Fans of aquarium fish are aware of the undoubted benefits of snails. Gastropods – orderlies of an aquarium. Many of their species are also the decoration of the aquarium, as they have a variety of shapes and unusual colors.
In order to control the number and prevent the oversupply of mollusks, you need to know how the snails breed in the aquarium and the rules for their maintenance. If you plan to breed snails for sale, then you need to create certain conditions for their normal functioning.
There are several types of mollusks suitable for keeping in an aquarium. Most of them are omnivores, but there are also predatory species.
It is recommended to breed predatory snail species separately from the rest.
The most common types of snails living in aquariums:
- Coil. One of the most common types of freshwater mollusks. They are rarely bred specifically, they usually fall into the home pond with the purchased plant. Produce quickly, so getting rid of this snail is quite difficult. The shell looks like a narrow swirling spiral, which has 4-5 turns. Color is from bright red to brown. In the natural environment, the size reaches 3.5 cm, but in an aquarium it does not grow more than 1 cm. It is very tenacious, it survives in the most difficult conditions and without care.
- Fiza (fizid). This gastropod also often enters a tank for fish by chance. Opinion aquarists about this representative in two ways. Some consider it a useful orderly, others – a pest. Physe is a hermaphrodite, therefore it multiplies quickly and is enough for this to be carried by a single snail. The shell is egg-shaped, has from 3 to 5 turns. Size reaches 17 mm, but in aquariums grows to 8-9 mm. The color can be very diverse: pink, brick, yellow-brown and brown. Undemanding to conditions of detention.
- Ampullary. Very beautiful snail and bring it randomly into the aquarium is impossible. Conditions of detention are the same as for most fish. It is a peaceful mollusk, but rather voracious and with a lack of food it can devour leaves of tender plants, therefore it is better to plant hard-leaved plants. Size reaches large, up to 15 cm. Most often it is yellow, but there are brown, white and dark blue individuals. The shell is shaped like a shell of fizy.
- Melania. Such mollusks can be brought to the aquarium by chance, or you can buy them at the pet store, because they can be useful. They live in the ground, constantly moving, which prevents its acidification and contributes to a better circulation of oxygen in the home water. They are nocturnal, it is almost impossible to see them during the day. The cone-shaped shell with 6-7 turns, reaches a length of 3 cm. The color is light brown with darker spots. With the deterioration of conditions in the aquarium, melania day begin to strive to the surface of the water, which is an indicator of lack of oxygen.
- Helena. These snails are predators and save the owners of aquariums in the case when there are too many other mollusk species. Feel good in soft ground. The conical carapace is up to 2 cm in length, very reminiscent of grinding, but the shell color is yellow with clear dark brown or black stripes. The content of unpretentious, but be aware that dangerous for some species of snails and fish eggs.
The snail Melania, a frequent inhabitant of freshwater aquariums and a good identifier of the oxygen saturation in water.
The most popular among aquarists were ampulyarii because of its beauty and size. These snails of different colors, in one aquarium look very impressive.
Helens are also often acquired to control the reproduction of other species of snails.
For the safety of the home water reservoir, it is strictly not recommended to settle snails found in nature in it. In this way, pathogens that cause fish and plant diseases can be inserted into it.
You need to buy mollusks in a pet store, where they meet sanitary standards.
All types of these aquatic inhabitants are unpretentious in content, so there is no need to create special conditions for their life and breeding snails in the aquarium. Considering that the origin of all mollusks is tropical – the water in the aquarium should not be too cold.
It is better to maintain a temperature of 24-26 degrees. When the temperature drops to 20 degrees, many species slow down their growth, become less active or hibernate.
Too soft water can disrupt the formation and structure of the shell.
The respiratory system of mollusks is designed so that they can breathe under water and additionally receive oxygen, rising to the surface. Therefore, additional aeration of water is not required if there are a sufficient number of plants and few fish in the aquarium.
The digestive system of snails works without stopping and quickly, so they eat constantly. They love to feast on fish food. Seeing him, they can destroy the whole, if they have time.
Therefore, it is necessary to control the amount of feed so that the fish do not go hungry.
Ampularia with a lack of food begin to feed on the vegetation of the aquarium. It is better to keep such snails either in aquariums without vegetation, or with hard plants, so as not to spoil the beauty of the reservoir.
You can additionally feed them with vegetable food that is not eaten by fish: lettuce leaves, grated carrots, and cucumber.
Helena feed on snails and fish roe. It is necessary in time to plant caviar from the aquarium, if you plan to breed fish.
In the absence of other snails, Helen needs to be fed with bloodworms and shrimp meat. It is better to do this at night when the fish are inactive, so that predators do not have time to eat first.
Most snails are hermaphroditic and do not need to create special breeding conditions. For breeding bisexual snails need two individuals.
Since it is impossible to determine the sex of the mollusk, you need to buy 4-5 pieces for a guaranteed result.
In the absence of a partner, self-fertilization is possible, but this is quite rare.
If you watch the snails, you can see that they breed constantly and in large numbers. You need time to look for the children of the owners, they grow quickly and you can lose control over the number of mollusks in the aquarium.
A snail bought for growing to large sizes is not worth pairing. After gestation, mother often stops growing.
Also, this process affects the state of the shell, it exfoliates and cracks, because the snail mother gives calcium to offspring.
It is necessary to prepare only for the reproduction of ampulyaria, the other snails are hermaphroditic. Bisexual do not require special training.
If the goal is to produce offspring, then the adults need to be transplanted into a separate aquarium, then they will immediately begin to mate, not feeling the danger.
Favorable conditions must be met for the safe carrying and laying of caviar:
- water in the aquarium should be 24-25 degrees;
- Do not allow the water temperature to drop;
- give enough feed;
- introduce supplements with calcium content.
Subject to the conditions we can hope for the rapid emergence of healthy offspring. It is necessary to set aside an ampoule only if it is necessary to save the offspring.
In the general aquarium, most babies will die. And if breeding is not the goal, ampularia can breed in the general aquarium.
The incentive to breeding can also be general cleaning in the terrarium.
Same-sex snails breed without a partner. Enough one mollusk who got into the aquarium, and the offspring will be born.
For the reproduction of different sexes need a few individuals. Mollusks make laying of caviar on stones, snags, leaves of plants.
Species such as melania and helena live in the soil and spawn there as well.
Ampulyaria spawn on the wall or under the lid of the aquarium, above the water level. The female explores the walls and finds a suitable place where she lays eggs.
Eggs are large, the process takes about a day. Laying looks like a bunch of grapes, stuck to the glass.
After three weeks, the babies are born, which immediately fall into the water.
After the kids have gone down into the water, the tank should be enriched with oxygen 2 times a day for 20 minutes. From time to time it is necessary to make a partial replacement of water and to promptly store leftovers, dirt and dead snails in containers.
It is hardly necessary to remove the eggshell from the terrarium, as it is eaten by small snails.
The cubs do not need special feeding. Shredded fish food, as well as lettuce greens, is quite suitable for feeding them.
It is not necessary to be afraid of overfeeding, a small ampoule will not eat more than is necessary for growth and development.
The snail is an unpretentious creature and usually tolerates any conditions of detention. But sometimes mollusks are prone to disease:
- With a large number of inhabitants in the aquarium or an insufficient supply of oxygen, the snail hides in its shell and falls into to whom. It is a very sensitive creature and with a lack of oxygen it tries to consume its minimum amount. To solve the problem, you need to plant some fish or replace the aquarium with a larger one.
- Corrosion of the shell is usually due to the content of mollusks in the water with high temperature. On the “house” cracks are similar to shells. When the water temperature drops to 22 degrees, in 2-3 months the problem will go away.
- Holes on the shell and the lid are formed due to soft water and a lack of calcium. It is necessary to increase the hardness of water and add to the diet of the snail leaves of cabbage and lettuce, rich in calcium.
Snails live in all aquariums. When controlling their number, they perform important functions: clean the glass, remove food debris from the bottom, do not allow caking of the soil.
Some of them are beautiful and unusual and serve as a decoration for a home pond. Which species to settle – each aquarist decides on the basis of what benefits he would like to receive from mollusks.
If you liked the video – share with friends: