maintenance, care, compatibility
- Buy a wide aquarium. Make sure that there is enough space for the pet in the tank. For a voile-tailed goldfish, approximately 45-90 liter aquarium is needed. The goldfish grows fairly quickly, and if you plan to provide it with proper care, buy a tank in which already mature individuals will fit, which will save you later from replacing the reservoir with a more spacious one.
Look at the well-designed goldfish aquarium.
Watch a video about goldfish content.
The capacity of an aquarium for a goldfish must be at least 50 liters. In such an aquarium, you can settle up to 6 individuals, it is dangerous to settle more – they most likely will not survive due to excessive pollution. You can share your neighbors with goldfish.
It may well get along with them scalar, catfish. Before you start an aquarium, familiarize yourself with all possible diseases of goldfish.
Knowing the symptoms will help you quickly recognize the disease and save the fish. Here are some basic rules for keeping a goldfish in an aquarium:
- Do not skimp on the “living space”. For a goldfish you need a large aquarium. This is more convenient, it is easier to maintain biobalance.
- Buying the right filter. You need to choose an aquarium filter with the ability to pump air. A goldfish needs oxygen-rich water.
- The ideal bottom for keeping fish is gravel. It contains beneficial bacteria. These bacteria consume ammonia and thus lower its level in water. Try to choose coarse gravel, small fish can eat.
- Do not rush to populate a new aquarium. Let the biobalance settle in it. You can run snails and catfish there for a while. They a little “pollute” the aquarium, then the water will be suitable for running the fish.
- Periodically check the following water tests: pH level (it should be 7-8), ammonium level, nitrites and nitrates (up to 40 is considered normal).
- Place a thermometer. Goldfish belongs to tropical species. In cold water, it simply will not survive. The ideal water temperature for goldfish is 21 ° C.
- Change water regularly. For an aquarium of 5-10 liters, it is enough to change 20-30% of water. Doing this is enough once or twice a week. In the new water, you can add a special conditioner. Complete replacement of water can disrupt the biobalance and harm the inhabitants of the aquarium.
We treat a golden fish with special trepidation and tenderness, remembering the well-known fairy tale from childhood. Perhaps that is why it is presented as a gift for birthdays, festive dates, packed in transparent bags, in live wall panels or crystal glasses, forgetting that it is a living creature. Meanwhile, goldfish cares good loves, it needs special conditions for the content.
This is a very common and many favorite type of aquarium fish, characterized by bright decorative and large size. It was removed in China, where even in the Middle Ages it was decorated with open artificial reservoirs in the gardens of Chinese emperors and nobles.
Until now, there is a special relationship to the goldfish in this country, it is decorated with porcelain dishes, decorative mosaic panels, silk fabrics, etc.
In China, the main representatives of the goldfish species were derived: voiletails, fantails, black, Chinese and calico telescopes, red cap, pearl, red lionhead, etc. The golden-red, bright orange, velvety-black species of this ornamental fish are really an amazing decoration of aquariums.
Content of goldfish in an aquarium
The first thing you need to know when acquiring a gold house is that it needs a sufficiently large spacious aquarium. Experienced aquarists believe that for a comfortable dwelling of one individual, it takes about 40 liters of water.
Here we must also take into account that this fish grows to a rather impressive size. Therefore, for the maintenance of several fish, you will need an aquarium that is at least 100 liters in size.
In large aquariums, moreover, it is easier to maintain a biological environment useful for its inhabitants, it is necessary to change the water less frequently, and the level of contamination in a large aquarium is much lower, which is important for keeping large aquarium fish.
After acquiring the right size of the aquarium, it is necessary to fill in the soil and fill it with water. For goldfish, the soil in the form of small pebbles is the most suitable, but its fraction should not be too small, otherwise the fish may swallow a pebble.
After the aquarium is filled with water, install the equipment. For a goldfish, oxygen dissolved in water is needed, so it is very important to install not only a water filter, but also a compressor that pumps air.
Fishes are launched into the aquarium in a few days, letting the water draw in, saturated with oxygen. Snails can be launched into the aquarium beforehand to create the necessary bio-environment in the water.
Goldfish care good loves and appreciate caring for her. In good conditions, these ornamental fish grow large and become amazingly beautiful.
It is very important to feed the goldfish correctly. There is a special food for this type of aquarium fish.
