Despite the fact that the surgeon-fish seems to be absolutely harmless creature, its name is quite justified. There is no doubt that the reason for this determination was the very sharp spines located in the region of the caudal fin.
Usually they are pressed to her body, but at the slightest threat the fish immediately pushes them apart, and the spikes become a real and truly dangerous weapon.
Because of the sharp tail of the fish were called “scalpel fish.”
Fish-surgeon easy to remember. Ichthyologists distinguish the following external features of this bright inhabitant of the oceans:
- medium size;
- bright color, which can be lemon, blue, brown with a variety of ornaments or red;
- torso in the form of an oval, whose length varies from 10 to 100 centimeters;
- small mouth;
- wide fins.
The fish does not realize that others have a desire to better consider it and just touch it due to its attractive color, it sees in any attention to itself a manifestation of aggression. In this regard, it is necessary to maintain distance.
It is easy to understand why the surgeon fish is so called: its spikes are able to make serious cuts. First of all, this warning applies to diving enthusiasts who have the maximum chance of being close to this fish.
It is known that it lives in the oceans, in those places where coral reefs are located.
In a quiet state, the “scalpels” of the fish are pressed against the telun in case of danger, they rise sharply and with a powerful movement of the tail can cause serious wounds.
Such fish most often lead solitary existence. In large flocks, sometimes containing up to a thousand individuals, they gather only in the case of an acute shortage of necessary nutrition, but as they become saturated, these communities immediately disintegrate.
Under natural conditions, their food consists mainly of algae or plankton. At the same time, such fish themselves are often the victims of sharks, which the surgeons’ spikes are not scared of.
Such fish are usually considered daytime, they are also inclined to protect and defend the territory that they consider their own. There are not allowed any other representatives of the fauna, or even fellow surgeons.
The process of breeding fish start from 3 years of age. The female lays nearly 40 thousand eggs at the same time, and the transparent fry that appear have absolutely no resemblance to their parents. Their coloring is more neutral, besides they have no thorns.
The young, not yet fully matured, trying to hide in the depths of the reefs, where large-sized predators do not go.
The main food is algae, detritus, thalli, and zooplankton.
Certain types of surgeons can live over 20 years. They can not be used for culinary purposes, because the meat of such fish is absolutely tasteless.
Surgeon fish have long enjoyed considerable popularity for breeding in aquarium conditions. This is facilitated by several of their distinctive features:
- unpretentiousness in relation to the environment;
- small size, which in captivity usually does not exceed 10 centimeters;
- attractive appearance;
- easy coexistence with other species of tropical fish.
An individual can live in an aquarium with a volume of at least 1 thousand liters. Water should be as clean as possible and certainly fresh.
If the surgeon finds himself in captivity immediately after living in the wild, he very aggravatedly perceives the new conditions of existence, therefore, they should be as close as possible to the habitat of the individual.
In nature, there are approximately 80 species of fish belonging to the category of surgeons. Among the most famous are:
- Arabian surgeon. This option is the most common. His gray body is lined with black stripes, and it is also easy to recognize by the yellow spot and orange spikes. The length of an Arabian is most often 40 centimeters.
- Blue surgeon fish. This species is very effective and easily recognizable due to the blue body and black border, which is located along the edges of the fins.
- Fish blue surgeon (imperial). It has a dark blue color, and on the fins and the head it has dark spots. The tail and tips of the fins of this species are usually yellow.
- Fish fox. The most famous among the species of such fish. It has an extremely non-standard form of the whole body, a white color and a rather long muzzle, resembling a fox. Her body has a yellow tinge, and the fins are extremely poisonous.
- Moorish idol. Lives in ocean waters. The body is compressed laterally, the fins are triangular in shape. There is a curious combination of yellow, white and black shades in the coloring.
With proper handling the fish-surgeon will bring real pleasure the owner of the aquarium, because it is actually very beautiful. But we should not forget that such individuals can show aggression and become a source of danger.
If you liked the video – share with friends: