maintenance, care, compatibility
Suitable for a particular type of fish, special purposes (color enhancement, proper fry growth, spawning period, etc.) or non-standard housing conditions (for example, during the absence of hosts for several days).
- Feed to enhance the saturation of the color – good for improving the appearance of brightly colored fish. Usually the results of the use of such feed appear after 10-15 days. The composition includes special substances – carotenoids, – positively affecting the brightness of the color (especially red, yellow and orange hues). Available on sale is Tetra Rubin, Sera San.
- Feed for herbivorous fish – have an enhanced plant component (usually algae). Fiber is important for the diet of many fish, this kind of food is especially necessary if there is a lack of algae or tender plants in your tank. On sale you can find, for example, Sera GranuGreen – for herbivorous cichlids.
- Fodder for different types of fish – fighting, discus or some breeds of tsikhlovyh require a special diet. For them, they produce their own varieties of feed, made according to the size and needs of the fish. In stores you can find cichl food from Tetra – Cichlid Sticks (in the form of sticks), Sera Cichlids Sticks and Sera Granuar, for cockerels – Sera Bettagran, Tetra Goldfish Food and Sera Goldy- for goldfish and many others.
- There are also feeds designed to provide the fish with a complete diet during the absence of the owners, without overfeeding them. They come in different shapes (for example, sticks from Tetra Weekend), but, as a rule, they are hard and dense, soaking for a long time, with a reduced fat content. Usually it does not require an exact calculation of how much to give such feed.
Aquarium pets can live on artificial food. But no matter how good the dry feeds are, the living, natural components of the diet are simply necessary for the fish, especially the predatory ones. By its nutritional value, live food is better than artificial, it has no analogues.
Such nutrition is most appropriate for fish. It is an ideal food for predators recovering or spawning fish.
However, for all its merits, live food has a couple of serious drawbacks. Firstly, it is inconvenient and short-term storage, and, therefore, food must be purchased often and in small portions. The possibility of acquisition is not always.
Therefore, if you are counting how much live food to buy for you, proceed from the number of fish and their appetite.
But most importantly, live or frozen food is always a risk to introduce into the aquarium any infection. Such food should be bought only from trusted vendors, and before giving the fish, thoroughly rinse.
- Bloodworm – the most popular and useful live food, suitable for all types of ornamental fish and all kinds of love. Suitable for bottom fish. A live bloodworm looks like a stirring mass of bright red color. It is mined in country reservoirs and canals with a small current. It is important that the water where the bloodworm is mined is not contaminated with toxic chemicals – this will necessarily affect the fish. Therefore, buying food is only from a trusted seller. For several days, the bloodworm can be stored in a cool place by placing it in a container with a damp cloth and periodically rinsing with cool water. Longer storage periods require freezing.
- Tubber – looks like clumps of brownish color, consisting of long thin worms. A pipe maker can live quite a long time – a few weeks. This is a fatty food, it is important not to overfeed her fish. Good for bottom fish. The tubule is mined in sewers, so it can have an unpleasant odor. In addition, this type of food tends to accumulate harmful substances – it is important to know where it is obtained. The straw tube is stored in a flat closed container, at a temperature not higher than 10 degrees, adding water to the bottom of the tank and rinsing twice a day. It can be dried and frozen, but usually this is not required.
- Crustaceans – daphnia, cyclops, artemia (“live dust”). Wonderful food, small and nutritious, indispensable for feeding fry, suitable for feeding every day, enhancing the brightness of the color of ornamental fish, but not suitable for all bottom fish. Live crustaceans are harvested in the warm season, sold in water. They should be stored in containers with water – while the concentration of live food in the tank should not be very large. If the crustaceans are cramped, they will suffocate. Before feeding the fish, the crustaceans are washed in a tight net. Unfortunately, alive these creatures can be obtained only in summer, and storage is possible only in a dry form. In the cold period there is no sale of live daphnia.
Applying live food, do not forget a few important rules:
- If you keep food frozen, it is better to defrost the needed portion before feeding, otherwise the fish may injure your stomach.
- If the bloodworm or tubule is too large for your fish (small, young or fry), they need to be cut with a razor, but you must bleed it before you enter the aquarium, otherwise you will provoke a bacteriological explosion in the water.
Of course, it would be useful to feed the fish, especially fry, with live food every day, but not all aquarists can afford to do this often. And pets spoiled with natural food are then hard trained to artificial food.
One of the most important question for any living thing on the Planet is the question of food. Alas, for some reason, in most cases, with respect to aquarium fish, people forget about it and believe that having filled them with a pinch of daphnia or other food, this will be quite enough for their normal existence.
However, it is not!
The diet of any pet should be varied and correct. For example, people buy kittens and dogs for dry food, meat, chicken and milk with sour cream. Moreover, they give vitamins and other supplements.
The same should be the aquarium pets. Their diet should be balanced.
A beginner aquarist should not be afraid of “scary words”: live food, freezing, live dust. No need to think that all this needs to get, grind and cook.
Everything is much easier than it seems! And in this I will try to convince you.
Group of fish
UNCLEAR LEARNINGS OF FEEDING FISHES First, you need to read and study the literature about your fish. Find out their taste preferences and behavioral characteristics.
Having repulsed from the received information, it is necessary to select the appropriate dry feed, which can be divided into groups:
Flakes, plates (for feeding fish floating on the surface and in the water column)
Pellets (for larger fish)
Tablets (sinking food for catfish and other bottom fish)
There are other specialized fish food that are sold to pet stores, for example, to improve the color of fish or special food for a certain type of fish, for example, Discus Menu.
Based on my own experience, I want to advise you to take several types of feed at once and mix them in one can. This is due to the fact that aquariums usually contain different types of fish that require different feeding.
Mixing dry food of the same form, we get a kind of mix that is suitable for all fish.
When purchasing feed, you should also pay attention to the shelf life and packing density of the feed. This should be done due to the fact that over time, dry food loses its properties, and if packaging is violated (storage conditions), pathogenic flora will generally form in the food.
Also, one should give preference to feeds of well-known trademarks, for example, TM Sera or Tetra.
Secondly, when feeding aquarium fish you should not forget about vitamins, which go as an additive to food.
Vitamin A – necessary for cell growth, especially for fry and juveniles. Lack of this vitamin leads to slow growth and curvature of the back and fins.
Also, vitamin A reduces stress.
Vitamin D3 – participates in the development of the skeletal system.
Vitamin E – necessary for the reproductive system of fish. Vitamins A and E are used together because they are ineffective without each other.
Vitamins of group B (B1 – thiamine, B2 – riboflavin, B12) – normalize fish metabolism.
Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) – forms teeth and bones, is involved in metabolism.
Vitamin H (biotin) – needed for cell development.
Vitamin M – lack of folic acid is expressed in the darkening of the color of the fish, they become sluggish.
Vitamin K – need for circulatory system.
Choline – needed for normal growth, as well as regulates the sugar content in the blood.
As a recommendation, you can recommend the following products:
Sera fishtamin – emulsified multi-vitamin preparation for strengthening fish during and after diseases, after settling in a new aquarium, for breeding and for enriching the feed for fry with vitamins. sera fishtamin is also suitable for strengthening pond fish before and after hibernation.
It can be added directly to the aquarium water. However, it is better to add 6-7 drops to 1 fish in the feed a few minutes before feeding.
1. During the illness and after recovery of the fish, fishtamine should be added daily directly to the aquarium at the rate of: 6-7 drops per 50 liters of water. Aquarium lighting is desirable to turn off.
2. After possible stresses, such as transportation, placing fish in a crowded aquarium or in cases when incompatible types of fish are in the same aquarium, as well as with each water change, you need to add Fishtamin in the amount of 4-6 drops to feed. Fishtamine is added directly to the feed, which quickly absorbs the drug and after a short period of time can be used to feed your fish.
Fishtamine can be added directly to the aquarium at the rate of: 6-7 drops per 50 liters of water. It is advisable to turn off the aquarium lighting.
3. After relocating new fish to the aquarium, you need to quickly add Fishtamine directly to the aquarium from the calculation: 6-7 drops per 50 liters of water.
4. In order to breed, it is necessary to add Fishtamine before the spawning process begins and within ten days after the process starts directly to the fish feed at the rate of: 4-6 drops per 50 liters of water. It is necessary to wait some time until the drug is absorbed into the feed and then feed.
5. To improve the growth of fry, it is necessary to add Fishtamine directly to Micron, Micropan, Micrograin or Artemia solution once every two days, mix quickly and give enriched feed to the young fish. The daily dose of fishtamine can vary from one to five drops and depends on the amount of feed and the number of fry.
6. To enrich the frozen live feed with vitamins, immediately before feeding, add Fishtamine to feed at the rate of: three to four drops for each portion of feed after it is thawed. It is necessary to wait some time until the drug is absorbed into the feed and then feed.
7. To create optimal conditions for the existence of pond fish in late autumn, as long as the fish take food, and also in early spring, as soon as the fish begin to take food; for prophylaxis, as well as during the treatment of fish from viral diseases, fishtamine should be added daily for three weeks in a volume of 10-12 drops directly to the feed of pond fish. It is necessary to wait some time until the drug is absorbed into the feed and then feed.
Content of additives per 1 ml:
Vitamin A 500 I.E.
Vitamin B1 2.00 mg
Vitamin B2 2.00 mg
Vitamin B6 2.00 mg
Vitamin B12 2.00 mcg
Vitamin C 55.00 mg
Vitamin D3 100 I.E.
Vitamin E 5.00 mg
Vitamin K3 1.00 mg
Nicotinic acid 10.00 mg
Calcium Pantothenate 5.00 mg
Folic acid 0.50 mg
Tetra vital – provides the fish with vital energy and health, as well as a natural color.
Tetra Vital contains essential vitamins, minerals and trace elements characteristic of the natural habitat. Their content in the aquarium decreases with time, and tap water is not able to compensate for the loss.
Thanks to Tetra Vital, you can create an almost identical natural habitat for fish, where they will be provided with comfortable conditions and a brighter color.
– Natural B vitamins are used to increase the vitality of fish and combat stress.
– Magnesium provides well-being and promotes healthy growth.
– Panthenol cares for fish mucous membranes
– Iodine contributes to the preparation of fish for spawning, as well as successful spawning.
– Vital trace elements help to avoid problems associated with their deficiency
– Promotes the growth of plants and microorganisms
– Suitable for any freshwater aquarium.
To enhance the action of Tetra Vital, use Tetra AquaSafe.
Instructions for use. Shake well before use. Add 5 ml of Tetra Vital to 10 liters of aquarium water every 4 weeks.
In case of severe stress, it is recommended to double the dose.
Thirdly, the most important trick! This use of live and frozen feed.
Live food is a variety of mosquito larvae, small crustaceans and all kinds of worms that are used in feeding fish. The most popular of them are: bloodworm, artemia, sap, daphnia, tubule, rotifers, gammarus.
Live food is the most useful and natural food for fish, providing them with all the necessary microelements. Such feed is recommended to be used in conjunction with other types of feed and given 2-3 times a week.
The composition of some organisms used as live food Nowadays, especially in megacities and large cities, it is difficult to find high-quality live food for fish. It is also worth noting that, along with live food, it is possible to add “contagion” to the aquarium – pathogenic bacteria, fungi and viruses. Therefore, you should always be careful with live food, it is better to grow it yourself and rinse thoroughly before serving.
Knowing that many aquarists, especially the fair sex, do not like and are even afraid to mess with worms and larvae, I can recommend an interesting and even fascinating way of extracting live food Sera artemia-mix – Ready mix for growing Nauplii Artemia. Nauplii (cubs) of brine shrimp (Artemia) is a great delicacy for fry of all species of fish. Adult fish and many invertebrates also greedily eat nauplii and adult shrimps.
Artemia-mix is a ready-to-use product. All you have to do is pour the contents of the bag into 500 ml of water and air it. With this set, even people who have no experience in breeding live food can grow nauplii.