You can vary the diet by adding small pieces of boiled egg to the aquarium, but at the same time make sure that the fish eat everything up. The main thing in the diet – to comply with the measure and not to overfeed the fish, remembering that the goldfish – glutton.
In order to correctly determine the amount of feed, it is necessary to observe for three minutes during feeding how much fish are eaten, and at subsequent feedings give them exactly the same amount.
Goldfish prefers warm water. The temperature of the water in the aquarium should not be below 23 degrees.
To determine the temperature of the water, you need a thermometer, which is lowered to the bottom of the aquarium. Of course, you need to monitor the cleanliness of the water, collect the remains of fish from the bottom, and at least once a week do water replacement by one third of the volume of the aquarium.
Goldfish care so appreciate.
How to determine the sex of a goldfish
In the conditions of a home aquarium, you can successfully breed goldfish. It is easy to determine the sex of goldfish, just look carefully at the gill covers.
In males, they are covered with small white dots, similar to semolina, while females do not have such points.
Let’s take a closer look at how to keep your live “gold” in the aquarium.
Proper maintenance of goldfish in an aquarium begins with good soil. As mentioned above, suitable pebbles, coarse sand and a fraction of gravel, the size of 3-5 millimeters. True, the fish love to sort through the faction in the mouth, so there is a risk that the fish will choke.
So the fraction should be very small or, on the contrary, very large. Do not forget to install a filter that provides cleaning the soil.
When the content of goldfish there is one major problem – the pollution of the aquarium. Not only do the fishes pretend to be mole-diggers, they also have to get rid of waste.
As a result, the water is polluted and, in order to avoid a bad end, you need a quality internal filter.
It is advisable to install an external filter to ensure biofiltration. Although this condition is not mandatory, but the external filter will help save space in the aquarium for your fish, and it should be cleaned less often.
When buying a filter (both internal and external), pay attention to the performance – it should be at least three or four volumes of the aquarium per hour.
You also need a heater to keep the temperature within 22-25 C. However, with heating you should not be zealous, otherwise you will do your pet a disservice – in warm water the fish age very quickly.
For the safe keeping of goldfish, a compressor is needed, otherwise they will experience oxygen starvation, because this species needs a lot of oxygen in the water.
And finally, the last important element – the UV sterilizer, which will destroy the parasites. We will talk about illnesses a bit later.
Finished with the technical equipment of the aquarium, move on to the plants. Fish will live well in an aquarium in which live plants grow. Plants are beneficial for at least three reasons:
- They improve the ecological situation in the aquatic environment.
- Help fight algae.
- They are an excellent “supplement” to the diet of your goldfish – dilute their diet and supply them with beneficial vitamins.
However, some fish owners are afraid that the bitten plants will spoil the picture in the aquarium, make it a kind of post-apocalyptic place. Such people may be advised to plant lemongrass, anubias, echinodorus or any other plant with hard leaves.
A double effect will be achieved – and your pets are well, and the ecological situation does not cause concern.
How to care for goldfish :: how to care for aquarium fish :: Aquarium fish
Chinese and Japanese breeders developed several famous species of goldfish. Some people think that it is very easy to care for them, because of their great popularity.
Sometimes a person can simply give a goldfish for some merit or simply as an innocent gift, which will inevitably make a person think about how to care for goldfish so that they can live well in his aquarium.
The question “opened a pet store. Business is not going. What to do? “- 2 answers
It should be said that in cases where the fish do not receive proper care, it dies rather quickly. Sometimes she lives only three or four days. To ensure proper care for goldfish, you must take into account what your aquarium, as well as know what to do with water before you run it into it.
It is also important to decide what to feed the animal. If we talk about the choice of the required aquarium, it is worth saying that in small aquariums these fish die. The larger the fish itself or the greater the number, the larger the volume of the glass dwelling should be.
Also, future owners should know that water must be enriched with oxygen. The important point is the choice of “content” of the aquarium.
For example, you need to put gravel on the bottom, because bacteria live on it, which absorb ammonia and its level decreases in water. Regarding the temperature that must be maintained to contain a goldfish, it should not be less than or more than 21 degrees.
In order to contain one goldfish you need:
Aquarium filter, with the ability to pump air – 1pc.
