feed dry fish aquarium fish.
There are general feeding rules for all fish that need to be followed constantly:
- Properly feed the fish with the food that is right for them, consider the physiological characteristics of all species living in the general aquarium.
- Do not overfeed your pets – give food not too often, in small portions.
- For aquarium fish, the best nutrition is a variety of foods.
- No matter how much food you put in the tank, remove the remnants of it after the meal.
- The number of meals should correspond to the size and age of the fish.
- Do not feed the fish immediately after turning on the light, or before bedtime.
- In the diet of aquarium fish should be natural food, and not just artificial, purchased.
How many times a week should a fish eat, and what portion of nutrients does it need to receive from food? It all depends on individual calculations. Carnivorous and omnivorous fish can be fed according to this scheme:
- The first day of the week – dry food of the first type (chips or pellets) once a day.
- The second – dry food of the second type, 1 time per day.
- The third – live food (for example, artemia or bloodworms), 1 time per day.
- The fourth – dry food of the first type, 2 times a day.
- Fifth – dry or vegetable food, 2 times a day.
- The sixth is live food (the pipe-worker, daphnia) and vegetable food.
- The seventh – unloading diet.
Feeding in an aquarium can be made differently, and you can make your own scheme. Be sure to alternate between dry, live and vegetable food.
If the fish is herbivorous, it should eat only vegetable and dry food (spirulina tablets). Do not forget about the vitamins that should receive a pet for a full life.
If you buy food of famous brands, look at the composition, it indicates all the trace elements and vitamins that the fish will receive after eating.
- Vitamin A is needed for cell division, in particular in fry and young. Lack of this component can cause growth retardation, curvature of the spine and deformation of the fins, and constant stress.
- Vitamin E – plays an important role in the development of the reproductive system.
- Vitamin D3 is essential for the development and growth of the skeletal system.
- Vitamins of group B (thiamine – B1, riboflavin – B2, cyanocobalamin – B12) are necessary for the normalization of metabolic processes in the body.
- Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is involved in the formation of bone system and teeth, strengthens the immune system, improves metabolism.
- Vitamin H (biotin) – is required for proper cell formation.
- Vitamin K is a fat-soluble vitamin, it is required for the synthesis of proteins, provides blood clotting.
- Vitamin M (B9, folic acid) – develops the immune system, the circulatory system. Improves scales color.
- Vitamin B4 (choline) – required for fish growth, synthesizes the amount of sugar in the blood.
In their natural environment, fish spend a lot of time searching for food. Predators hunt small relatives, medium-sized omnivores feed on insect larvae, algae and caviar of other fish.
Whatever the fish eats – in its native element, it will always find suitable food for itself to survive and give birth to.
It is quite another thing – fish contained in captivity. Here, in the matter of food they can only rely on people.
In aquarium conditions, fish entirely depend on the person – on the responsibility and the observation of its owner.
So how to feed aquarium fish? In fact, an unequivocal answer to this question is impossible.
The only obvious thing is that the feed should be diverse and balanced. It is best to alternate several types of food.
If you buy ready-made dry mixes in the form of “chips”, granules or tablets – this is an excellent and useful delicacy for your fish.
Manufacturers of such dry mixes take into account all the characteristics of the body of fish, and this ready-made food always contains the right amount of proteins, carbohydrates and vitamins necessary for the full activity of aquarium inhabitants. But do not neglect the natural food – let’s bloodworm, daphnia, Cyclops, carriage, crustaceans, etc.
Of course, each family of fish needs to choose an individual food. Make sure that the size of the feed is not too large. If the fish cannot swallow the flakes, they will remain hungry.
Some species of fish live directly at the water’s mirror, therefore, the food for them must remain at the surface. If the fish spends most of the time in the lower layers of the aquarium, they need food in tablets, which quickly sink to the bottom.
No less important is the question of how many times to feed aquarium fish.
Malki need a lot of energy and strength to grow. Therefore, they need to feed at least three to four times a day. Adult fish, as a rule, are fed in the morning and in the evening, but for some large breeds of predators it is enough one time.
Once a week you can (and even need) arrange a fasting day.
Remember that round tummy is characteristic only for young individuals, and in adults it is a sign of overeating.
As for the number of servings, try to give exactly as much as the fish is able to eat in 15 minutes. Residues of food should not settle and clog the water in the aquarium, so it is better to clean them and not leave overnight.
Fish, like cats, dogs and other pets, need a varied and sufficient diet. When planting water inhabitants, it would not be superfluous to ask how many times you need to feed the fish in the aquarium, at what time it is best to do it and in what portions to fill the food.
Feeding can be one-time, but it is more preferable to feed them twice. At the same time, morning feeding should be carried out at least 15 minutes after switching on the lighting, and evening feeding – 2-3 hours before bedtime.
For night dwellers (catfish, agamix, etc.) feeding is carried out at dusk, when the light is extinguished, and the rest of the inhabitants of the aquarium sleep.
The duration of each feeding should not exceed 3-5 minutes. This is more than enough for the fish to eat, but not to eat, and the food does not sink to the bottom.
In general, the rule works with fish – underfeeding is better than overfeeding.
The daily feed rate is calculated approximately as 5% by weight of the fish. If, after saturation, the feed continues to float and settle to the bottom of the aquarium, it should be caught with a net to prevent its rotting.
Once a week for fish you can arrange a hungry day. Obesity of fish leads to their death much more often than malnutrition.
Because you never need to give fish food above the norm. In addition, hunger has a positive effect on sexual activity and on the restorative ability of fish.
As already mentioned, food for fish should be varied. Therefore, it will not be superfluous to know how many times to feed aquarium fish with live food. An approximate weekly diet of aquarium fish may look like this:
- Monday – dry food;
- Tuesday – dry food;
- Wednesday – live food, bloodworm, artemia;
- Thursday – dry food;
- Friday – dry food;
- Saturday – live food + duckweed;
- Sunday is a hungry day.
Proper and rational nutrition of fish – a guarantee of health and longevity, not only adults, but also future offspring. Let’s talk a little about nutrition, volume and feeding regimes.
What feed is better to use, whether it is possible to give pets homemade or still better purchased.
It’s no secret that nutrition is one of the most important components of life. From its quality, quantity and composition depends on how long and happy will be the life of an organism. Such arguments are valid for aquarium fish too.
If you do not want your small water-loving pets to be stunted and constantly sick, you need to feed them with the right food that suits them. Also, do not forget about the balance of proteins, micro and macronutrients, fats and carbohydrates.
Much has already been said about feeding rules. However, it is necessary to combine them into one section for the convenience of readers.
Basic feeding rules:
- feed the appropriate food for this type of fish;
- do not overfeed;
- give a variety of products;
- clean up the rest of the feed net;
- the number of feedings should be commensurate with age;
- do not feed at bedtime;
- The presence of natural food in the diet is required.
When starting any living creature at home, it is important to always remember that it is not only joy, but also a great responsibility. Without proper care, any living thing will not live long. Not an exception and fish.
Therefore, watching your diet, do not forget about little friends. And then they will delight you with their beauty and playful mood for a very long time.
Video from professional aquarists about proper feeding of fish: