Hello, dear reader! A few days ago you asked me to tell you about the aquaterrarium, or rather how to contain the red-eared turtle. As I promised, I prepared the material for your trial.
The material was quite voluminous, so please be patient and read the article to the end.
The snout turtle is considered a freshwater inhabitant of the ecosystem, so it can be safely maintained in a freshwater aquarium or aquaterrarium. Since the red-eared turtle is a cold-blooded animal, it likes to bask in the sun in natural conditions.
Proceeding from this, if you decide to get yourself an aquaterrarium with turtles, then you definitely need to create open land areas in it so that your pet can climb onto the sticks and have a sun bath. Home to this animal are warm countries: Venezuela, Mexico, USA and Colombia.
The red-eared little turtle, like all of it, is a slow and slow creation of nature. If the animal is starved, then it starts slowly to look for food. As soon as we eat, crawls out into the sun and digests the food eaten.
A couple of hundred years ago, these turtles were even eaten. In addition to this variety that I am describing today, there is also a “yellow-bellied” representative who does not have red spots on his head.
When you buy a turtle for your aquaterrarium, consider that having grown up a red-eared boyfriend can blow up to 30 centimeters in diameter, although such dimensions in captivity are not found in practice. Therefore, I highly recommend finding an aquarium for this pet at least 100 liters. Prepare for the fact that the turtle shits a lot, and this will contribute to more intense pollution of the reservoir.
The larger the aquarium, the easier it is to maintain cleanliness and order. If you read my article about biological equilibrium, then for you what I am saying is not the discovery of the American continent.
The recommended column of water in an aquarium with turtles is at least 40 centimeters or more. This will allow your pet to swim normally and find a rookery in an open land from the water.
In principle, you can take an ordinary aquarium for fish, only it will have to be equipped otherwise. In captivity, the red-eared turtle lives long enough, mostly a couple of decades, if it does not die from any sores.
Although caring for this animal is not difficult, you should be ready to care for him for a year or two. Therefore, I advise you to take this process with all seriousness, if you are not indifferent to the life of your pet.
As I mentioned a little higher, an aquarium for a red-eared turtle does not need a small one (liters per 100-150). If you take the maximum diameter of the turtle shell (30cm), then the thickness of the water column should be an order of magnitude greater.
It is mandatory to cover the aquaterrarium with a cover glass and make sure that there is a gap for access to fresh air. Cover the aquarium glass is necessary in order to one day not to catch your pet around the apartment.
We do not forget for aquaterrariums to acquire all the necessary aquarium equipment: a heater, a filter. The recommended water temperature in an aquarium with turtles is 22-28 degrees. Heater take the standard – with thermo relay.
It is not recommended to lower the temperature below twenty degrees, better keep the heat, it is harmless for these turtles. Since the turtle is a cold-blooded animal, the low water temperature will make the turtle sluggish, slow-moving, resistant to various sores and not hungry for food.
If you wind up several animals in one container, it is recommended to use a jar of larger sizes than I wrote a little higher. In proportion to the number of individuals is not necessary, but you will have to increase the volume by at least half. It is better to take a wide and flat akvasy, which have a decent bottom surface.
If you have financial difficulties with the purchase of an aquarium of 100-200 liters, try to make an aquarium with your own hands. Get ready for the fact that the animals are dirty, so the filter is a necessary attribute in the terrarium.
As in a decorative aquarium, it is also necessary to replace water in an aquaterrarium. Several times a week, 30-40% of water is drained and refilled fresh. Through such activities, you will avoid the accumulation of organic matter in the water, which is harmful for red-eared turtles.
Water must be defended, not straight pouring from the tap. In the aquarium cover we make additional places for mounting incandescent bulbs, which will give the necessary spectrum of light and heat the turtle when it sits on a stone.
But get ready for the fact that incandescent bulbs with respect to fluorescent lamps are not economical.
When you create an aquaterrarium, it is imperative for a turtle to allocate about a third of the land space for sunbathing. Here your imagination can roam in full. You can lay out the stones at an angle in the form of a slide, just take the stones without sharp edges so that the animal does not hurt when it crawls along this embankment.
So that your bulk slide does not collapse from constant use, you can glue up a vertically low partition of organic glass. The market is now a great many sealants, so you have no trouble choosing a normal one.
You can also stick a horizontal shelf of glass or plastic, stick an improvised ladder to the shelf so that the turtle can crawl over it. On the shelf you make a small side and pour coarse sand or granotsev on it.
It is very beautiful when aquariums with turtles are decorated with snags that have been pretreated. In more detail how to prepare a snag for an aquarium, you can read the post on my blog, this information is also available here.
Red-eared turtles are not often fed, usually not more often 3 times a week. But growing youngsters need daily feeding, and this goes on up to 2 years of animal life.
They feed turtles with the same live food, which they give to small aquarium fish. You can give the choke, bloodworm and tubule, only pre-freezing them.
Get ready for the fact that your pets devour all the snails that did not have time to die out or hide. In the summer, turtles are fed with tadpoles, small frogs and earthworms.
In winter, small pieces of liver or fish, shrimp or squid meat can be given.
Be sure to give a vegetable dressing in the form of lettuce or cabbage, spinach. Adults need to destroy all food for half an hour, and what remains not eaten should be removed from the aquarium so as not to spoil the water.
If the abandoned food turned out to be too much, then it is better to cut the soldering. Like aquarium fish, turtles quickly get used to the feeding regime and the place of their meal.
You see, to care for these animals is not hard.
It is not recommended to keep red-eared turtles together with aquarium fish, as they will later go on to feed as the first grows. This turtle is a predator, so small edible neighbors do not start in the form of neighbors.
