maintenance, care, compatibility
How to keep a goldfish in a round aquarium :: how to care for a round aquarium :: Aquarium fish
The popularity of round aquariums and goldfish is due to two main factors – goldfish are among the most hardy and unpretentious aquatic inhabitants, and round aquariums are in harmony with any interior and are easy to clean. However, despite such advantages, there are several important rules that concern the content of fish in such tanks.
The question “opened a pet store. Business is not going. What to do? “- 2 answers
Goldfish are considered one of the hardiest inhabitants of aquariums. They are able to withstand fairly significant cooling of water or its heating. It is recommended to equip aquariums with special devices for temperature control, but goldfish can simply change the water more often and provide the necessary care.
In their natural environment, goldfish can survive even in icy water. They are among the most enduring aquatic creatures.
In an aquarium with a goldfish any aquatic plants must be present. Just a few twigs are enough.
At the bottom of the vessel, you can pour gravel or place decorative balls that will turn a round aquarium into a kind of designer decoration of an apartment or office. Sand in this case is not recommended.
In a round aquarium, a small area, and dust can instantly pollute the water and make it detrimental to a goldfish.
It is very important to provide the aquatics with sufficient light. It is better to put aquariums in well-lit places or use additional devices.
Due to lack of sunlight, the goldfish may die.
Keep in a round aquarium a few goldfish is not worth it. The calculation of the required area should be made in accordance with the proportion – 1 cm of the body length of the fish per 3 liters of water.
Otherwise, the inhabitants of the vessel simply do not have enough oxygen for normal life.
Keeping a goldfish in an almost empty aquarium is not recommended. The fact is that with a minimum amount of vegetation, the walls of such a vessel create the effect of a lens. A fish in such an atmosphere will be in constant fear, which will lead to serious consequences from stress.
Quite often you can see completely empty aquariums with goldfish. However, it is better not to create such conditions for a pet.
Fish vegetation is a supplement to the main food and source of vitamins.
In a round aquarium, you must create the most comfortable conditions for its inhabitants. To do this, you will need a small lighting system, a compressor for water treatment and a special heater. For round aquariums, special compact equipment is produced, which does not take up much space and does not spoil the appearance of the original vessel.
Quite often, for example, you can find round aquariums with special lids in which all the necessary systems are mounted.
Round aquarium – design care design photo video.
- Feeding the fish should be carried out twice a day, flaky or granulated feed. Goldfish can still eat frozen, live, vegetable, artificial foods. Very much like peeled peas, which is useful for digestion. Vegetable food (cucumbers, zucchini, salads) finely chop to make it easy to swallow. Overfeeding pets should not be – it is dangerous to health.
The round-shaped aquarium and the goldfish floating in it is a constant attribute of the interior of a small apartment from the last century. But the size of the vessel and its shape impose a lot of unpleasant restrictions on the process of keeping the fish.
For example, it will be extremely difficult to place special equipment in it, so people do without it. And the cons of the vessel are too obvious:
- The standard diameter of the aquarium is about 25 cm with a volume of 15 liters. In such dishes can not put a filter and water can quickly become dirty. In order to solve this problem, you will have to change the water every day. This procedure causes stress in fish, and its implementation is rather troublesome;
- the area of the water surface is small due to the narrowing of the capacity upwards. This leads to a decrease in the amount of oxygen dissolved in water and the appearance of oxygen starvation in fish;
- small volume and lack of space for the heater leads to a significant fluctuation of temperatures, and this in turn causes stress in the fish;
- the size of the vessel does not allow to put in it plants and shelters for fish, which would allow them to feel safe;
- also, a small volume makes it impossible to place in the tank more than three small fish that would not be comfortable in such conditions;
- because of the curved walls, the free movement of the fish will be impossible. And because of the refraction of light and shadows in them, there will be an illusion of constant extraneous movement outside the vessel, which will also become an additional reason for stress.
- Due to these factors and many other stresses, the immunity can be significantly reduced, diseases can occur and even the death of fish that will be placed in a small aquarium. After all, a vessel containing less than fifteen liters is absolutely not suitable for the maintenance of living beings. And such a goldfish common among lovers needs a minimum of fifty liters of water. Some countries, including Austria and Germany, have banned the use of round aquariums, and the fact of keeping fish in them may fall under the article KK “Cruel treatment of animals”.
- Therefore, before you buy a round-shaped aquarium, you should think twice. After all, few people will want to deliberately torture the unfortunate fish in a tiny vase. Yes, and the very content of this punishment cell clean every day will require a serious investment of effort and time. So it would be wiser to save more money and get a good rectangular copy with a volume of at least 160 liters. In this vessel, in addition to fish, you can place beautiful underwater plants, various decorations and equipment necessary for the maintenance of aquatic inhabitants.
The specific shape and small volume do not allow creating thematic landscapes with large-scale decoration in the form of fragments of a ship or ruins of a castle. However, when designing a round aquarium, you can use other design techniques.
For example, among the stones you can place a miniature model of a chest from a pirate ship.
Or lay out a few fragments of ethnic pottery. The main principle on which the decor of the aquarium space of this form is based is minimalism.
Otherwise, for all the elements you will not be able to see the underwater inhabitants.
The cover for a round aquarium performs several functions: it prevents fish from jumping out, getting into non-typical objects, protects animals from children and cats, and also serves as a place for mounting the backlight. Therefore, it is better to purchase an aquarium immediately with a lid than to search for the desired model. The cover for a round aquarium can be purchased only in specialized stores.
It is more difficult to find a cover only for a semicircular aquarium.
The content of most species of fish in such a capacity will have to be abandoned: sensitive fish will quickly die from stress, large (goldfish, cichlids) and fast-swimming (barbs, tandems, neons) will not have enough space here, and bottom (baty, catfish) will not have a bottom area because the lower part of the round aquarium is very narrow.
Cockerel fighting fish and small viviparous fish – guppies, mollies, petilia can live in a glass ball. Their life will not be comfortable, but due to their simplicity and resistance to stress, they adapt to the spherical capacity.
Shrimps, snails and small water plants feel quite well in round aquariums.
As for plants, it is better to choose live in a round aquarium, since in the absence of equipment they will be a source of oxygen. For example, many fish, including molines will die without living algae.
Artificial plants have their advantages: they do not need special care, so they stay beautiful longer; it is easier to lay eggs on them when spawning. Therefore, a pair of artificial branches in a round aquarium does not hurt.
Here are the plants that can be purchased for a round aquarium: elodey, piste, cryptocoryn, nyas, rovolnik, valisneriya spiral.
The third stage in the “habitability” of a round aquarium is its design. Equipment for the aquarium as much as possible to hide the plants.
Pebbles also need to pick wisely. It must be remembered that in the round aquarium all the details look more convex.
Therefore, any, even the smallest defect will immediately be noticeable.
In specialized stores you can buy a special color primer. If your aquarium is large, you can put a snag or artificial house on the bottom.
In a round container, light is refracted peculiar. According to the widespread opinion among aquarists, not all fish are able to survive in such conditions. Firstly, living beings may experience stress due to distortions of the surrounding reality, and secondly, it shortens the lifespan for nerve fish.
Although the main limiter is the amount of space. Fish for a round aquarium fit only small size.
Be sure to put here a little catfish, so that it clears the glass from green scurf. Neons, males, and lilies will feel great in the water. Small-sized goldfish grow badly and often get sick.
The number of small fish should be maintained at the same level.
Before you run neons here, you must make calculations: the number is determined by the volume of the aquarium. Overpopulation will immediately affect the health of the fish and the general appearance of the artificial reservoir.
The power of equipment for the aquarium is selected in accordance with the requests of a particular group of fish. It is better if the fish for a round aquarium will be bright, visible.
For example, some species of guppy.
Goldfish are excellent pets for beginning aquarists, whose care is simple and interesting. The maintenance of this type of fish in the home has become available hundreds of years ago, this is one of the first ornamental fish that was settled in a glass tank.
In China, they were kept in porcelain bowls, today unique aquascapes are created with the similarity of a natural biotope so that pets can live comfortably. How to properly care for them in the aquarium to extend their joy of life?