Somiki – 2 individuals
Special food for goldfish
Literature on the content of goldfish
1. Install the aquarium in a suitable place in your home or apartment.
2. Lay on the bottom of the aquarium gravel medium size.
3. Install a filter that pumps air.
4. Install a special thermometer.
5. Fill the aquarium with clean water.
6. Run into the aquarium snails and catfish.
7. Wait a few days or even a week.
8. Make sure the temperature in the aquarium is 21 degrees.
9. Run the goldfish.
10. Control how much a fish eats food at a time.
11. Never overfeed a goldfish!
12. Never use small aquariums for keeping a goldfish.
How to contain goldfish
How to keep a goldfish in a round aquarium :: how to care for a round aquarium :: Aquarium fish
The popularity of round aquariums and goldfish is due to two main factors – goldfish are among the most hardy and unpretentious aquatic inhabitants, and round aquariums are in harmony with any interior and are easy to clean. However, despite such advantages, there are several important rules that concern the content of fish in such tanks.
The question “opened a pet store. Business is not going. What to do? “- 2 answers
Goldfish are considered one of the hardiest inhabitants of aquariums. They are able to withstand fairly significant cooling of water or its heating. It is recommended to equip aquariums with special devices for temperature control, but goldfish can simply change the water more often and provide the necessary care.
In their natural environment, goldfish can survive even in icy water. They are among the most enduring aquatic creatures.
In an aquarium with a goldfish any aquatic plants must be present. Just a few twigs are enough.
At the bottom of the vessel, you can pour gravel or place decorative balls that will turn a round aquarium into a kind of designer decoration of an apartment or office. Sand in this case is not recommended.
In a round aquarium, a small area, and dust can instantly pollute the water and make it detrimental to a goldfish.
It is very important to provide the aquatics with sufficient light. It is better to put aquariums in well-lit places or use additional devices.
Due to lack of sunlight, the goldfish may die.
Keep in a round aquarium a few goldfish is not worth it. The calculation of the required area should be made in accordance with the proportion – 1 cm of the body length of the fish per 3 liters of water.
Otherwise, the inhabitants of the vessel simply do not have enough oxygen for normal life.
Keeping a goldfish in an almost empty aquarium is not recommended. The fact is that with a minimum amount of vegetation, the walls of such a vessel create the effect of a lens.
A fish in such an atmosphere will be in constant fear, which will lead to serious consequences from stress. Quite often you can see completely empty aquariums with goldfish. However, it is better not to create such conditions for a pet.
Fish vegetation is a supplement to the main food and source of vitamins.
In a round aquarium, you must create the most comfortable conditions for its inhabitants. To do this, you will need a small lighting system, a compressor for water treatment and a special heater. For round aquariums, special compact equipment is produced, which does not take up much space and does not spoil the appearance of the original vessel.
Quite often, for example, you can find round aquariums with special lids in which all the necessary systems are mounted.
Mollies content feeding compatibility spawning care description
Here are the most popular types of mollies: black mollies (lira-molly), Velifer mollies, sailing mollies, sailing mollies. Silver mollies (also called snowflake mollies) is a selection form of sailing mollies.
Keep them better in groups or in pairs.
This fish lives mainly in the upper and middle layer of water, loves the water space and light.
The light day of mollies should be at least 12-13 hours. It is useful for fish, if at least a couple of hours a day lighting is natural, but if there is no possibility, then you can do without it.
Of course, she also needs natural shelters: thickets of plants, snags, decorative ornaments that can serve as a refuge.
Mollies feed on all types of dry and live food.
The only condition that helps to maintain the activity and health of these fish is that they definitely need plant fiber.
Therefore, along with others, use vegetarian feed, plant in the aquarium plants with soft leaves, which the fish can eat. You can also feed them in small portions of chopped boiled vegetables.
Another important point in the content of mollies: at home, they live where the river water mixes with the sea water, and therefore they like hard water. If you only have mollies and placilia in your indoor pond, you can even add some salt to the water on purpose.
If other fish also live with them, then of course you should not do this. But in the case of illness or quarantine, the fish can be deposited in an aquarium with salted water – so it will come back to normal faster.
The name “molliesia” originated from the genus name – Mollienesia. The natural range of these fish is fresh and slightly saline waters of Central America. Wide mop mollies live mainly in reservoirs with standing waters or small currents in southeastern North America.