Growing young animals for fish is not dangerous, but in the past the young were small, but after a while it will grow up, and you will have a dilemma about the resettlement of your pets in different reservoirs.
The situation is similar with aquarium plants. Kohl animal reaches a decent size, in the home aquarium it is not enough place. Therefore, all living plants will either be torn out of the ground, or simply eaten.
You can get out of this situation by using plastic plants that can be bought at any pet store. You will only need to securely attach to the ground and everything.
Of course, you can not take artificial plants and get by with decorating with snags and stones.
If you still want to use live plants (vallisneria or ambulia), then you can resort to a non-standard solution to the problem. The back of the aquaterrarium along its entire length is screened off with a Plexiglas partition. Before you glue it in the aquarium, drill a bunch of small holes for the implementation of the flow of water and do not let your pets eat green grass.
In the same elongated niche poured aquarium soil for plants. It is also possible to contain fish, for example, red neon or cherry barbs.
They do not swim through the drilled holes.
The main feature of red-eared turtles is their magnificent vision. This turtle sees in nature the danger of meters beyond 40. As soon as the animal saw the approaching danger, it immediately hides in the water.
Do not be alarmed if you hear how your pet will snort, squeak and hiss. This is a red-eared turtle in the order of things.
But with hearing they have some problems. However, sharp and loud sounds or knocking in the aquarium can be heard well.
Always remember that adequate housing conditions solve almost all problems with tortoises sores. An infection is easier to prevent than to get rid of it.
Since no one can guarantee a full recovery, I will now describe the most important and frequent diseases and the methods of their treatment. Of course, you can treat your “child” on your own, but as practice has shown, it is better to find a competent veterinarian.
However, to find such people is not always possible, therefore, mostly people independently treat these animals. So, here are the most basic diseases:
– If the tortoise cannot dive, do not eat and swims only on the surface of the aquarium, then the animal is likely to have pneumonia. Very often the cause of this disease is low water temperature.
In this case, I recommend raising the temperature to 30 degrees. You can make in the aquarium with turtles a solution of pharmacy chamomile.
We take a glass of such a solution and pour it into a three-liter jar of water. The temperature of the therapeutic bath should be about 30 degrees.
Take a sick turtle and put on the procedure for 30-6 minutes once a day. Additionally, you can hold the turtle for 5 minutes over the steam of this solution, the main thing is that it is not hot and the turtle breathes steam. Feed the animal with various feeds, and better keep antibiotics for extreme cases;
– If your tortoise suffers from inflammation of the eyes and swollen eyelids, then such an individual is better kept away from other inhabitants of the terrarium, if any. A sick turtle is placed in a dry terrarium and allowed to swim in clean, warm water for a couple of hours. As therapeutic agents, veterinary ophthalmic drugs should be used in which there are either antibiotics or sulfonamides;
– The tortoise shell became soft, there is an uneven detachment of the shell, phlegmatic behavior, lack of appetite. In this situation, the temperature of the water should be raised again to 30 degrees, fed with various foods, given vitamins, installed an ultraviolet lamp.
Sometimes you can use methylene blue in aquarium water as a disinfectant.
I think nobody likes when pets are sick. Despite the fact that most of the diseases are treatable, it is certainly better not to be lazy and perform preventive measures than to spend money on the vet.
You also need to know that there are diseases that a person can get sick with. If you follow the recommendation below, prevention will not take much time and effort. These are the main preventive actions:
- Inspect your pet daily. So you can quickly calculate the disease and cure it in a timely manner. When inspecting an animal, carefully examine the skin, shell and eyes. Watch the bug and its activity. The slightest change from the usual behavior suggests the presence of a disease;
- Regularly clean the dwelling of the turtle. This way you protect your pet from the appearance of various harmful bacteria and microorganisms in it. Like an aquarium, the terrarium is best cleaned once a week and clean up the remnants of the uneaten food. Once a month, the aquaterrarium should be generalized: wash the walls and the soil with otsadiv pre-its inhabitants;
- Regular water changes. If you do not do this, then the turtle shells can beat the algae. When this has already happened, sponge them gently with a sponge without damaging the soft tissue;
- Adequate diet. The correct mode of feeding the turtle is a guarantee of the health of the animal and the absence of rickets, beriberi, disorders of the digestive system and much more. It is better to use natural food rather than synthetic. The natural food has all the necessary vitamins, nutrients and trace elements. In no case do not give spoiled products;
- The source of infection is dirty water. Cool water causes the development of colds. Therefore, keep the heating devices under control;
- Constantly check the lighting and filters. The normal operation of the aquarium equipment will maintain the necessary living conditions in the aquaterrarium, similar to the natural ones;
- Follow the rules of hygiene: wash your hands after contact with turtles;
- Be sure to quarantine sick or recently purchased turtles;
- If possible, limit the contact of other animals with the sick bug. Especially do not allow children in the hands of sick animals, otherwise there is a high risk of infecting the child with an infectious disease. Especially scary stuff salmonellosis;
- If you periodically release your pet to run around the apartment, watch him closely. The slightest damage can cause injury to the limbs or shell. Do not let dogs and cats play with a turtle.
- In the summer, take aquas with a turtle either to the balcony or to the veranda for sunbathing and receiving a dose of ultraviolet radiation;
- Take your pet to the veterinarian regularly. If you doubt the health of the animal, take it to a doctor. You can not determine all the diseases yourself. Know that a correct diagnosis will help the animal to recover as soon as possible;
On this I want to finish today’s article. I hope it was useful for you.