maintenance, care, compatibility
Those who have long or recently had an aquarium, probably know the feeling of anxiety for health and even life at the sight of a “ward” who has changed his usual behavior or appearance. One of the common causes of such experiences is bloating in the fish.
In this article we will try to figure out what could be its causes and how to correct the situation.
This is perhaps the most pleasant and innocuous reason for the abdominal distention in the fish. In the abdomen of the female, caviar is formed and developed, due to which the stomach can become quite impressive.
What to do: be patient and wait for spawning, while at the same time properly caring for the future mother.
Some fish swallow large chunks of food, which then can be in their body for up to several days, inflate their stomachs and cause indigestion. To prevent this from happening, crush the food into smaller pieces.
The lack of restraint in the diet leads to obesity in fish, as a result of which their stomachs swell again.
What to do: unfortunately, there is nothing to be done here, in 99.9% everything ends in death.
Such fish during life often additionally suffer abdominal edema and cannot multiply due to obesity of the ovaries and testes. And there can be only one advice – do not overfeed.
This trouble often catches the fish in aquarists who do not attach importance to the quality and diversity of feed. The stomach and intestines can inflame.
The fishes become lethargic, weakened, their body color and fins darken, their excrement changes, the sense of balance is lost, and the abdomen swells. Appetite is preserved.
What to do: do not get involved in dry feed; wash, soak, and, if necessary, disinfect the feed (bloodworm and pipe sweeper); to diversify the diet.
Bring it into the aquarium with the soil, snags, plants, snails, food or fish from a natural pond or other already infected aquarium.
Identify the disease can be ruffled scales, making the fish look like a pine cone, rapid breathing, weakness, dullness of color, inflammation and swelling of the abdomen and sides.
Viral and bacterial infections lead to the disease. And also it occurs against the background of hexamitosis.
Fish of all species and ages can catch it, but old, weakened, obese, experiencing constant stress and individuals living in poor conditions are at risk. The disease is contagious, enters the body through small wounds on the body.
- For prevention – to create normal conditions for life, feed correctly and in a variety of ways, and keep new fish in quarantine before being placed in a common aquarium.
- For healing, place in a separate vessel and make therapeutic baths with special preparations. You can buy them in pet stores. Learn the proportions and treatment regimen from the instructions.
Inside the body of the fish, a tumor appears and begins to grow, swelling the abdomen. It can be caused by genetic features or external factors (exposure to “chemistry”, radiation, etc.).
What to do: unfortunately, there is nothing you can do, and most often these fish are disposed of.
You can bring them into the aquarium with live food, but this rarely happens. Most often they do not harm.
But if there are too many of them in the body of the fish, then everything could end in its death.
What to do: treat drugs for worms that are sold in pet stores.
Its pathogen is the vibrio bacterium. Disease prone fish living in salty or brackish water.
However, bacteria can get into the freshwater home pond with seafood.
All fish with poor living conditions and weakened immunity are at risk.
The disease can occur acutely or chronically and is manifested by lethargy, apathy, rapid breathing, desire for solitude, subcutaneous hemorrhage, changes in the skin of the fin on the back, tumors, ulcers, etc., including abdominal distention.
Often, vibriosis is confused with other infectious sores, and only a research in a laboratory can reveal the truth.
What to do: put in quarantine and treat with antibiotics, nitrofurans and sulfonamides, adding them to water, as well as chloramphenicol (for food). All drugs are purchased at the pet store, and the dosage and time of treatment are indicated in the instructions for them.
Prevention consists in thorough care, disinfection of water and feed, control of nitrates, nitrites and ammonia in water.
Cichlids of East African water bodies are susceptible to this disease. It was first found in fish from Lake Malawi.
Symptoms are similar to dropsy, but this is a completely different disease. Little is researched.
It can be identified by lethargy, loss of appetite, shortness of breath, or increased breathing. At first, the fish keeps near the surface of the water, but during the day, the belly is very swollen and it can no longer swim, lies at the bottom.
Death occurs a maximum of three days.
The causes of the disease are considered to be poor quality water, the presence of sodium chloride in water for a long time, a diet consisting only of dry fodder and mammalian meat.
What to do: exclude the causes of the disease. You can try to cure broad-spectrum antibiotics, but their effectiveness has not been proven.
Fishes often die before suffering, therefore they are most often subjected to euthanasia.
Swollen or very large belly may be in fish – unsuccessful experiments of breeders. Such individuals are considered underdeveloped and inferior.
In conclusion, we can add that slow flowing swelling may be due to tapeworms, obesity, or a tumor. And rapid – due to pathogenic bacteria or poor conditions of detention.
Take care of your fish, do not let their food and life drift.
The aquarium fish fighting cockerel needs full care and in proper conditions of detention. If these rules are not followed, the fish may become ill, with negative consequences.
Diseases are easily transmitted to other fish that live in the same aquarium with a rooster, even if it is divided into two halves by a partition. The treatment is simplified if she initially lives in a separate tank.
If you observe: changes in the appearance, behavior and physiology of pets, it may be the symptoms of their disease.
- Symptoms of the disease appeared quickly, suddenly, and they showed up in other fish? Then the reason is as aquarium water. What to do: make measurements of water parameters using a water thermometer, litmus paper, pH value. Learn indicators of ammonia, nitrates and nitrites, temperature, CO2, oxygen. Be sure to change the water to fresh and clean.
- If symptoms of the disease appear in all fish, or in fish of the same species, it means that their organism is susceptible to infection. What to do: transplant diseased fish to a quarantine tank, do an inspection, diagnose all the symptoms, establish a diagnosis. Then you can treat.
Fin rot (Latin name: Aeromonas, Pseudomonas, Vibrio)
A terrible disease of the fish, which may be exposed to cockerels. Their fins are affected by pathogenic bacteria that completely destroy the structure of the fin.
Symptoms of the disease: clouding of the fins, their sticking, the appearance of a white border, ulcers at the base of the fins, the cornea of the eyes may dim.
The main cause of the disease is improper care of the reservoir. A cockerel fish can get sick if:
- Aquarium for fish overpopulated;
- Water changes are rare or absent;
- Residues of the feed are not removed from the ground; the bottom siphon is not produced;
- The filter is bad or dirty;
- The new neighbors of the rooster did not stay in quarantine, or the roosters were placed in an aquarium with sick fish.
See how to treat fin rot.
Even in an ideal, at first glance, aquarium, cockerel fish can get sick. Fin rot is an infectious disease that exists almost everywhere, and it develops rapidly in a favorable environment.
Treatment of fish is permissible with the use of anti-fungal and anti-bacterial drugs, which allow in a few days to limit the growth of bacteria, after which the fish can be fully treated. Preparations for treating fin rot in males: malachite green, Sera Baktopur, streptocid 1.5 g per 10 liters of water (baths), Tetra GeneralTonic (Tetra), Antipar, Fiosept, Tripaflavin. Can be used for the treatment of salt baths: for cockerel 7-10 grams of salt per 1 liter of water.
They can be arranged 30 minutes a day. All preparations for fish should be used according to the instructions for use.
The causative agent of fish disease is the ichthyoftirius infusoria. It hits their body, covering it with spots like semolina.
Every year this disease mutates, it becomes harder to cure. Previously, it was treated by heating water to a temperature of 30-35 ° C, single-celled were destroyed.
Modern ichthyophthiriosis is not always treatable with medication.
Symptoms of the disease: the fish becomes lethargic, rubs against the ground, eats poorly, swims in jerks, trembles. On the head appears “semolina”, which is distributed throughout the body. In males, parasitic unicellulars appear if:
- Behind an aquarium do not clean, do not replace water;
- If the tank is overpopulated, cramped for fish;
- When the cockerel is overfed;
- New plants or fish have not been quarantined;
- In an aquarium for fish there is cool water, below 25 ° C.
Watch a video on how to treat ichthyophthyriosis.
Treatment of fish ichthyophthiriosis is possible with the use of sea or table salt, methylene blue, malachite green. Also use drugs Bicillin-5, Trypaflavin, Antipar, Sera Costapur. Doses of drugs should be selected according to the instructions.
Another treatment condition is water heating up to a temperature of 30-32 degrees, but preventing overheating. This should be during the treatment of fish.
After recovery, the fish for 3-5 days should be in the water with such a temperature, as a preventive measure. Do not forget to treat the entire aquarium with the bicillin -5 and replace the water with clean.
Oodinum flagellum – the causative agent of the disease. The reasons for their spread are cool water, new neighbors untreated in quarantine, poor aquarium cleaning.
When a fish is sick, gray or golden nodules form on the edges of its fins. Then the scales exfoliate, the fins stick together.
Sick fish does not breathe, does not eat, moves in jerks, rubs against the bottom. The cockerel fish along with other fish should be treated in a quarantine tank, with heated water temperatures.
They are treated with drugs Sera oodinopur, JBL Oodinol, Tetra Medika General Tonic, Ichthiophore, Formed or Antipar according to the instructions. Also replace the water for small fish with clean, process all decorations and plants.
See also: Aquarium species of cockerels, Compatibility of cockerels with other fish and inhabitants of the aquarium.
1. Disease – “dropsy”. In this case, ruffling of the scales is observed, because of which the fish begins to resemble a pine cone;
2. Illness – “Malawi swelling”. Characteristically for cichlids living in the East African coast, engaged in the incubation of eggs in the mouth;
3. Females have the possibility of abdominal bloating during her pregnancy or the formation of eggs;
4. Certain individuals of fish have a habit of swallowing large pieces of food. Typically, such individuals lack large pieces of food in the stomach for several days, during which they seem swollen and more than usual. It is desirable to avoid this and give individuals small pieces of food, otherwise the absorption of large pieces of food can cause upset the digestive tract;
5. Unsuccessful selection often leads to the birth of underdeveloped and imperfect fish, with a swollen or very large belly;
6. Ribbon worms are able to penetrate the fish’s stomach and cause abdominal distention;
7. Tumor inside the individual may cause asymmetrical abdominal distention;
8. Long-term obesity often causes swelling of the fish with long feeding it is not appropriate food;
9. The “Vibrioz” disease, however, is not in all cases.
The cockerel fish fell ill. Overfed and swollen belly.
The forum said not to feed for five days.
In fish, obstruction is similar, not infection. Feed it impossible. Males can not be fed alone flakes, be sure to give live food, otherwise digestive problems.
The fish will most likely die. Read about the content of the fish, and you have a small amount, and rare substitutions, and the food is probably wrong.
From here both illnesses, and reduction of term of life.
No need to mock a living organism. Fish just a shock. Such a small volume and such frequent replacement of water should have killed her for a long time.
I’m surprised at her vitality. I can advise you to leave her alone for a couple of days in a dark place and not even look there, let her come to life, and then there will be an aquarium of liters for 30 grass, and you can read the literature, especially in the internet, without air supply.