The natural color of these fish is very colorful, mostly dominated by yellow-gray and spotted species.
For the first time these fish appeared in Europe more than 150 years ago, it was the spotted mollies that became the favorites of aquarists. Then, the popularity of the hybrid form, which acquired the name black mollies, gained popularity.
Black mollies were obtained as a result of breeding in the United States, and in the early forties of the last century they were bred in the territory of the Soviet Union.
In the sixties, it became fashionable to keep other mollies – the lira mollies. Which, in turn, were also bred by selection, as well as fish with a short disk-like body.
At first glance, domesticated mollies resemble swordtails. But mollies have wider tail fins and more dorsal fins. The females of these fish are slightly larger than the males.
With good care and favorable conditions, females grow up to 8 cm, and males up to 6 cm. Wild representatives of this species are one and a half times larger.
In addition, the fish living in the wild have a somewhat oblong and more rounded body, they are somewhat reminiscent of the placium.
Even an inexperienced eye can distinguish females and males; the males have a long process at the anal fin – gonopodiums.
Mollies are viviparous fishes, they are loved for a magnificent and bright color. For example, in sailing fish of this species of extraordinary beauty, a gray body with an olive sheen, on which, like a brush, transverse stripes and nacre specks form dark points.
Round aquarium – design care design photo video.
The round-shaped aquarium and the goldfish floating in it is a constant attribute of the interior of a small apartment from the last century. But the size of the vessel and its shape impose a lot of unpleasant restrictions on the process of keeping the fish.
For example, it will be extremely difficult to place special equipment in it, so people do without it. And the cons of the vessel are too obvious:
- The standard diameter of the aquarium is about 25 cm with a volume of 15 liters. In such dishes can not put a filter and water can quickly become dirty. In order to solve this problem, you will have to change the water every day. This procedure causes stress in fish, and its implementation is rather troublesome;
- the area of the water surface is small due to the narrowing of the capacity upwards. This leads to a decrease in the amount of oxygen dissolved in water and the appearance of oxygen starvation in fish;
- small volume and lack of space for the heater leads to a significant fluctuation of temperatures, and this in turn causes stress in the fish;
- the size of the vessel does not allow to put in it plants and shelters for fish, which would allow them to feel safe;
- also, a small volume makes it impossible to place in the tank more than three small fish that would not be comfortable in such conditions;
- because of the curved walls, the free movement of the fish will be impossible. And because of the refraction of light and shadows in them, there will be an illusion of constant extraneous movement outside the vessel, which will also become an additional reason for stress.
- Due to these factors and many other stresses, the immunity can be significantly reduced, diseases can occur and even the death of fish that will be placed in a small aquarium. After all, a vessel containing less than fifteen liters is absolutely not suitable for the maintenance of living beings. And such a goldfish common among lovers needs a minimum of fifty liters of water. Some countries, including Austria and Germany, have banned the use of round aquariums, and the fact of keeping fish in them may fall under the article KK “Cruel treatment of animals”.
- Therefore, before you buy a round-shaped aquarium, you should think twice. After all, few people will want to deliberately torture the unfortunate fish in a tiny vase. Yes, and the very content of this punishment cell clean every day will require a serious investment of effort and time. So it would be wiser to save more money and get a good rectangular copy with a volume of at least 160 liters. In this vessel, in addition to fish, you can place beautiful underwater plants, various decorations and equipment necessary for the maintenance of aquatic inhabitants.
The specific shape and small volume do not allow creating thematic landscapes with large-scale decoration in the form of fragments of a ship or ruins of a castle. However, when designing a round aquarium, you can use other design techniques.
For example, among the stones you can place a miniature model of a chest from a pirate ship.
Or lay out a few fragments of ethnic pottery. The main principle on which the decor of the aquarium space of this form is based is minimalism.
Otherwise, for all the elements you will not be able to see the underwater inhabitants.
The cover for a round aquarium performs several functions: it prevents fish from jumping out, getting into non-typical objects, protects animals from children and cats, and also serves as a place for mounting the backlight. Therefore, it is better to purchase an aquarium immediately with a lid than to search for the desired model. The cover for a round aquarium can be purchased only in specialized stores.
It is more difficult to find a cover only for a semicircular aquarium.