maintenance, care, compatibility
Let’s take a closer look at how to keep your live “gold” in the aquarium.
Proper maintenance of goldfish in an aquarium begins with good soil. As mentioned above, suitable pebbles, coarse sand and a fraction of gravel, the size of 3-5 millimeters. True, the fish love to sort through the faction in the mouth, so there is a risk that the fish will choke.
So the fraction should be very small or, on the contrary, very large. Do not forget to install a filter that provides cleaning the soil.
When the content of goldfish there is one major problem – the pollution of the aquarium. Not only do the fishes pretend to be mole-diggers, they also have to get rid of waste.
As a result, the water is polluted and, in order to avoid a bad end, you need a quality internal filter.
It is advisable to install an external filter to ensure biofiltration. Although this condition is not mandatory, but the external filter will help save space in the aquarium for your fish, and it should be cleaned less often.
When buying a filter (both internal and external), pay attention to the performance – it should be at least three or four volumes of the aquarium per hour.
You also need a heater to keep the temperature within 22-25 C. However, with heating you should not be zealous, otherwise you will do your pet a disservice – in warm water the fish age very quickly.
For the safe keeping of goldfish, a compressor is needed, otherwise they will experience oxygen starvation, because this species needs a lot of oxygen in the water.
And finally, the last important element – the UV sterilizer, which will destroy the parasites. We will talk about illnesses a bit later.
Finished with the technical equipment of the aquarium, move on to the plants. Fish will live well in an aquarium in which live plants grow. Plants are beneficial for at least three reasons:
- They improve the ecological situation in the aquatic environment.
- Help fight algae.
- They are an excellent “supplement” to the diet of your goldfish – dilute their diet and supply them with beneficial vitamins.
However, some fish owners are afraid that the bitten plants will spoil the picture in the aquarium, make it a kind of post-apocalyptic place. Such people may be advised to plant lemongrass, anubias, echinodorus or any other plant with hard leaves.
A double effect will be achieved – and your pets are well, and the ecological situation does not cause concern.
- Design small aquariums. People buy small tanks for various reasons. Sometimes a large aquarium does not allow the size of the room. Very often they are chosen by novice lovers, who only get acquainted with underwater inhabitants, and still do not risk to buy a large capacity. But you need to understand that a small aquarium can create big problems. The fact is that it heats up or cools faster, in a small body of water the less stable whole ecosystem. The simplest option is to design an aquarium without live plants (with artificial algae), it is suitable for an inexperienced aquarist. Try to do so that your glass house very quickly not overpopulated inhabitants. Do not make an aquapark out of many types of fish, better buy them in the same style, some of them are visually poorly combined with each other. For aquariums up to 50 liters, it is good to buy a schooling small fish – neons, guppies, endlers, cardinals (up to 50 pieces). Medium-sized fish can settle a smaller number of -20-30 pieces. Cichlid, guram, macropod – no more than 10-12 pieces.
- Round Aquarium Design. Such tanks usually make up to 25 liters, and a lot of fish in them can not fit. But they also need good lighting. It is better to purchase an aquarium with a ready-made high-quality lamp. The round shape and small size do not always allow to install all the necessary equipment, but it can easily be moved around the room if desired. Here, some species of fish will not feel very comfortable. The best option would be guppies, neons, males, most invertebrates.
- Stone Aquarium Design. The shape and size of these decorative elements depends on the taste of the owner and the volume of the container. Now on sale are artificial stones that imitate grottoes or underwater rocks. But cheap samples do not resemble natural formations. Do not forget about the inhabitants, covering the entire soil with stones, catfish and other fish love to rummage in the sand. Do not take bright samples – this may be a sign of the presence of an undesirable element in the stone. Marble with limestone, shells, sea – increase rigidity, it is better to take granite, basalt, or other rocks.
- Ship Aquarium Design. Pirate schooners and brigantines, torn gear, broken bottom, anchor in the sand – this picture brings romance. The main thing in this business is to maintain the scale so that your boat does not look unnatural, toy. A large shell or large algae leaves next to its body can spoil the impression. Although it is all about the personal taste of the aquarist.