The biological value of nauplii becomes even higher, due to the use of sea salt rich in minerals in sera Artemia-mix. Artemia eggs from the great salt lakes of the state of Utah (USA) are used in the sera Artemia-mix – especially high quality.
Here is a detailed video of how to grow nauplii
Well, for those who do not want to mess around with live food at all, there is a ready-made live food freeze. Frost for fishB – it is ready-to-use, frozen and packaged live food.
Its charm lies in the fact that you do not need to “get” anything, you only need to get a cube of frozen food and throw it into the fish feeder.
+ such feed, manufacturers process it and monitor its purity. The probability to bring “contagion” in the aquarium is small.
– as a result of processing, the beneficial properties of the feed are lost.
Note: Before serving, it is desirable to freeze it to thaw (10-15 min.)
And finally, the fourth trick – the food from our table. Here, look, please, the video posted by our moderator, Esta, about how her cichlids eat a leaf of lettuce.
Charming is not true! Many fish, especially cichlids, respect the greens: lettuce, spinach, scalded cabbage leaves, cucumber, and even carrots.
Many people know that keeping African cichlids with live aquarium plants is almost impossible. Nevertheless, they need plant food.
And such a leaf of lettuce, once or twice a week, is an excellent way out for tsikhlovykh.
Also, by the example of a user of our site Qper, it is worth highlighting the question of protein mixes made by yourself. For his precious and beloved cichlids, he cooks and gives the following mince once a week:
– BEEF HEART, CLEARED FROM FILM;
– TILYPI FILET (PANGASIUS);
– SALMARA FILLET;
– SHEETS SALTA;
Here is such an appetizing pate! There are a lot of similar recipes and, if you wish, you can easily find them on the Internet.
The main thing is that in this way you can and should feed the fish.
You can make only one important remark about feeding fish like mince – you should try to exclude (minimize) the meat of warm-blooded animals from them. The food system of fish is not able to digest such meat, because of which it can develop pathogenic flora and as a result of the disease.
Minced meat containing warm-blooded animals should be given rarely as a delicacy.
Live food in aquarium: advantages and disadvantages
Frozen feed is considered less dangerous. When frozen, many parasites, protozoa, and some (but not all) bacteria die.
However, no harmful and toxic chemicals go anywhere. In addition, a crucial role is played by the quality of the feed, which has been frozen.
If frozen, for example, stale remnants of unsold moth, who did not bother to pre-wash and disinfect, then this feed may be even more harmful than living.
Serious industrial manufacturers of frozen food guarantee quality raw materials and disinfection carried out, but if transportation and storage are carried out in bad faith, defrosting and repeated freezing is allowed, feeding them fish is harmful and dangerous.
Bloodworm – the oldest and most common live food for adult aquarium fish of medium size. These are mosquito larvae, though not those that bite us in summer in nature. It is found in different sizes, which allows you to choose it to the size of aquarium fish.
He eats them with pleasure, no side effects have been noticed. It is easily frozen and stored frozen in a freezer without any problems. With frozen larvae, it is impossible to infect the aquarium.
You can buy bloodworms in almost any pet store or in the pet market. It is also used in sports and amateur fishing, especially in winter.
Large as a nozzle, small as bait.
Live Moth – The common name of mosquito larvae. Depending on the type and conditions of development, the length of the larva varies from 10 to 25 millimeters, the color is usually bright red. Lives on the bottom, in silted soil, small ponds, lakes and gulfs of rivers, with a slight current or without it.
It is fed with various organic residues that can be found in silt or on its surface.
In summer, adult mosquitoes lay tiny eggs in the water, small gray larvae hatch from them. These larvae periodically molt. After their first molt, they acquire a characteristic red color.
Secretions of the salivary glands allow the larvae to create a cocoon by gluing together the surrounding debris. The free front part protruding from the cocoon is used to search for food.
Grown larvae pupate, and matured pupae float to the surface of the water and mosquitoes emerge from them.
WHEELS DESCRIPTION BREEDING PHOTOS AND VIDEOS