Cichlid parrot (Pelvicachromis pulcher) – This is a dwarf fish, which has an attractive appearance and unpretentious character. In Latin, the name means a fish with a belly of a beautiful color.
During spawning, the female’s abdomen acquires a beautiful cherry hue. Outside the mating season, they also differ in their colorful appearance, with aquarists you can find red, yellow, blue, green variations.
For several decades, and albino bred. The size of the males is up to 10 centimeters, the females are smaller – no more than 7 centimeters.
Photo: Parrot Tsikhlida (Common Parrot).
For the first time the zoologist Boulanger described the parrot cichlid in 1901, and in 1913 the representatives of this family were brought to Germany, although no one can name the exact dates when the fish went on sale. Experiments on the crossing of albino females with males with a normal color have also been crowned with success: the red belly is much more noticeable and looks prettier.
The main color of the fish is silvery green, the fins are darker than the rest of the body and have a reddish edging.
Photo: The length of the Parrot Cichlid fish (Pelvicachromis pulcher) reaches 10 cm.
This species of cichlids to the conditions unpretentious, its natural habitat are the rivers of Ethiopia. Usually, parrots are kept in a common aquarium, but the best neighbors are fast-swimming fish, while vuala or bottom fish are best planted in another tank. In the aquarium should be shelters like caves and pebbles.
Fine dark gravel should be chosen as the soil, and plants should also be present in the aquarium.
In food, parrot cichlids are unassuming, they are fed both vegetable and live food. If you want to breed, choose a pair that has already formed, set them for a couple of weeks and feed them well.
As a spawning tank, a 75-liter aquarium is used, the water should be soft – up to 7.0, the water temperature – 27 degrees. In the spawning should be shelter, shallow ground.
The fry that have appeared grow quite quickly, the initial feed is Artemia, small bread crumbs, sea shrimps, the water needs to be changed often enough.
Photo: When spawning fish, take care that they have shelters in the aquarium.
• This species has many names: black, purple, multi-colored cichlid, kribensis, and others;
• Almost all individuals that go on sale are bred by aquarists and not caught in their natural habitat;
• Males differ from females in the form of fins (they seem to be chopped off), as well as in a longer and thinner body;
• During spawning, females become very aggressive, so only a formed pair can be spawned to avoid conflicts;
• Interesting, but researchers have confirmed that cichlids do not have sex in the chromosomes, so fish can “choose” the floor some time after fertilization.