- Goldfish Aquarium Design. They are quite tenacious creatures, but for them a small container is no longer suitable. It should be spacious enough – up to 20 liters per fish. Snags, stones and ceramics are suitable for interior decoration. Just make sure that they do not have sharp edges. Golden fish looks best against the background of lush, bright greens, but remember that they quickly eat the plants, turning your garden into a wasteland. Pick up algae with large hard “tasteless” leaves, you can use common Javanese moss.
- Design of a cichlid aquarium. Regardless of the type of these fish, the ground must be present inside. They love to dig here and prefer to breed offspring in pits arranged in secluded places. Cichlids love shelters where they hide from strong individuals or during spawning. Rocks, castles or stone corridors will be very useful here. So you can split a large aquarium into zones, if it contains a lot of fish.
- Design aquarium for discus. They also need a large tank. Buying an aquarium, expect that one adult requires 50 liters, and a small one – 20 liters. Discussions are fearful creatures, they very badly tolerate stress. Aquarium is better not to put near the aisle. Place it better against the wall opposite the window. Try to darken the back wall of the aquarium with a black background, placing a couple of fancy snags and several artificial plants on the bottom. This design option is considered the most successful and common.
Aquariums can be made of any shape and size. The main thing is that the external and internal design of the aquarium fit well into the interior of your office, city apartment, country house, in harmony with the surrounding interior.
Round aquarium – design care design photo video.
The round-shaped aquarium and the goldfish floating in it is a constant attribute of the interior of a small apartment from the last century. But the size of the vessel and its shape impose a lot of unpleasant restrictions on the process of keeping the fish.
For example, it will be extremely difficult to place special equipment in it, so people do without it. And the cons of the vessel are too obvious:
- The standard diameter of the aquarium is about 25 cm with a volume of 15 liters. In such dishes can not put a filter and water can quickly become dirty. In order to solve this problem, you will have to change the water every day. This procedure causes stress in fish, and its implementation is rather troublesome;
- the area of the water surface is small due to the narrowing of the capacity upwards. This leads to a decrease in the amount of oxygen dissolved in water and the appearance of oxygen starvation in fish;
- small volume and lack of space for the heater leads to a significant fluctuation of temperatures, and this in turn causes stress in the fish;
- the size of the vessel does not allow to put in it plants and shelters for fish, which would allow them to feel safe;
- also, a small volume makes it impossible to place in the tank more than three small fish that would not be comfortable in such conditions;
- because of the curved walls, the free movement of the fish will be impossible. And because of the refraction of light and shadows in them, there will be an illusion of constant extraneous movement outside the vessel, which will also become an additional reason for stress.
- Due to these factors and many other stresses, the immunity can be significantly reduced, diseases can occur and even the death of fish that will be placed in a small aquarium. After all, a vessel containing less than fifteen liters is absolutely not suitable for the maintenance of living beings. And such a goldfish common among lovers needs a minimum of fifty liters of water. Some countries, including Austria and Germany, have banned the use of round aquariums, and the fact of keeping fish in them may fall under the article KK “Cruel treatment of animals”.
- Therefore, before you buy a round-shaped aquarium, you should think twice. After all, few people will want to deliberately torture the unfortunate fish in a tiny vase. Yes, and the very content of this punishment cell clean every day will require a serious investment of effort and time. So it would be wiser to save more money and get a good rectangular copy with a volume of at least 160 liters. In this vessel, in addition to fish, you can place beautiful underwater plants, various decorations and equipment necessary for the maintenance of aquatic inhabitants.
The specific shape and small volume do not allow creating thematic landscapes with large-scale decoration in the form of fragments of a ship or ruins of a castle. However, when designing a round aquarium, you can use other design techniques.
For example, among the stones you can place a miniature model of a chest from a pirate ship.
Or lay out a few fragments of ethnic pottery. The main principle on which the decor of the aquarium space of this form is based is minimalism.
Otherwise, for all the elements you will not be able to see the underwater inhabitants.
The cover for a round aquarium performs several functions: it prevents fish from jumping out, getting into non-typical objects, protects animals from children and cats, and also serves as a place for mounting the backlight. Therefore, it is better to purchase an aquarium immediately with a lid than to search for the desired model.
The cover for a round aquarium can be purchased only in specialized stores. It is more difficult to find a cover only for a semicircular aquarium.