Among the many inhabitants of aquariums are labyrinth fishes. They are able to compensate for the lack of oxygen in water due to inhalation of it directly from the air.
There are no less than 20 species of fish, but there are individuals that are popular among aquarists and have a peculiar color and unusual behavior. Conditions of detention are different from ordinary Karasikov.
Labyrinth aquarium fish attractive for aquarists combination of beautiful appearance and unpretentiousness to the conditions of detention.
Most of the labyrinth fish for the aquarium come from the warm countries of Africa and Southeast Asia. There, in the wild, they live in fresh and shallow waters, with muddy water from swampy stretches of rivers, as well as small lakes and puddles.
The hot climate of the southern tropics, the lack of flow and the abundance of vegetable organics impoverish small areas of dissolved oxygen.
The problem of survival, when the gills become ineffective, led to the natural evolution of the fish organism: the creation of a kind of light – the maze. This formation allows, in addition to oxygen obtained from turbid water, to take it directly from the air.
The organ is located near the gills on both sides of the head and is a system of membranes penetrated by capillaries. It resembles a maze of blood vessels.
Nadzhaberny device provides fish with oxygen from the air and is an integral function of the body. Without it, in pure water, an individual will die from suffocation.
In an aquarium it is often observed that representatives of the labyrinth fish periodically rise to the surface for a breath of air.
Labyrinth fish are circus. They are attractive combination of beautiful appearance and unpretentiousness to the conditions of detention.
The second name of the owners of a unique organ is creepy (Latin Anabantoidei), or anabasic. They have such features:
- body oblong and flattened;
- head small with small eyes and mouth;
- fins are all long, abdominal and pectoral filiform;
- the color is bright and especially expressive in the dark; in males it is more intense.
All labyrinth species of fish show slowness and smoothness of movements, parental instincts are well pronounced. During the preparation period for spawning, the males create nests from air bubbles and their own mucus.
Eggs are placed in a bowl, where the fry grow, and when they mature, they spread.
Mature individuals of the anabasic family are indifferent to the purity of the water. The young of the labyrinth species of fish during the first month of life does not have protection from the turbid and oxygen-depleted environment, since their respiratory organ is in the formative stage.
This circumstance is taken into account when grooming fry at home.
Lyalius grow well in small, warm and well-overgrown aquariums.
The list of labyrinth aquarium fish, popular with amateurs, includes the following breeds:
- Macropods are black, red spine and common. In the natural environment inhabit the rice fields, quite hardy. Aquarium water for them does not require aeration and filtration. The scales are greenish with orange stripes or without them, the maximum length is 12.5 cm. Any food – animal and vegetable, dry or frozen, grass from the aquarium. Aggressiveness is shown during spawning. The optimum temperature is 24―27ºС, but fluctuations are allowed within 10―33 degrees.
- Gourami – painted in gold, marble, pearl, silver color, but spotted individuals are more common. The body size is 12–15 cm, sometimes it attacks small fish, and it is necessary to set aside especially aggressive ones for large inhabitants of the aquarium. The diet contains 40% of live food. The temperature regime is maintained at 24―28ºС.
- Cockerels – there are more than 50 species of labyrinth aquarium fish, differing in shape and color of fins: they are red-blue, orange, yellow-blue, green. Their character is pugnacious, similar to the behavior of roosters – they inflate the gills to the position of the collar, and at such moments the colors become especially bright. The diet of fish includes all kinds of food, but you can not allow them to overfeed. In favorable conditions, the fighters live up to three years.
- Anabasy (slider fish) – suitable for keeping in an aquarium. The vessel is filled with dense vegetation so that it is easier for the inhabitants to divide the territory, avoiding conflicts. They acquired the property of navigating land when they crawled out of the drying-out reservoirs into the filled ones using a labyrinth organ. In modern crawlers, movement along the ground occurs with the help of fins, and the ability to bury them in wet silt for up to two days helps them to wait out the drought.
- Lyalius – shy fish up to 6 cm long yellow, blue and greenish in color with red spots on the fins. In aquariums from 50 liters they are settled in flocks. The aquatic environment is planted with shady plants and illuminated. Fish feed on surface feed, comfortable temperature – 24―28ºС.
- Labiozy (spongy coliza) is similar in appearance to liliusi, but grows up to 8 cm. The body is tall and rounded. The male differs from the female in the shape of the fin: in the first one – pointed feathers, in the other – rounded.
For spawning of labyrinth fish, use a separate tank with a lid having air vents. A top limit is necessary to prevent the sliders from jumping out of the aquarium.
Supervision is to maintain the desired composition of the aqueous medium and its temperature. It is necessary to monitor enough vegetation and properly feed the fish with a kind of breathing apparatus.
Thanks to a special nadzhabernuyu body can long remain outside the water.
It is necessary to follow some recommendations on the ichthyofauna content:
- Transportation of individuals in a tank, filled to the top with water – under the cover itself, is not allowed. Permanent housing is selected according to the variety and quantity: a tank of 25 liters is suitable for five males, and for the same number of gourami you will need a glass tank of 120 liters.
- Aeration of the aquarium is not mandatory, but periodic replacement of water is required: the environment should be mild and acidic, the content of nitrates, salts and ammonia should be constantly monitored. In hard water anabass will not multiply.
- The behavior of the fish is relatively peaceful, but during the spawning period, the males show aggression. Labyrinth individuals are not combined with cichlids and gold karasikami. Good neighbors are non-predatory ichthyofauna breeds.
- It is better to choose plants with wide leaves – on their bottom males arrange nests for caviar. The more flora, the better, but the excess will affect the condition of the fish.
- Lighting is recommended diffused and not too bright. The temperature is maintained in the range of 22―26ºС.
- The scenery serves not only as a decoration for the aquarium, but also as a shelter for its inhabitants. Snags, coconut shells, shards of pots – all this will emphasize the beauty of the fish. It is important that there are no sharp corners in the constructions.
Feeding is carried out periodically by any kind of food. The main thing – to prevent the emergence of excess weight in pets: they will become less active.
Food is recommended to scatter over the entire water surface. Delicious products – bloodworm, earthworms, live and frozen cyclops.
If you liked the video – share with friends: