Varied genus Barbusov from the carp family gave lovers of aquarium life bright and active fish. Vigorous and unpretentious in content individuals easily breed and delight with their beauty and cocky disposition. Particular attention is paid to feeding, grooming and neighborhood with other fish.
Breeding and breeding barbs is easy, so even a beginner can handle the task.
Barbus fish species of ray-finned fish of the carp family
Most of the representatives of this group have a calm character. But there are also nimble and fast fish.
Barbus live in countries in Africa, South and Southeast Asia. Representatives of the Karpov family live in flocks, are very mobile and in size reach from 4 to 6 cm. Any barbs look bright and spectacular.
When buying at a pet store, it is important to know the description and size of adult fish. As a rule, sell fish adolescence – from 2-6 months.
The genus of barbs was especially prevalent because of its attractiveness for aquarists.
Types of aquarium barbs:
- Shark’s. The name given for the similarity of fins with fins of a predator. Thanks to the silvery scales, a mirror effect is created. Large individuals reach a size of 25 cm and require special care, as well as large space. Characterized by caution and timidity.
- Four line. This species has a curved back. In length, the individual reaches 8 cm. The color of the body is golden yellow, and black and blue stripes pass from the tail to the gill. The fins of the fish are transparent.
- Two-point. The main body color is green, olive or golden. The fin on the back has a red tint with a black spot. Males are smaller than females in size, but look brighter. A red stripe runs along the side of the trunk. Females do not have this feature.
- Cross (Lateristrig). Fish up to 12 cm in length requires an aquarium volume of up to 100 liters, lives on the bottom, is omnivorous. The back of the barb is green with a red tint and has a golden-brown shine on the sides. The profile of the back is curved stronger than the abdomen. There are two black transverse bands on the front of the body. Unpretentious content. Behind the longitudinal black and blue line, tapering to the caudal red fin.
Cross barbus has a length of up to 12 cm
- Oligolepis. It is characterized by a body elongated and compressed on the sides, covered with scales, large eyes and one pair of mustaches. The fish is colored with a yellow-brown shade with mother-of-pearl scales. The color may change depending on the level of content or the occurrence of a sudden danger.
- Denisoni. A very popular type appeared on sale from the beginning of the XXI century, in India it is known under the name “Bloody Eyes” and “Miss Kerala”. The body of the fish is like a torpedo. The main color is silver or gold. The back is distinguished by a greenish tone, and a large black line runs along the sideline. Above it to the fin is a red stripe. The tail is forked, on its blades there are transverse stripes of yellow and black color. Fish awake in the morning and evening. This type of barbs is picky about the quality of water, therefore, good filtration is necessary. The presented species is difficult to multiply, so you need to apply the efforts and knowledge for breeding fry.
- Aroulius. The back is arched more than the abdomen. The upper region of the body is yellow-gray, with a metallic sheen, the back is blue with three spots.
- Sumatran (four band). One of the famous types of barbus sold in pet stores. The main color of an unpretentious look is yellow with black stripes. There are no antennae. The length reaches a maximum of 6 cm. Sumatrans live in a team of six fish, live well in an aquarium with barbs of other species.
The fish is tinted with a yellow-brown shade with mother-of-pearl scales.
- Clown. Part of the back of this species is more arched than the belly. The mouth is finite with two pairs of whiskers, the tail has a double structure. The color varies from orange to red and the sides are light. On the body there are black and blue oval spots, scarlet fins.
- Five Stripe. Friendly individual reaches a length of 5 cm, so enough for living 30 liters of water in the aquarium. The body is compressed from the sides, there are two pairs of antennae. The color on the sides is red-brown with five black stripes vertically. Females are distinguished by a dull shade. Peaceful view can lurk in the thickets of vegetation. Whimsical to the properties of water – it must be sour and soft. Therefore, breeding in the aquarium is not always possible.
- Barbus Schubert. Due to the golden ebb of scales, the fish has become popular in Russia since the 1960s. Shows activity both in day time, and at night. Known as the golden version of the green barb species. There is a pair of whiskers, color from yellow to orange. It contains a flock of up to 4 individuals, so it is recommended to purchase a long aquarium, as the fish is very active. To underline all the charm of color on the bottom of the glass dwelling stack dark ground. Plants are preferably low and short – this will ensure free swimming.
- Fiery. Large fish grow up to 8 cm. Highly mobile individuals, differ in bright colors – a shade of pink with red. This species has no antennae, unlike most barbs. The fins are transparent. Possess tranquility, less demanding, get along well with other cold-resistant species.
Fire barbs get along well with other cold-resistant species
- Butterfly. The color of the back is brown, the sides and belly are yellow, the fins are painted with black border. The fish reaches 3.5 cm in length.
- Albino. This is a selection view derived from the Sumatran type. New color varies from yellow to cream color. An albino may not show gill covers. Such an individual is demanding living and feeding conditions.
- Green. Fish reach 9 cm in length, have a green color. Calm and peacefully adjacent to other individuals, easy to maintain. This option will be good for beginners. They live in groups of up to 10 individuals. To the characteristic of water are undemanding (live in old water).
If you liked the video – share with friends: